BlackBook, Windows Antivirus, and the Return of the HoustonMacBro

I broke down last week and bought a black Macbook (couldn't resist the price and value on the Apple Refurbished Store any longer).

Anyhow, I am taking graduate classes and found out that I needed the Windows version of Excel for my next course. I was able to score a copy of Vista and Office 2007 that I installed and am now running on the Mac.

Cool!

Question, since I have not really used Windows at home in a LONG time, I am wondering what antivirus software (cheap, remember I am a graduate student) you recommend?

I live on the edge. Antivirus crap slows the system down and makes life frustrating. It's also more or less true that you can't "uninfect" a machine that's been compromised -- the trust is broken irrevocably when this happens. Short answer is don't use internet explorer on windows and don't run spam executables. Maybe for inexperienced users, AVS is ok, but for people who know what they're doing it's a waste of time and cpu cycles.

Short answer is don't use internet explorer on windows and don't run spam executables. Maybe for inexperienced users, AVS is ok, but for people who know what they're doing it's a waste of time and cpu cycles.

Woolie, I'm curious as to which browser you would use if you dropped and AVS. Also, what are "spam executables"?

I broke down last week and bought a black Macbook (couldn't resist the price and value on the Apple Refurbished Store any longer).

Anyhow, I am taking graduate classes and found out that I needed the Windows version of Excel for my next course. I was able to score a copy of Vista and Office 2007 that I installed and am now running on the Mac.

Cool!

Question, since I have not really used Windows at home in a LONG time, I am wondering what antivirus software (cheap, remember I am a graduate student) you recommend?

Do you really need the Windows version of Excel? Wouldn't Microsoft Office Mac have worked? Contrary to what you'd expect, the Mac version usually gets all the new features first. The Microsoft vice president in charge of the Mac Business Unit says MS tries out the new features on the Mac side to see how they work before migrating them to the Windows version.

Do you really need the Windows version of Excel? Wouldn't Microsoft Office Mac have worked? Contrary to what you'd expect, the Mac version usually gets all the new features first. The Microsoft vice president in charge of the Mac Business Unit says MS tries out the new features on the Mac side to see how they work before migrating them to the Windows version.

Yes. I start a statistics class on Saturday and need to run an application (plugin for Excel 2003) called MegaStat. As far as I know, it is not available for Mac versions of Excel and I could not get it to execute in Office 2007 either.

Archived