Cargo Containers

I need a garage. I have a huge lot (28k) and want to put a garage at the back of the lot. I cannot stop thinking of how to use cargo containers. Was thinking of 2 20ft.containers spaced 16 ft apart and a flat roof/between the two, or pitched over the whole thing. I love the art building in the Heights (on 11th) and it actually looks very nice. A new 20 ft container is 2700$. 8ft wide and 8ft tall. They weight 4800lbs, so they could even be put on blocks. I would have the containers for storage and the space in between for the cars. The containers would provide the support for any roof structure. Anyone else have some ideas with these containers...and yes,I have seen all the other websites. Google cargotecture and there are a alot, but nothing like I am thinking. Any input is appreciated.

I need a garage. I have a huge lot (28k) and want to put a garage at the back of the lot. I cannot stop thinking of how to use cargo containers. Was thinking of 2 20ft.containers spaced 16 ft apart and a flat roof/between the two, or pitched over the whole thing. I love the art building in the Heights (on 11th) and it actually looks very nice. A new 20 ft container is 2700$. 8ft wide and 8ft tall. They weight 4800lbs, so they could even be put on blocks. I would have the containers for storage and the space in between for the cars. The containers would provide the support for any roof structure. Anyone else have some ideas with these containers...and yes,I have seen all the other websites. Google cargotecture and there are a alot, but nothing like I am thinking. Any input is appreciated.

sounds tacky and like a good reason for HOA's but to each his own. after googling it looks like something I would picture the Unabomber living in.

Or when you drive through those really rural areas and see poor folk living in an old school bus fused with a mobile home or an old railroad cargo car.

dsc01601ke0.jpg

like such

Stewart Brand's excellent book "How Buildings Learn" has a section about using cargo containers as houses. He frames it in the context of Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion house. Bucky wanted a portable, prefab housing unit, but he made them round and expensive. Trailer homes and cargo containers are square (easier to hang pictures, don't need curved couches, fewer leaks) and cheap, and you don't need a helicopter to move them. I've always wanted a modular house built out of prefabbed rooms that I could roll in an out as my needs change.

My only concerns would be about foundation and anchoring. If a twister comes through you don't want it ramming your garage through your neighbor's house.

sounds tacky and like a good reason for HOA's but to each his own. after googling it looks like something I would picture the Unabomber living in.

Or when you drive through those really rural areas and see poor folk living in an old school bus fused with a mobile home or an old railroad cargo car.

dsc01601ke0.jpg

like such

No, no .. the ones I've seen are actually just the structure of the container but modified (and very cool) to be architecturally interesting.

I have really been thinking of the modular blocks. Have one plumbed for a kitchen, or bathroom, where you get it to the site and just plug in power/water and go. You could have one prewired for a/c etc.

My only concerns would be about foundation and anchoring. If a twister comes through you don't want it ramming your garage through your neighbor's house.

If a twister comes through, the last thing people are thinking would be: "Damn! those containers they're going to ruin my house! I hope the chevy goes through my roof instead".

Ughh.... That guy was speaking a bunch of pseudo intellectual mumbo jumbo .

"you get a beautiful dialogue between the old and the new and between one set of ideas and another and it creates a certain kind of vitality which really resonates with me"

Shut up and say that you like living in and playing with shipping containers.

flipper

p.s. I think they look cool.

There's a museum called The Nomadic Museum that moves around and is made of cargo containers. I know it's been in L.A. I think it's currently in New York. Looks like it has the roofs you're thinking of.

museum050214_4_400.jpg

museum050214_1_400.jpg

che-nomad12.jpg

PICT0021.JPG

PICT0030a.JPG

24ashe.3.650.jpg

Great idea. We live in the Piney Woods of North East Texas and have 2 containers with a roof over them. They were both used and delivered up here for about $1500 each. Both 40 ft long. Eventually we will paint them to match. We have 22 acres in the country so nobody to complain about the colors that aren't the same. Anyway, the roof we had done is free standing on poles between the containers. The roof is slanted to the back to accomodate runoff from rain and snow. My husband has two boats parked under there side by side. Inside the containers he has stored lots of cra.....I mean, his precious treasures. Soon, tho, he will sell the boats and park the RV under there. "Soon" as in "Jesus is coming SOON." LOL

I'm totally into everything about this kind of building. It's 'green' , since you're using already used stuff, it's adaptable, it's portable, and it's inexpensive. You can clad the stuff in anything-- it's like the faceless clothes model of housing.

re: the diagram: I'm ok with everything but yeast.

??

• 4 weeks later...

John Walker here, of Numen Development:

www.numendevelopment.com

We did the container house at 206 Cordell, as well as the Apama Mackey Gallery on 11th Street. Photos are on our website, although pics of the finished house on Cordell are not up yet. What you want is easily, inexpensively, and (can be) tastefully done. Call me directly if you want to kick some ideas around. We'd love to help.

cell: 832-474-3843

>I need a garage. I have a huge lot (28k) and want to put a garage at the back of the lot. I cannot stop thinking of how to use cargo containers.

Archived