New Living

NewLiving

I wanted to let you guys know that we have just opened up a green supply store inside of Wagner Hardware on Kirby in the Village. For now, we are taking a smaller space and incubating inside the store. We created the store as an outlet for people's desire to incorporate healthy changes into their homes. We mix non-toxic paints, carry sustainable flooring and other eco-friendly products. Our plan is to grow and take over the whole store. We also have a large library of green building materials and would welcome the opportunity to meet with the developers and architects on this board to help spec out any projects that you are working on. Read a story from the Houston Business Journal here http://tinyurl.com/3d687q

We started a blog on our website, www.newliving.net (still very much a work in progress) and if any of you are interested in blogging for us, let me know.

Also, if any of you are architecture students and interested in helping us sell, or if you are interested in being a part of the New Living team, please shoot an email or stop by the store.

This is a collaborative movement and its going to take the community's support to make this a success. Please do what you can to take a part in it.

We will be at Gulf Coast Green this weekend at booth #129 with several of our venders including IceStone's granite alternative made of recycled glass www.icestone.biz, American Clay's natural Earth plaster www.americanclay.com, Kirei Board's wood substitute www.kireiusa.com, Natures Carpet's wool carpet alternative www.naturescarpet.com, Yolo Colorhouse's non-toxic, no VOC paint www.yolocolorhouse.com, Eco Timber's bamboo flooring www.ecotimber.com, and Natural Cork's sustainable flooring www.naturalcork.com.

Hope to see you at the show, in the store, or online!

Jeff, Tiffan and Lewis

getgreen@newliving.net

www.newliving.net

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

~ Margaret Mead

Heres our Brochure (better viewed full size)

newliving1.jpg

newliving2.jpg

Tell me about cork floors. Especially about pricing and scratch-resistance.

Don't forget, they're quite handy for putting messages on them, but don't step on the tacks, even with tacks in the floor they still hurt stepping on them. Then again, you also have to kneel to read the notes and they might get lost if you track in mud from the outside.

Don't forget, they're quite handy for putting messages on them, but don't step on the tacks, even with tacks in the floor they still hurt stepping on them. Then again, you also have to kneel to read the notes and they might get lost if you track in mud from the outside.

...ok.

Generally speaking, I'm interested in these kinds of products insofar as they make sense. I don't mind paying a bit more, but I have to be able to explain to a buyer or tenant of a property why I'm setting a higher ask price than market and why it should make them feel self-important to pay me lots and lots more money than I paid to have them installed when none of my competitors did the same.

...ok.

Generally speaking, I'm interested in these kinds of products insofar as they make sense. I don't mind paying a bit more, but I have to be able to explain to a buyer or tenant of a property why I'm setting a higher ask price than market and why it should make them feel self-important to pay me lots and lots more money than I paid to have them installed when none of my competitors did the same.

Sorry for the late response, we have been swamped getting settled back in from Gulf Coast Green (thanks to everyone that came to see us!)

Cork flooring is a healthy alternative to traditional flooring and when properly maintained, can last as long as hard wood. There are two different types of cork flooring that we carry, one has five coats of UV cured acrylic finish on it that protects against heavy scratching and starts at $4.99 a square foot, and another one that has three coats at $3.99 a foot and is still durable, but more environmentally friendly because it has less coats.

Cork provides a comfortable cushion under your feet and it bounces back, so scratches and dents will reshape back to the normal shape (Less noticeable even than on wood, carpet or vinyl). If you were to gouge it, it can be professionally fixed. The only treatment is to apply a resealant every year (for the three layer) and every other year (for the five layer). If you have dogs and concerns about scratching, the five layer is more ideal for you. Please stop by the store and ask for Tiffan, Lewis or Jeff anytime and we will show you the different styles and colors (24 different styles of the 5 coat and 10 different styles in the three layer coat).

You can read more on Cork at one of our products sites at http://www.naturalcork.com/cork_faqs.php

Some other selling points that might be appealing to your tenants are that cork is a thermal and acoustic insulator. They reduce impact noise, so you will not hear your upstairs neighbor walking around at night, and when you walk barefoot on a cold night, it will be a quiet, warm and comfortable experience. Cork also has a natural insect repellant in it and its anti-microbial qualities make it resistant to mold and mildew (great for people with allergies too). You and your tenants would appreciate eco-friendly products that have good taste, so take a look at other ways, such as non toxic paints, to implement this as well.

The price concerns me.

Some green products do cost more as the process is more intensive than traditional materials, others are simply a matter of using the right materials. You should compare cork floors to the prices of hardwoods. It sounds like you are a developer. We do offer discounts for our commercial clients such as developers, designers, contractactors and architects.

Archived