Graffiti

cnote

Noticed some graffiti on the new shopping center along the feeder rd. of 290 past Barker-Cypress next to the new HEB...it was on the back of the building, barely visible, then they painted over it. Low and behold now it has been "tagged" on the glass windows of the shopping center facing 290!!!

What the hell is going on here? Are there gangs in this area? It looked like a pretty professional job...not just some vandalizing kids. Makes me sick...I hope they can catch these a**holes...I also wonder why they chose this shopping center and no others that I can tell?

Edited by cnote

in some parts of town it's art. a latin graffiti artist i know did the obama redition at the campaign office on travis.

Latin? No wonder I can't read some of the graffiti! I was trying to read it like it was english!

Commissioned is one thing, unsolicited is another...though I must agree that artist in Britain has some pretty funny and inventive works...can't remember his name off the top of my but he is rather well known...

EDIT:::Banksy!!! that's his name...these kids were no Banksys....

Edited by cnote

Kinda amusing that you think it is gangsters. Most graffitti is not created by gangsters at all. In fact, a rather notorious inner loop freeway sign graffitti artist was caught a few years back, and he turned out to be from Magnolia....a lot closer to Cypress than Houston.

Kinda amusing that you think it is gangsters. Most graffitti is not created by gangsters at all. In fact, a rather notorious inner loop freeway sign graffitti artist was caught a few years back, and he turned out to be from Magnolia....a lot closer to Cypress than Houston.

Kinda amusing that you assume there cannot be gangsters in Magnolia...

Somone show me some research showing that "most" graffiti is not done by gangsters...at one time it was common practice for gangs to mark territory with graffiti, maybe that changed...

And unsolicited graffiti on other peoples' property is never done by artists, it is done by vandals.

Edited by cnote

infinite jim, are you from Hyde Park in Austin??? I only ask because we once heard a college kid who tagged "fetus" all over town (you may have seen it) was at a party and some people wanted to beat the crap out of him...they went to the party but the kid escaped out the bathroom window...so I guess you are right, they never get caught.

I can also add that I went to a high school that had moderate gang activity at the time, worse now, and their graffiti was not for artistic purposes...

ms 13 and SWC has been tagging the gulfton area but that's about all the gang related graffiti I've ever seen, and it's usually crude one color in primitive handstyles.

No offense, but I loath ATX and all it's BS posturing, esp hearing about kids writing "fetus"

sounds like he was really just in need of some attention

hyde park is the soul of the atrocious'mon ^_^

no offense taken, not from Austin just went to school there...no doubt there is a ton of douchebag posturing and preaching...that is exactly what this kid was...turns out he was actually a friend of a friend...I don't talk to that girl anymore though....

Well, if you are such a graffiti expert perhaps you know what this means...on this new shopping center it says "DEMOS" as far as I can tell in some type of bubble font...the medium is acrylic spraypaint on glass (for all you artist optimists)

Kinda amusing that you assume there cannot be gangsters in Magnolia...

Somone show me some research showing that "most" graffiti is not done by gangsters...at one time it was common practice for gangs to mark territory with graffiti, maybe that changed...

And unsolicited graffiti on other peoples' property is never done by artists, it is done by vandals.

Comments like this one...

It looked like a pretty professional job...

suggest that it is created by an "artist" as opposed to gangsters. As noted earlier, gang graffitti is normally one color and crude.

As for gang activity in Magnolia, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of the Trailer Park Crips, or the Barn Door Bloods, but it WOULD surprise me that they would mark territory on the 288 freeway in south Houston....or in Cypress.

...just sayin'.

could have been a disgruntled bldg inspector :P

it's probably just a "toy" or "noob", but bubble letters generally are used b/c they can be created quickly with a solid fill and still maintain some sense of letter structure, these are called "throwies"

Don't get me wrong folks, private property deserves to be respected but in some cases graffiti sends a red flag to the community that some property owners are being negligent (as in the old central bank bldg, days inn etc) or that a neighborhood is in decline in terms of social control.

or it can be a direct message to the owners of the property, but sadly today most kids write graffiti in order to gain anonymous fame (kinda like posting on forums)

Noticed it too. There's a bit of irony there with the graffitti artists hitting the strip centers.

Locals should put both the strip center developers and the grafitti artists in the town stockade and pummel them with tomatoes.

Or better yet, put them in stockades and spraypaint their faces in the name of art.

Comments like this one...

suggest that it is created by an "artist" as opposed to gangsters. As noted earlier, gang graffitti is normally one color and crude.

As for gang activity in Magnolia, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of the Trailer Park Crips, or the Barn Door Bloods, but it WOULD surprise me that they would mark territory on the 288 freeway in south Houston....or in Cypress.

...just sayin'.

Oh well, that was my fault...when I said it was "professional" i meant that it didn't look like the first time this was drawn by the individual, not that it was some thing of beauty or great skill...also, this was one color...

Anyway, I don't think it was gang related, I am sure it was just some punk looking for notoriety as has been stated previously, I was just posing the question as a possibility for discussion.

Edited by cnote

Noticed it too. There's a bit of irony there with the graffitti artists hitting the strip centers.

Locals should put both the strip center developers and the grafitti artists in the town stockade and pummel them with tomatoes.

Honestly, it's not that I care about the cost to the developer, it is more the image it suggests to the community...hopefully the people in the area won't stand for this type of vandalism.

Now the thing has been praypainted on a brick strip center on the other side of Barker Cypress facing 290 : (

This one is pretty high up, so he may have used a step ladder...

Maybe he is gaining in confidence, could be the perfect time to catch him. I wonder if these developers will pay to have some private security there overnight....

Now the thing has been praypainted on a brick strip center on the other side of Barker Cypress facing 290 : (

This one is pretty high up, so he may have used a step ladder...

Maybe he is gaining in confidence, could be the perfect time to catch him. I wonder if these developers will pay to have some private security there overnight....

It's hard to sign possible tenants to a lease with grafitti all over the building. Only one thing matters to developers - the bottom line. If this grafitti affects the bottom line then you can bet they will do whatever it takes to stop it.

At least he took care not to get it on the new brick facade.

But he DID get the brick side of the new retail centers in front of Randalls on the other side of Barker Cypress....which should be a huge pain in the ass for the developer...

I wonder if he is reading this thread???

• 2 weeks later...