In an Absolut World...

Highway6

I kinda' wondered what in the world they were thinking. I usually enjoy their ads, but maybe I'm not getting it.

Damn them Russians.

Does this mean we're going to start drinking Texas Vodka?

I believe it was only supposed to appear in "mexican" advertisements... like only in places like Mexico. Even so, it's kind of "not cool". I usually really enjoy their ads. I imagine if they showed one w/ the U.S. completely taking over all of Mexico... many Mexicans would be offended.

Does this mean we're going to start drinking Texas Vodka?

Yes, it does.

And this is an excellent opportunity for Tito to run a special edition retaliatory vodka with a Texas Revolution themed label and ad campaign.

If somebody doesn't do that, it'd just be a travesty.

Yes, it does.

And this is an excellent opportunity for Tito to run a special edition retaliatory vodka with a Texas Revolution themed label and ad campaign.

If somebody doesn't do that, it'd just be a travesty.

Titos is great vodka. Much better than nearly all that disco stuff at twice the price. Viva Tito.

Which reminds me, need to stop by Specs on the way home.

A history class would show that most of that territory was lost in the Mexican American war...so this map shows if Mexico would have won the battle of San Jacinto as well as the Mexican American war...

Hmmmm... I don't see it as Mexico taking over. I see it as an "if Mexico hadn't lost at the Battle of San Jacinto."

I think we all need to take a chill pill and some history classes.

So you wouldn't be offended if Beefeater ran an add in England showing all of Great Britain's former colonial holdings under one flag, the union jack? Would you justify it very simply as something that could've been, "if the French hadn't gotten their act together by Yorktown."

And you wouldn't be offended if Southern Comfort ran an add depicting some idealized world with the Confederacy being carved out from the United States? "In a SoCo world..." What if they had a little inset depicting a slavemaster lashing a black guy strung up to a tree, thereby endorsing the political actions of the Confederacy?

Would you endorse the wishful Absolut ad, with that idealized 'Absolut world' by consuming their product over somebody else's? If not, would you be indifferent that someone else might? Or would you take offense on account of nationalism or perhaps even that Mexico started the chain of events by having renigged on the Constitution of 1824, which in so doing started three civil wars, only the northern one of which they lost?

I encourage you to read up on your Texas and Mexican history. You may become quite a bit more scornful of the actions of the dictatorship that screwed over Mexico so very royally, and also of any glorification of the nation under that tyranny. ...then again, you live in Boston. Government intrusion is a way of life there, or so I understand.

A history class would show that most of that territory was lost in the Mexican American war...so this map shows if Mexico would have won the battle of San Jacinto as well as the Mexican American war...

The Mexican-American War can be thought of as occuring in two phases, the informal and the formal. The first was the Texas Revolution, in which U.S. Army soldiers gone AWOL and volunteers from the southern states were nearly as numerous as resident revolutionaries. The second part was a formal military action by the U.S., but it would've been extraordinarily unlikely had San Jacinto gone awry.

But along Kinkaid's line of reasoning, San Jacinto probably would've been a Mexican success had Santa Ana had not overestimated his military prowess at the Alamo, where he lost a terrible number of soldiers and demoralized many more by having utilized the worst possible tactics available to him. His officers weren't the least bit happy with his lack of compassion, either. He thought himself the 'Napoleon of the West', and by my estimation, it was this machismo that ultimately led to Texian victory.

Anybody that cuts his reign any slack, including the company that owns Absolut, deserves to be chastized. Even Mexican nationalists ought to be chastizing them, if only for reminding them of what they rightly lost by way of an incompetent dictator.

Free country. Misunderstand the ad if you like. Hey, there's plenty of Kamchatka to drink if Absolut ads piss you off.

Me, I like Absolut....and the ad is funny.

THIS is why I drink Grey Goose.

I knew a conservative like TJ would drink FRENCH vodka. Don't let Bill O'Reilly know, TJ.

Free country. Misunderstand the ad if you like. Hey, there's plenty of Kamchatka to drink if Absolut ads piss you off.

Me, I like Absolut....and the ad is funny.

I knew a conservative like TJ would drink FRENCH vodka. Don't let Bill O'Reilly know, TJ.

I like to call it, "Freedom" Vodka !

I didn't really get offended either, but I'm from LA so didn't have my TX history classes. Usually I figure Absolut ads for humor or wit or just plain art, but I don't see how this one is amusing, even to Mexicans. Look, a map of what could have been, but isn't. Super, whatever.

So you wouldn't be offended if Beefeater ran an add in England showing all of Great Britain's former colonial holdings under one flag, the union jack? Would you justify it very simply as something that could've been, "if the French hadn't gotten their act together by Yorktown."

And you wouldn't be offended if Southern Comfort ran an add depicting some idealized world with the Confederacy being carved out from the United States? "In a SoCo world..." What if they had a little inset depicting a slavemaster lashing a black guy strung up to a tree, thereby endorsing the political actions of the Confederacy?

Would you endorse the wishful Absolut ad, with that idealized 'Absolut world' by consuming their product over somebody else's? If not, would you be indifferent that someone else might? Or would you take offense on account of nationalism or perhaps even that Mexico started the chain of events by having renigged on the Constitution of 1824, which in so doing started three civil wars, only the northern one of which they lost?

I encourage you to read up on your Texas and Mexican history. You may become quite a bit more scornful of the actions of the dictatorship that screwed over Mexico so very royally, and also of any glorification of the nation under that tyranny. ...then again, you live in Boston. Government intrusion is a way of life there, or so I understand.

Wow. Get a grip.

You might be happier and less long-winded if you GREW A PAIR and stopped letting ads upset you so much.

Wow. Get a grip.

You might be happier and less long-winded if you GREW A PAIR and stopped letting ads upset you so much.

Whether or not Niche is long winded is a matter for a different thread.

As to whether or not he should be upset depends on WHY he is upset. I think it just depends on how much Civil and Heritage pride you have. As a Texan, I'm DEEPLY offended that to think of that map would be (as I see it) be ideal in their campaign...now... If they put a post 1836 Map.....I might be more obliging..

I'm just sayin'....

Wow. Get a grip.

I'm not actually all that upset at the ad itself. It is that so many people lack a decent understanding of history that irks me. ...and that these people vote!

Archived