Warehouse Next To Specs

jt16

I'm not sure if this is already a topic, but I was in Midtown last night and noticed that the warehouse south of specs was half torn down. There's been a sign on that block for years with a restaurant/retail build to suit. I just passed it off since every block in Midtown has a similar sign. Does anybody know what's going on?

I'm not sure if this is already a topic, but I was in Midtown last night and noticed that the warehouse south of specs was half torn down.  There's been a sign on that block for years with a restaurant/retail build to suit.  I just passed it off since every block in Midtown has a similar sign.  Does anybody know what's going on?

Might be where they are putting a Walgreens

I have confirmed that the Walgreens is going in on McGowen/Smith/Brazos...right by the Specs. It will be a wrap around style like the CVS. We can all thank Westside Properties for selling out on Midtown again. This is another example of them selling out the Urban design several of us would like to see for Midtown.

Also, as I said before by doing this is will force another company to put a strip center I believe across the street.

well, walgreen's is no stranger to urban environments...i can't help but wonder if the ordinances requiring huge parking lots (and the variances that would be required to build it any other way) are what's making the developer build it like that. i mean, it's tough to fault them for taking the path of least resistance. if only the mayor would hurry up with those revised ordinances and 'planning guidelines' before any more damage is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Then again, maybe I SHOULD buy in midtown. That area needs a strong group of pissed off, fed up owners with a stake in things to shake up the managment district. As a renter, my influence only goes so far. This is getting outrageous. I moved to Midtown for a specific reason, to experience urban living.

Then again, maybe I SHOULD buy in midtown. That area needs a strong group of pissed off, fed up owners with a stake in things to shake up the managment district. As a renter, my influence only goes so far. This is getting outrageous. I moved to Midtown for a specific reason, to experience urban living.

Midtown guy, please don

Houston Retail,

Great point. I am a midtown resident, which is enough to give me a voice. Maybe I will show up at a meeting. I think t here's one in april.

Thanks for the kick in the ass.

Perhaps those who cannot attend the meeting can try emailing them. They have listed email addresses at:

http://www.houstonmidtown.com/midtown.cfm?a=cms,c,34,

who the hell put them in charge anyway? how can we replace the idiotic members?

It amazes me that Walgreens is going in right there. When it is fiished there will be 3 Walgreens within 1 mile of my house and 7 within 3 miles. The one on West Gray and the one on Montrose are equidistant. And now they are going to build another one. The new CVS in Midtown is always empty. I never see anyone in there. I asked the Pharmacist about the traffic and he told me that business was in fact real slow. I think he liked that, he was moving pretty slow. Something has to give.

in san francisco, they have nine walgreens within a one square mile area in a part of the city.

it does not bother me that all of these new pharmacies are being built. what does bother me is the lack of design and reluctance to mold these stores into more than the typical suburban outfit.

I agree with elecpharm. I no issues with a CVS or Walgreens on everyblock. If they make money or not, it is there investment and they have right to try. My biggest beef with them is that they can easily design these stores to be more urban. They can stay one floor, but just put the parking lot in the back of the store with a back entrance. The fron of the store can front the primary street the borders the lot. The street entrance takes pedestrian traffic, the back takes the patrons who park. Very similar concept to River Oaks Shopping center and the Alabama shopping center on Shepherd.

The street entrance takes pedestrian traffic

That's All well and good in the textbook, but Houston is a city of automobile drivers. Pedestrian traffic pretty much comes to a halt by July.

I think the Walgreens on Lovett at Montrose is a great example an suburban store in an urban environment.

So what if they would have placed a parking lot in the back? I just don't see how that really changes anything in a city full of drivers.

It's mostly for appearances. Everbody always harps on street front retail. In reality, the business still needs to provide some parking. Most New Urbanist believe in the concept of putting the business up to the street with the parking in the back. It'll just hide cars. That's all. Look at the little shopping center at the corner southwest corner of Hazard and Westheimer. All the parking is in the rear. The front of the place is pedestrian friendly even with a coffee shop and outdoor seating.

Midtown would be great to have this kind of development also. Cars are a fact of life in Houston. These are just suggestions so that they can coexist with the pedestriant friendly atmosphere people want in an urban setting.

in san francisco, they have nine walgreens within a one square mile area in a part of the city.

it does not bother me that all of these new pharmacies are being built. what does bother me is the lack of design and reluctance to mold these stores into more than the typical suburban outfit.

Right, in SF they blend into the city, and are very useful (bought groceries, toiletries, etc for 6 months there in 2004). If Walgreens can adapt there (forced b/c of real estate costs, I know, but still) they can adapt here.....

Also, Walgreens has built facilities in the French Quarter and in Downtown New Orleans. They kept the historical qualities of the buildings and are great for workers, tourists, and intown residents to use. Wal-mart attempted to the same with a store. It would two stories and use a historical abandoned building. Who would have thought of an urban Wal-mart. I haven't heard of the progress on the Wal-Mart in a while. I think they were working with the historical commission there.

I wish the Midtown Management District and the residents would work with Wallgreens and CVS to produce some they'll like. You'd be surprise how they will work with you. Remember that these companies realized how much money they can make at the location they chose. Also, any extra construction if not too large is acceptable. After all, they can wright off the costs as a capital investment on taxes anyway.

The heights just finished working with Walgreens or CVS (i forget) to build a store that they can live with. They were smart. Instead of just opposing it, they decided to work with the store to produce results that make everyone happy.

A good example in midtown is Randalls. The minor parking in the front with a parking garage underneath.

good point.

In Houston, it would be just build the new buildings that emlpoyed the same urban concepts. This doesn't mean they have to look historical either. They can be completely modern as for as I'm concerned.

Archived