Oakcrest Intermediate School At 18202 Shaw Rd.

klein

Tomball ISD names PBK designer for district's second High School The Tomball ISD (TISD) announced this week that PBK will serve as architect for the programming and design of the District�s newest high school. Only the second high school in the community, the new campus will accommodate 3,000 students (core) and is scheduled for completion in 2011. This project is part of a $198 Million bond program that was approved by TISD voters in May 2007. PBK has enjoyed an existing relationship with the TISD since 2002, and served as architect for the "extreme makeover" to the original Tomball High, which won the prestigious Caudill Award from TASA-TASB in 2004.

It will be located at the corner of Shawn road and Northpointe Blvd.

Shaw Rd?

Ok, so that's right up next to the CFISD border near Grant Rd. & Telge. It's good that they're building a HS up this way, because it takes a while nowadays to get all the way to Tomball from the HP Corridor neighborhoods.

Edited by mrfootball

whoops, yes I meant Shaw not Shawn

Yes it does make sense and for many more reasons than that but believe me, it was a long time coming. There was a lot of resistence to a second HS and we had to fight just to get the idea before the school board. Quite honestly, without the new Creekside development in the Woodlands pushing Tomball HS over capcity, I don't think it would have happened. I have very much enjoyed reading about Klein's bond process.

Edited by citizenjane

Tomball hasn't been traditionally strong in football....opening this school weakens them...

I thought we built schools to educate our children. It's this sad to see how many people have placed sports over education in both the high school and college level.

Tomball hasn't been traditionally strong in football....opening this school weakens them...

This opinion was raised as a reason against the second high school as well as the fear that both schools would not be 5A. After a lot of debate the subcommittee and then the voters of TISD chose to build the second school. Studies were shown that academic performance was better is smaller schools as opposed to mega high schools (3,000+ students). Also while the athletics may not be higher performing, 2 schools means more kids get to participate.

Edited by citizenjane

• 6 months later...

One thing that surprised me was that the city of Tomball has one elementary school serving all of the city limits (in the city limits of Tomball it also has two intermediate schools, one middle school, and one high school).

Does TISD plan to build another elementary school in the city limits of Tomball?

Edited by VicMan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Allen High School (North of Dallas) refuses to build a new school to remain competitive....Southlake Carrol also and it's no coincidence they are always playing December football

closer to home, Fort Bend ISD is a prime example of overbuilding only to have it bite them in the butt in the 90s...once a school hit 2,800, they passed a bond to build another new school, etc., etc.

Now you got schools 5 miles from each other with declining enrollment as growth projections never panned out..as a result of declining enrollment, you got a bunch of wasted real estate and programs that are a shell of what they used to be due to jumping the gun

• 1 month later...

The second school is a major plus for the town of Tomball. I enjoy High school football as well. Tomball has not competed well in 5A. Going to 4A will be helpful, but Tomball Memorial will struggle the first couple years.

Southlake Carrol starts their kids at a very young age, they will work on the Jr high's offense & defense. They have a system in place and Tomball really doesn't.

You look at the growth of Katy ISD. New High Schools and Katy High still wins State Championships. Once again they promote youth football. I would not like my kid to go to a high school with 3700 kids. Tomball is not over building.

I believe having two high schools in Tomball is the right thing to do. Better education & kids have more opportunities to play sports. Magnolia has two high schools now and Magnolia had a succesful year in the Playoffs (Football). I could see Tomball play with Magnolia, Waller, Brenham, Willis.

it's so watered down now and with people funneling kids to certain schools, you can easily win....

at one time, you were laughed at if you played at Katy as it was considered a small town with average football...I remember in 88' watching them in a playoff game against my old school, wasn't even a battle....Katy got good pretty fast due to growth but when more schools opened, they remained good as families now purposely move into their zone to be competitive

as for Tomball, if there's no system for 3,000 kids why do you think it'll work for a new school? It may get worse as they'll have to battle small towns every week with traditions

Edited by hbcu

we know that but is there any proof more schools improve performance?

It's not about "more" schools it's about the capacity of the one and only high school we have. The second high school has been an issue in TISD for well over a decade. I was on the facility planning committee that studied the projected growth within the district and made the recommendation to the school board. We purchased the land for a HS in the last bond knowing this school would be needed. I also have a child at THS and know first hand the problems with over crowding. You can add portable class rooms all day but what about parking, bathrooms, lockers, cafeteria size, office space for counselors and other admin, etc. Kids have trouble getting to class on time because they they can't get through the halls. Kids won't buy lunch because there's not enough time to get through the line and eat it. Some kids go an entire school year and never use their locker because it's to far away. Simply put, THS is overcrowded.

And this doesn't even touch on the issue of "travel time" for some kids in the edges of the district trying to get to the only school we have. My child is on the bus for over an hour, each way. Seems like a huge waste of her time to be sitting on a bus for 2 hours every day.

TISD is a very small district and we believe that we will probably never build a third high school (I know, never say never). With the knowledge of how we needed to expand the THS building as it approached max capacity, the Tomball Memorial building was designed to be "expandable". We really don't want to build a third high school either.

You seem to be implying that this school is a mistake for the district. If you live in TISD and have specific concerns let me know and maybe I can address them or point you in the right direction. After a lot of study and discussion I really do believe that adding the second high school will be good for our children.

Edited by citizenjane

I've been in the southern part of TISD since 95. We have seen the growth all around us from CFISD & KISD. CFISD opens a new high school every two years. Cy Lakes & Cy Ranch may have open to quickly.

In regards to sports in Tomball, the new school will get support and will compete. It will take time.

I believe high school sports are very important for the whole community. In order to be sussessful with a youth program the two high school head coaches need to get involve.

Tomball is a baseball town. Coach Lynch has youth clinic's and is involved throughout the community.

In regards to Katy, they struggled for years in the early 80's. Did not win a game for two years, but now they are the most successful football program in the state.

I'm sure it must be a misprint, but the lastest issue of the Tribune (for Tomball and Magnolia) states that the school will begin construction in March and be ready to open in the fall of 2010.

That's impossible-even for a small school. At this point, Tomball ISD will be hard pressed to open it in the fall of '11 if they begin this spring. The district's site still has '11 as the opening.

Cy-Fair takes 3 years to complete a high school.

used to live in Tomball...right in front of the hospital....what will be interesting is will the new high school take on an "elitist" mentality considering where it is at and it's proximity to Cy-Fair ISD and Klein ISD...

Fort Bend ISD is a perfect example how they quickly label high schools by where they are at

Growth has helped Katy....your only as good as what moves in....

The opening date is not a misprint. I'm not saying if it is or is not possible just that it's not a printing mistake.

As to the comment about Tomball Memorial becoming elitist because of it's location, remember that the new Creekside development in the Woodlands will feed into Tomball High school. Only time will tell how the new demographics will effect the schools but there will most defiantly be money flowing from that direction.

Are you saying that 2010 is correct? Because TISD's website still says 2011.

They will NOT have the high school open in the fall of 2010 if they begin in March, 2009. That truly is impossible unless the school is going to be the size of an elementary school.

Just an FYI for everyone regarding this subject. I work for an electrical supplier and the project is bidding on Feb 12th. I have worked on numerous schools and this project will be an 16 - 18 month design. Klein High School #5 is also moving forward with a bid date of Feb 19th.

Are you saying that 2010 is correct? Because TISD's website still says 2011.

They will NOT have the high school open in the fall of 2010 if they begin in March, 2009. That truly is impossible unless the school is going to be the size of an elementary school.

I apologize, you are right. The school is scheduled to open the 2011-2012 school year. Too many schools are dates floating around my head early in the morning.

Just an FYI for everyone regarding this subject. I work for an electrical supplier and the project is bidding on Feb 12th. I have worked on numerous schools and this project will be an 16 - 18 month design. Klein High School #5 is also moving forward with a bid date of Feb 19th.

Klein HS #5 bidding Feb 19th? You might want to check that since Klein put the breaks on HS #5 for a minimum of 1 year.

• The title was changed to Tomball ISD Names PBK Designer For District's Second High School
  • The title was changed to Oakcrest Intermediate School At 18202 Shaw Rd.