Gulfgate Shopping City

Here is a nice link, picture of the fountains that were in Gulfgate Shopping City.

http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com/2006/08...ing-center.html

I've read a lot about Gulfgate on HAIF, but don't recall anyone talking about them. It's one of the things I remember most. They were huge, beautiful, water shot high into the air,base was maybe concrete, had pretty (turquoise?) tile work inside. They stood very tall, as I remember barely being able to see over the top of them (maybe a child-safety feature, I was about 6 yrs. old). There were several of them, identical to the one in the link, positioned on each wing of the mall. There was also a different "tin" type fountain in the center "courtyard", where all the wings met up. You could throw coins in it. It was lower at the base, had multi-round levels where the water flowed down. I remember, for a big place, after the mall was enclosed, the walkways were always cool. Think the fountains played a part in this. I remember the sound of the water was very pleasing.

PS the white benches (in the pic) were scary to me, looked like an alligator, or monster with it's mouth open...funny what you remember. :unsure:

That is one great clear photo of the interior. Reminds me of the hundreds of times we walked around to meet friends from other local High Schools that all worked there at the time. Yes, those fountains were pretty neat. It would be great if others had photos of Weingarten's interiors, of course we never think of taking photos of a grocery store interiors while we are shopping. More than likely past employees or management would have those items.

Maybe this topic can be merged with the other Gulfgate related topics. :)

Yeh, wasn't sure where to put this message. I have some pics of the old Gulfgate right before they tore it down. Was sad about that, but can understand about the asbestos. Many memories of it growning up. Interesting architecture, how they constructed the whole area on a slope. (maybe it was man-made),piped plum creek under it, granite rocks on one side, by Joskes. The area where the Cinema was, in the original plans was going to be a medical facility (clinics, I believe). Didn't pan out. The fountains were probably placed where the square gardens in the original outdoor mall design would have been.

Will post those pics soon.

UnderGr3.jpg

Cinema2.jpg

Gulfgt1.jpg

I have added pics to the last post.

#1 is an underground exit from the south end of gulfgate (by theater bridge)

#2 looking across at cinema (anyone know what that type of tree is?) juniper? bonsai?

#3 I-45 side shot

• 1 month later...

Fond thoughts of Gulfgate.

• It's where I took my pictures with Santa at Christmas.
  • For years, it was where I got my Easter outfit for Church (Usally Joskes)
  • I worked at the Gulfgate Movie Theater (for about three years) while in High School. Fun Job.
  • A lot of people don't remeber that there was a nice bowling ally there as well.
  • I joined the Army at the recruiting station there.

Yeh, wasn't sure where to put this message. I have some pics of the old Gulfgate right before they tore it down. Was sad about that, but can understand about the asbestos. Many memories of it growning up. Interesting architecture, how they constructed the whole area on a slope. (maybe it was man-made),piped plum creek under it, granite rocks on one side, by Joskes. The area where the Cinema was, in the original plans was going to be a medical facility (clinics, I believe). Didn't pan out. The fountains were probably placed where the square gardens in the original outdoor mall design would have been.

Will post those pics soon.

UnderGr3.jpg

Cinema2.jpg

Gulfgt1.jpg

Wow! I cannot believe you snapped these in time! You even got the close up of the walk way to the mall and Wilson's (my old job) is on the left side. Then you can see the delivery entrance ramp that went under the mall. It would be funny if you could see teens smoking under the walkway. Maybe all the cars saw were small plumes of smoke. :blush:

In the bottom pic you can see the East entrance where Piccadilly Cafeteria was on the left and the record store on the right and the Bowling alley below that entrance. Thats Joske's on the far right (white bldg) I believe there was a Beall's and Lane Bryant in there somewhere too. Oh and I think that little mysterious bldg on the hill was part Credit Union for ? and the Navy or Army Recruiting Center? Always recall seeing those guys emerge in full uniform. We kids were always impressed.

Great pics you get another Oscar for best pictures of the week!

• 7 months later...

I've found another site for Gulfgate, but there are a few errors...there is a map/ diagram which lists Joske's & Sakowitz, but they are listed wrong...also it's Almeda not Alameda, & Battelsteins is spelled incorrectly (Battlestiens). Is Newberrys labeled right? Grants was across from it.

http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.com/2006...01_archive.html

Maybe a moderator can combine some of these...

other Gulfgate links: http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2999

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2771

I like that first pic of the fountain, NenaE. Meyerland Plaza, built around the same time as Gulfgate, also had those illuminated signs hanging from the ceiling.

The two wings (south & west) had that type of fountain, the middle mall one was different...was tin-type with different levels, had a lower base, kids threw pennies in it...one Haifer talked about falling in it :o ...(Joskes topic). I love the concept of flowing fountains in malls, or public areas, made it seem so much cooler in such a hot environment.

What we need are more stories and photos of the underground bowling alley! :D

I went there with some friends around 1981 played a few rounds then we hit the bar which had a real 60's lounge appearance. Some of the old time hipsters looked like they were still in 1960. Too cool!

I don't remember throwing coins in it but I remember pulling them out :o

I hope as a child I didn't steal anyone's wish.

We lived within walking distance from the mall. And I have fond memories of going to the arcade, bowling alley, and movie theater, my mom's church choir singing at christmas time in the mall, etc.

Yes. I remember this place when I was kid. My friend used to work at the movies there.

My best-friend (and still is) used to work at Service Merchandise. Who remember's "Oak Tree"? (hip-hopish style of clothing)...bought some plaid overalls that were in style back then...lol.

• 4 years later...

My best-friend (and still is) used to work at Service Merchandise. Who remember's "Oak Tree"? (hip-hopish style of clothing)...bought some plaid overalls that were in style back then...lol.

Oh yeah I bought a few things at Oak Tree... sometime around 1986

Archived