Goodbye Foleys

Yeah I'm not glad to see the Foley's name go away either, but we've known this was coming since the acquisition was announced back in March.

A lot of other well known, historic retail names will disappear as a result of this merger as well. Filene's (I wonder which will survive in downtown Boston where Filene's and Macy's are directly across the street from each other), Hecht's, and Kaufmann's will also be going away. Those stores carry just as much sentimental value in their geographic areas as Foley's does here. Not sure what's going to happen with some of the other May brands like Strawbridge's, Famous-Barr, Robinson-May, Meier & Frank, LS Ayres, and The jones Store. Many of those brands are in the Northeast and Midwest, where Macy's was already strong and there is a lot more duplication.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stupidest idea is to tear down the Dillard's store. It's the most profitable Dillards in the nation (the south is where they only exist anyway). They don't need to be attached to be busy. As stated in another post, having the Dillards separated creates that urban pedestrian traffic you urbanists are always drueling for.

Lets just make the old Macy's into a giant flea-market.

Macy's will regret their decision.

Their brand did not work well in Houston before, and I don't think it will this time either.

One Macy's is plenty. I do like them, but do we really need so many?

I think Macy's has a slightly larger selection of a little more upper end clothes. Particularly in the Gay men's section in the center first floor of the Galleria. It's fairly over priced considering if you wait a little while they reduce everything down.

I never was impressed by any of the Foley's I've been in.

Of course I haven't really shopped in a department store in years unless I happen to see a sale on something i want.

What's weir about the Galleria is that many of the designer brands in the store have there own store in the Galleria already.

I think we need both. Macy's tried to hard to push their own cheeseball brand (Al(something).

Downtown Foley's may not be fancy, but it's easy-in, easy-out, for dress shirts, etc.

Of course, if you don't work downtown it may be a pain to get to.

Regarding "converting" the Macy's building into apartments, SURELY what they really mean is building an apartment tower on top of the building, or clearing the site and constructing a new apartment tower. I've thought for years that the Galleria should have a residential component, and was always surprised that Hines never added a residential tower.

One other thought regarding the Macy's store. What the Houston papers have totally missed is that Federated has also said that they are still evalutating the 68 locations that are slated to close, and that some of them may ultimately be converted to Bloomingdale's.

A lot of other well known, historic retail names will disappear as a result of this merger as well. Filene's (I wonder which will survive in downtown Boston where Filene's and Macy's are directly across the street from each other)

The Macy's name will survive in downtown Boston, but they have not decided yet whether it will be in the current Filene's location or the current Macy's location.

Regarding "converting" the Macy's building into apartments, SURELY what they really mean is building an apartment tower on top of the building, or clearing the site and constructing a new apartment tower.  I've thought for years that the Galleria should have a residential component, and was always surprised that Hines never added a residential tower.

One other thought regarding the Macy's store.  What the Houston papers have totally missed is that Federated has also said that they are still evalutating the 68 locations that are slated to close, and that some of them may ultimately be converted to Bloomingdale's.

I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up as another parking garage.

That whole end of the mall needs to be demolishied. It's never really worked since you have to go through Saks or that weird hidden hallway. The chi of the whole place is off. Bloomingdale's might be able to attract people to the Galleria 3, but then again, the bad location might kill it off. Apartments/condos there would be a good idea, because it's just so out of the way for stores. A Bloomingdale's would be better at the Lord & Taylor location, but that space is already on its way to being something else.

If these people were smart, they would leave the Foley's name because of association.

I remember Macy's barnstorming into Baybrook Mall a few years back and were run out about as fast as they came in.

People around these here parts of the world cannot associate with the Macy's name and general corporate bad attitudes.

It is a shame to see the Foley's name being peeled from their store fronts.

The Macy's name will survive in downtown Boston, but they have not decided yet whether it will be in the current Filene's location or the current Macy's location.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I knew Filene's (the name) was out of there; I was really talking about which building would survive as a department store and which would be vacated.

I always liked hitting Filene's when in Boston for work.

bz-mall.jpg

12:23AM

NAME DROPPING

Galleria facing space challenge

An old Houston name, Foley's, is leaving the famed landmark

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Houston Chronicle Article

Here's what I propose.

Bloomingdales buys out the space of Lord & Taylor (as previously suggested before).

Macys? I think they should convert it into an Edwards Cinema, and look into building an apartment complex on top of it (with a rooftop pool). AND they should have the retail at that area of the mall opened 24/7 once the apartment neared 80% occupancy.

Once they do that, they could start looking into building a Galleria 5. And Galleria 5 could be an expansion of the Dillards building by building an underground parking area toward the Zone'D Erotica place AND connecting the Dillard area to the rest of the mall under the street. (You almost wouldn't be able to tell that the mall is connected from street level.) Then convert the outdoor parking area into a three story retail area with an indoor/outdoor feel, with a glass-rooftop atrium, and all the restaurants being along the street wall (first, second, and third floor), direct indoor AND outdoor cafes with an outdoor-urban feel similar to a Paris street, and the restaurant area would all be facing the street between Dillards and the rest of the Galleria. The middle of that area could be a small indoor park.

AND it wouldn't matter if Zone'd Erotica existed or not. If their business succeeded, good for them. If they end up closing that particular location, Galleria could simply buy it out and build MORE retail space to the already existing galleria 5. Better yet, it could be more parking space.

Not only would the Galleria gain noteriety for something like that, but the retail space would probably reach around 3,000,000 square feet.

Remember that Bloomingdale's and Macy's are the same company -- Federated Department Stores of Cincinnati. By the time they're done converting stores, those will be the only two brands they will have. Macy's for the lower middle range, and Bloomies for the upper middle range.

And with the merger, there's no need for them to buy the Lord and Taylor since they already own it. The May/Federated merger puts all of these stores in one company:

Macy

Bloomingdale's can't buy the Lord & Taylor space because the Galleria already plans to convert it into smaller stores.

Noooooo!! Khaaaaaaaaaaannn!! :(

Of course, since Macy's does own them, they might as well have just left Foley's there. Although, Bloomingdale's, I'm sure, would bring in more of a profit in our Galleria than a Foley's. (I'm not for this, just saying.)

Archived