Invasive Trees In The Houston Area In The Woodlands

woody_hawkeye

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have some in our backyard that were probably planted when our house was built. The Chinese Tallow was a popular landscaping tree in the 1920s & 1930s, since Mr Teas of Teas Nursery fame recommended them for many new Houston subdivisions at the time. Now, these trees are about 80 years old and reaching the end of their lifecycle. Their seeds sprout really easily. I'm always pulling up seedlings that have sprouted in flower beds, or in our potted plants.

Yeah, my folks had one when I was a kid. Strong enough to climb, pretty leaves, and the green seeds were perfect slingshot ammo. Never really understood why they cut it down. (I think because they wanted to pave the area and build a carport.) I loved that tree.

The basic reason I posted this here is because we tend to focus on construction. Every single new home and office building developer needs to consider how they landscape their new creation. It is as part of the development as the construction itself. Given a stand of trees does not mean that the trees need to stay. Landscaping responsibly is important. The invasive species list is fairly long now. I saw one being sold at a garage sale this last weekend. They are typically pleaseing to the eye, but come from the far reaches of the earth. Over the past few decades we have learned a lot about landscaping. Most of the professionals will make thoughtful recommendations using native trees and shrubs, but some will not.

Indian Hawthorne and Crepe Myrtles are non native....see any way to stop those??? Honestly, I think currently we are overusing Live Oaks as Landscape trees...the overuse of a species can lead to devastating diseases...think of the Elm...

They're worthless trees...look at the coastal prairie south of Houston if you want to see the damage they are capable of.

No wonder we had one! That's where I'm from! :) Sure, we were always pulling up seedlings but we just considered that part of yard work.

The first act of "landscaping" when we moved into our house 5 years ago was to cut down the POS Tallow tree from the front yard.

They're worthless trees...look at the coastal prairie south of Houston if you want to see the damage they are capable of.

With gas prices so high I thought I'd give you northsiders a peek of what tallow trees have done to the south side.

A quick Google search turned up this photo near La Marque...but it's the same story all over Brazoria County and southern Harris County too. I think this is what's meant by "invasive non-native species."

A tallow "forest":

TRSE6_AumannP0000349.jpg

I took a botany class while at San Jacinto JR College. On a "field trip" our professor injected formaldehyde into tallow trees she couldn't rip up from the root. She told us she always did it. I too used the little fruit for slingshot ammo, good times..

With gas prices so high I thought I'd give you northsiders a peek of what tallow trees have done to the south side.

A quick Google search turned up this photo near La Marque...but it's the same story all over Brazoria County and southern Harris County too. I think this is what's meant by "invasive non-native species."

A tallow "forest":

TRSE6_AumannP0000349.jpg

I really don't mean to be argumentative, but I've probably seen scenes like this hundreds of times and never noticed it other than to think "Oh, good, there are still some woods around that haven't been paved for a Home Depot or such ilk." As I posted earlier, I grew up with a tallow (we had some smaller ones in the back yard too) and, interestingly enough, it was one of the few in our neighborhood. I'm not seeing the urgency of the "problem."

I have this weed/tree that grows all over my house that I think might be Chinese Tallow. It starts as little weeds and within a very short time it grows into very large trees. I love it for its tenaciousness.

According to Wikipedia: "It is the second or third most productive vegetable-oil-bearing seed crop in the world, after oil palm and algae, therefore useful in production of biodiesel."

I love it even more.

I have this weed/tree that grows all over my house that I think might be Chinese Tallow. It starts as little weeds and within a very short time it grows into very large trees. I love it for its tenaciousness.

According to Wikipedia: "It is the second or third most productive vegetable-oil-bearing seed crop in the world, after oil palm and algae, therefore useful in production of biodiesel."

I love it even more.

Love it. It's like forcing your neighbor in the burbs to plant some trees. Lord knows I needed that in the at that last house.

Trees good.

It's a noxious weed. Plant one and you and your neighbors will ever be able to get rid of them. I don't think animals can eat the seedpods, so it chokes out their food sources.

I'm not a biologist, but I've heard enough of them cursing tallow trees to believe them when they say that tallow trees are harmful plants. From what I've heard it dries up wetlands, crowds out other species, is worthless to wildlife, and it's toxic to livestock.

If anyone knows about the salt cedar/tamarisk out in the Big Bend area, the tallow tree is Houston's equivalent.

From http://www.texasinvasives.org/Invasives_Da...sp?Symbol=TRSE6:

Ecological Threat: Chinese tallow will transform native habitats into monospecific (single species) tallow forests in the absence of land management practices. Chinese tallow alters light availability for other plant species. Fallen tallow leaves contain toxins that create unfavorable soil conditions for native plant species. Chinese tallow will outcompete native plant species, reducing habitat for wildlife as well as forage areas for livestock.

From http://www.texasinvasives.org/Invasives_Da...sp?Symbol=TRSE6:

Ecological Threat: Chinese tallow will transform native habitats into monospecific (single species) tallow forests in the absence of land management practices. Chinese tallow alters light availability for other plant species. Fallen tallow leaves contain toxins that create unfavorable soil conditions for native plant species. Chinese tallow will outcompete native plant species, reducing habitat for wildlife as well as forage areas for livestock.

Which would win: Chinese tallow vs kudzu?

How about mesquite? That tree has decimated many parts of West Texas. Wildfires no longer control its growth, allowing it to spread quickly, rob massive amounts of ground water, and choke out native grasses. Its only redeeming feature is the bbq wood it produces.

Our idiot neighbors actually planted some in their yard. I want to secretly cut it down in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, mesquite is virtually impossible to kill.

It's a noxious weed. Plant one and you and your neighbors will ever be able to get rid of them. I don't think animals can eat the seedpods, so it chokes out their food sources.

It hasn't hurt the fire ants.

How about mesquite? That tree has decimated many parts of West Texas. Wildfires no longer control its growth, allowing it to spread quickly, rob massive amounts of ground water, and choke out native grasses. Its only redeeming feature is the bbq wood it produces.

Our idiot neighbors actually planted some in their yard. I want to secretly cut it down in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, mesquite is virtually impossible to kill.

Diesel fuel works wonders

Which would win: Chinese tallow vs kudzu?

That is a tough one to call...I think it depends on where the match is held...I think any venue east of the Mississippi goes to Kudzu...West of the Mississippi goes to Tallow...

If you have ever been to Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama...the Kudzu is unreal...

I really don't mean to be argumentative, but I've probably seen scenes like this hundreds of times and never noticed it other than to think "Oh, good, there are still some woods around that haven't been paved for a Home Depot or such ilk." As I posted earlier, I grew up with a tallow (we had some smaller ones in the back yard too) and, interestingly enough, it was one of the few in our neighborhood. I'm not seeing the urgency of the "problem."

Someone may have commented on this before me, but I just wanted to point the issue. What you see in that photo is an example of the tree overtaking the prairie. It is not a case that there remains forests. The case is that there does not remain a prairie. Birds and anilmals that live on the prairie have been robbed of their habitat. The prairie does not have trees! It has marsh, prairie grass, various bushes. Those can not grow when a species from China displaces it and poisons the ground. The fruit is worthless to the wildlife here. Fortunately, the birds are not poisoned by the seeds because there is an outer covering that is not permeated when the birds "eat" the seed. It just goes through the bird's gut without nourishment. I am not sure if the toxicity of the leaves and sap kill many animals or birds, but it might. e are advised here not to put the branches out with the other material to mulch, because it is like putting a herbicide on your yard and plants when the mulch is used containing parts of the plant.

After I move back to Texas and buy a home I plan on joining (or starting) a group dedicated to cutting back on invasive species of all kinds, focusing on species like Chinese tallow and kudzu. Also, if anyone on this forum hunts, feral swine (known colloquially as hogs are invasive (not to be confused with native peccaries). Get out there and do some good for Mother Nature. Wild pork is good fer ya.

I know this thread is about Chinese tallow in particular, but invasive species are wreaking havoc all over the place. Here's an interesting article about it (if you can't access it, registration is free and without any ensuing solicitation).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/opinion/20grescoe.html

This is interesting, too (if not a bit disturbing).

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=937

Sorry about the swerve off topic. Death to Chinese tallow.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, slime in the water machine!

Yep, there are many issues that are man made. That is one reason people are afraid of genetic engineering. We do not understand the consequences of what we do when we fool with mother nature.

I attended a recent seminar on this subject, but it was very localized and thelist is relatively long. Of course Hyrdrilla, another aquarium species is a major issue on our ponds and lakes,

We could spend a few years in this one thread if we were to take to such broad discussion. If interested, we could discuss a few other related issues in separate threads. Right now, as noted, the focus is on one species. Taking care of one is a big chore and expensive I might add. I looked through the list and beleive by far the most threatening of the invasive plants here today are two varieties of water plants and this one tree.

You can all thank South Side Place for the spread of tallow trees. All of South Side Place's streets were lined with them back in the 60's and 70's. Hopefully the teardown crews are including the tallows as they make their way through to the last structure.

You can all thank South Side Place for the spread of tallow trees. All of South Side Place's streets were lined with them back in the 60's and 70's. Hopefully the teardown crews are including the tallows as they make their way through to the last structure.

I brought down my third of four trees today. Now I am faced with a disposal dilemma. Searching for a service to dispose of the leaves, limbs and trunks without using it for mulch. I am betting that a lot of mulch has this material in it - a natural herbicide.

Archived