Goodbye Foleys

I'm rather worried about the 2500 Foley's employees downtown. Administrative staff are prime targets for redundencies.

Me too. Many will likely be gone, as May has traditionally kept its regional brands somewhat more inependent than Federated has been doing in recent years.

In some ways I wouldn't mind the change that much if the downtown store stays open and Foley's as a whole climbs back up to the level where it was at the time it was acquired by May in 1988. I think Foley's took a step down and lost a lot of its former glory when that happened. And judging by Federated's stores in other cities that I've shopped in, I do think they, as a whole, do a better job with merchandising and create a classier shopping environment than the average May store.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are right on not missing Foley's. It will be interesting to see the impact in terms of some Foley's are in locations where I doubt they would ever put a Macy's. Ex. Texas City, Almeda. Not sure if eventually they will shut those down as it could bring down the brand image. With only one Macy's before, it made the brand seem, whether it was or not, exclusive. Now there will be Macy's all over town. I think it could be good for downtown if they redo that one. And Simon has got to be trying to bring Bloomingdale's to the Galleria now.

I think you are right on not missing Foley's.  It will be interesting to see the impact in terms of some Foley's are in locations where I doubt they would ever put a Macy's.  Ex. Texas City, Almeda.  Not sure if eventually they will shut those down as it could bring down the brand image.  With only one Macy's before, it made the brand seem, whether it was or not, exclusive.  Now there will be Macy's all over town.  I think it could be good for downtown if they redo that one.  And Simon has got to be trying to bring Bloomingdale's to the Galleria now.

I still do not understand why Macy's would not just keep the brand as another concept. If there is already a Macy's in one location then they can compete. In the locations you mentioned they could keep the name Foley's. Macy's could also take over the prime Foley's.

What about the downtown Foley's. Will that one become a Macy's or just closed down.

I still do not understand why Macy's would not just keep the brand as another concept.  If there is already a Macy's in one location then they can compete.  In the locations you mentioned they could keep the name Foley's.  Macy's could also take over the prime Foley's.   

What about the downtown Foley's.  Will that one become a Macy's or just closed down.

I agree completely, they seem like very different concepts, even down to the store layouts. The new Foley's in the Galleria looks nothing like a Macy's. I would have thought they could keep them both because in some ways they attract different demographics. I'm guessing maybe the Foley's at the Galleria isn't doing too well financially? Who knows. But I also would agree they should keep the Foley's concept at some of the less high end areas and switch only the ones that make sense to switch. I would think downtown would be a perfect one to switch just because of the name connotation and connection Macy's would have with people from out of town. I know we are all proud of home grown Foley's and all, but progress is progress.

Foley's is my favorite department store. Here in Bryan/College Station thats the only place I shop for clothes. Unless I go to Houston where I shop all over Sharpstown mall, and at any Foley's in the city.

Macy's is moving to the Foley's location in the Galleria.

Macy's, Foley's, Brooks Brothers and Acadamey!

What more does a man need ;-)

Macy's is not moving in Foley's loaction. Foley's will remain at their current location.

Here is a quote in the article. "Among the stores that will close is the Macy's in the Houston Galleria, which is in the same mall as a Foley's. The Foley's store is a newer store in a prime location."

^^Means that it will be no more Macy's at the Galleria. Simon mention that he will convert the Macy's store into Class A Apartments. This is the only location of Macy's will close down.

Another quote. "Along with Foley's, other department store brands that will disappear include Filene's, Hecht's and Kaufmann's."

^^This means if their a Foley's in your area, it will be transformed into a Macy's. That goes for the downtown location also.

Yes, the Sharpstown Foley's location is one I am very concerned about. I shop there whenever possible. I believe it is the largest department store building in Houston and possibly the state. We have a photo of our family there at it's grand opening and all the good memories others have of the downtown location, we have of the Sharpstown location. You can still see the 1960's design on the south side of the building near the parking garage. It has an accordion folded roof and columns covered in large round rocks.

Does Macy's have a clearance center? Perhaps they could use part of the huge Sharpstown space for that.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you wrote houstonsemipro. I keep rereading your post, but I'm not sure that I'm reading it correctly. The galleria macy's is closing, and the galleria foley's will become the galleria macy's. It's the only location closing in Houston.

I know I'm a guy and not that schooled in this sort of stuff, but, honestly, is there really a difference between Macy's, Foleys and Dillards? You could plop me down in the middle of any of the three and I couldn't tell you the difference. For men at least, they all carry the exact same product for the exact same price.

To be honest, I get the same stuff deeply discounted at Marshalls, Ross and TJ Maxx, which I also can't tell the difference between.

The only sad part of this is the name. I'm sure there are die-hard Foley's people out there cringing at the thought of the downtown location taking on the name Macy's. The old Foley's Thanksgiving Day parade always had that rivalry thing with NY's Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you wrote houstonsemipro. I keep rereading your post, but I'm not sure that I'm reading it correctly.  The galleria macy's is closing, and the galleria foley's will become the galleria macy's.  It's the only location closing in Houston.

I explain it clearly. Macy's location will be a Class A Apartments. Foley's will remain at their currect location in the Galleria, cause the Foley's store is a newer store in a prime location.

They haven't mention Foley's will be turn into a Macy's in the Galleria.

y'all getting it mixed up.

I explain it clearly. Macy's location will be a Class A Apartments. Foley's will remain at their currect location in the Galleria, cause the Foley's store is a newer store in a prime location.

The Foley's Name is dead. The existing Foley's in the Galleria will be converted into a Macy's. That is what the article, though poorly written, meant to say. The Houston Business Journal was much more clear (and also lists the exact stores that will be converted):

"Federated will close its Macy's store in the Galleria and convert the Foley's store operated by May in the same location into a Macy's. The Galleria Macy's store, which opened in 1986 and spans 256,000 square feet, has 322 employees"

Biz Journal

No. You are wrong Semipro. ALL Foley's stores will be re-branded as Macy's stores. ALL. Every single one of them. They currently have no plans to close any Foley's stores, including downtown, Northwest Mall, Sharpstown, etc. etc. They will close the store in the Galleria that is currently called Macy's and the store in the Galleria that is currently known as Foley's will be re-branded as a Macy's.

Now, do you have a source or link for this nonsense of turning the current Macy's store into Class A apartments? That seems HIGHLY unlikely, given the floor sizes and lack of windows.

It was in an article in the Dallas newspaper on July 24, 2005. It makes mention of Simon Property Group Inc. considering the idea of converting the Macy's or Foley's into apartments. The paper doesn't go into detail or anything. It's just mentioned in passing. It would be nice to just demolish that end of the mall (galleria 3 I think) and start over with some apartments/condos. Maybe Turnberry could build their alledged tower there. Just a thought.

I thik Dillards should take over that spot, The tare down the Dillards across the street, and that Zone D' Erotica, and build a nice little urban area. Well come to think of it, thats a little too close to the freeway.

Well according to the Business Journal article, the only thing closing is the Macy's store in the Galleria, which to me is very poorly designed. Not at all surprised by this news; Federated has made a habit of converting its acquisitions to the Macy's name.

Not all Macy's are created equal. Like Foley's, which tries to hit a variety of market segments with locations ranging from flagship stores at Memorial City and the Galleria to stores in less privileged areas, outside of Texas Macy's has everything from very upscale locations to suburban stores in smaller markets. I've seen some Macy's that used to be other brands that would make the Northwest, Sharpstown, and Almeda Mall Foley's look like a Neiman Marcus.

Locally I think Macy's got out of the suburban malls (Willowbrook, Deerbrook, and Baybrook) mainly because of competition from other stores like Foley's. Now Federated owns much of that competition, and is in a much stronger position for long-term survival in the Houston area.

I am glad to see that the downtown store is listed as one that will remain.

I will still miss the Foleys name. Today just hasn't been a good day. First NASA is scrubbing all shuttle flights

Then Foley's is leaving

Then I just heard one of my favorite shows "106 & Park" is cutting loose it's long time host Aj and Free.

Just not a good day.

Macy's is in that wierd as location in Galleria 3 on the other side of Saks with Coach right? Wonder if Coach an the other stores over there will close or hopefully they will put a Bloomingdales or a Barneys(mmmm) over there rather have another anchor instead of Apts. Anyone know the lineup for L&T since its being converted to smaller stores

Archived