wxman

Wow...more growing pains for The Woodlands. In the Houston Chronicle, it was announced that the Condo tower being planned for The Woodlands Waterway will stand at 20+ floors. It didn't give an exact number, but said it would top out higher than 20. Not only this, but several other mid-rises are planned for Woodloch Forest drive and The Woodlands Parkway. Read the article below.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/woo...ws/5644653.html

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, "rival Anadarko" is a bit... way off.

For some examples, a 20 story residential tower may be around 245-250 Ft or so in height (Museum Tower is 20/'248), while a 25 story building might be a bit shy of '300 (2016 Main is 26/'296). The figures vary for any number of reasons, but should generally be within 10-15 feet on either side of those figures.

Anadarko Tower is 32 floors of OFFICE and is '439.

I'm glad this is happening! It was nice to read about the "largest pedestrian-friendly" area in the Houston region. I hope this ethic spreads to the other side of the mall, though. During Christmastime I walked around Lake Woodlands Dr. with my brother to do some shopping (because parking was just insane) and I was surprised at how pedestrian-UNfriendly those streets around the mall and Best Buy were. The crossing signals were way too short in duration (out of sync with the allotted times for vehicle traffic) and it was nearly impossible to see the signals for oncoming traffic, which made the experience more exciting than I would've preferred.

a few high rises and veneered strip malls don't make a low density auto dependent suburb an 'actual city.' all of these communities are fundamentally structurally deficient in terms of urban fabric. you couldn't reconfigure them without razing and starting from scratch. the chances of their zoning boards ever allowing something like that? I'd say, probably zero.

Sorry I'm so cynical in every thread lately. I'll try to turn it off. My friend told me she's moving to Zurich.

a few high rises and veneered strip malls don't make a low density auto dependent suburb an 'actual city.' all of these communities are fundamentally structurally deficient in terms of urban fabric. you couldn't reconfigure them without razing and starting from scratch. the chances of their zoning boards ever allowing something like that? I'd say, probably zero.

Sorry I'm so cynical in every thread lately. I'll try to turn it off. My friend told me she's moving to Zurich.

Allow what? A highrise? Have you seen Anadarko Tower? If your referring to the reconfiguring of The Woodlands, why would we want to do that? We've won numerous awards for the layout. I don't think we're trying to be the big shot by any means. It's just that we have a lot of people moving into Montgomery County. We're going to have a population of over a million in the next 20 years...many of those in the southern part of the county.

Yeah, "rival Anadarko" is a bit... way off.

For some examples, a 20 story residential tower may be around 245-250 Ft or so in height (Museum Tower is 20/'248), while a 25 story building might be a bit shy of '300 (2016 Main is 26/'296). The figures vary for any number of reasons, but should generally be within 10-15 feet on either side of those figures.

Anadarko Tower is 32 floors of OFFICE and is '439.

Yeah, I fogot that the height of floors are different for residential structures vs. offices. Still, a 20+ story building means greater than 20 but less than 30. 25, 26, 27, 28 stories would be awesome!

Plus, it will be the second tallest without question. So even if it doesn't 'rival' anadarko, it will surely hold its own in the Woodlands 'skyline.'

Absolutely. The way The Woodlands is growing, I have a feeling this is only the beginning. I have a feeling that many highrises are on the way for Montgomery County...especially in The Woodlands. Shenendoah is also getting in on the action. They have a 10 story planned for I-45 south, south of 242 in Vision Park. Also, a new mid-rise going up at the corner of Sawdust and 45. Need I mention the numerous buildings being planned for The Woodlands Town Center?

Where is 'the square?' Is that by the old movie theatre or market street? Because I wonder if this condo tower will go on that empty spot by starbucks/jamba juice and parking garage at market street or over by the old theatre?

Before you know it, it will look like the Energy Corridor.

I still have not figured out where this corridor is. Is it basically just the katy freeway? If so, I doubt the Woodlands will begin to rival that. There's a lot over there. Plus, TW towers will hardly be visible from the freeway b/c of all the trees, which the west side of houston hardly has.

From about Beltway 8 to Barker Cypress. and The Woodlands won't have a skyline if the buildings are short enough to where the trees overshadow them. Those are some big pines. The towers are visible around the mall there.

Where is 'the square?' Is that by the old movie theatre or market street? Because I wonder if this condo tower will go on that empty spot by starbucks/jamba juice and parking garage at market street or over by the old theatre?

I'm really not sure, and I've lived here since 89'.

From about Beltway 8 to Barker Cypress. and The Woodlands won't have a skyline if the buildings are short enough to where the trees overshadow them. Those are some big pines. The towers are visible around the mall there.

The buildings are definitely visible...especially crossing the fly over 45 onto The Woodlands Parkway.

I think Trae meant when they 'incorporate' and The Woodlands will become an actual city, whereas it is not now. Please correct me if my statement is untrue.

I'm glad this is happening! It was nice to read about the "largest pedestrian-friendly" area in the Houston region. I hope this ethic spreads to the other side of the mall, though. During Christmastime I walked around Lake Woodlands Dr. with my brother to do some shopping (because parking was just insane) and I was surprised at how pedestrian-UNfriendly those streets around the mall and Best Buy were. The crossing signals were way too short in duration (out of sync with the allotted times for vehicle traffic) and it was nearly impossible to see the signals for oncoming traffic, which made the experience more exciting than I would've preferred.

I thought that title belonged to Galveston's downtown.

I think Trae meant when they 'incorporate' and The Woodlands will become an actual city, whereas it is not now. Please correct me if my statement is untrue.

Yep, that's what I meant.

And what is "Woodforest"?

Woodforest Bank has a tower in the Woodlands across from Anadarko on the pond/lake. Woodforest Bank has proposed a twin that will be built in the next few years (months?).

Woodforest is another Master Planned Community between the Woodlands and Conroe. Supposed to be the way the Woodlands was, or something to that effect. Being built by an X-Woodlands President of some sort.

Woodforest is another Master Planned Community between the Woodlands and Conroe. Supposed to be the way the Woodlands was, or something to that effect. Being built by an X-Woodlands President of some sort.

Oh okay. Doesn't look like it will compare in size to TW.

Archived