St. Regis Residences & Future Multifamily On Asbury Pl.

SpaceCity

This was mentioned to me earlier in the year. Just now coming across this article. It's likely Harvey has affected plans for a high- rise here.

http://houston.towers.net/2017/05/24/interfin-plants-its-flag-at-buffalo-bayou/

Cathexis Real Estate Development, a subsidiary of Houston-based Cathexis Holdings, is in the catbird seat with its ownership of prime Buffalo Bayou waterfront property — property that Interfin Corporation wants to develop.

Cathexis owns 9.25 undeveloped acres on the south end of the Rice Military neighborhood, just across the bayou from River Oaks Country Club. According to state records, Interfin — a Houston developer of luxury residential properties — wants to build a 28-story luxury apartment tower on the site. The tower will include a pool deck on the eighth floor.

Such a filing implies the land is either under contract, or Cathexis is collaborating. But Cathexis is in the oil and gas business and uses its real estate operation primarily to acquire energy-related resources. Interfin has made no official announcement and did not respond to our request for comment.

However, the project architect, Ziegler Cooper Architects, gave the state notice of plans for a tower with an estimated project cost of $92 million.

The project name is Avant Buffalo Bayou, and it has an estimated construction start date of October 2017. Ziegler Cooper stated the project would take about 27 months to complete.

Meanwhile, Interfin Holdings LP filed for a trademark registration on March 15 for the name ‘Avant Residences’ and a logo symbol. The trademark will be used for marketing and sales, as well as the management and operation of a real estate development, according to the filing.

AvantBuffaloBayou-aerial-concept-768x437

Avant-Residences-trademark.jpg

• Like 6

Sent to me March 11th via PM:

I can't share the link because it's from a customer, but it is on Memorial just down from Asbury street.  The plans are from Ziegler Cooper and it looks exactly like the project they have on their website called The Midtown. I am bidding the lighting on Monday.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Anyone familiar with the site and topography?  Height not distance from water is the crucial factor whether  flooding occurs.

Looking at Google Earth Images from 8/30 right after the storm, you can still see water in the southeast corner of the property and along the southern boundary. I would think this was flooded during the peak of Harvey. You could raise the land say 5 feet and with a parking garage on the base, it wouldn't be a huge deal but I am sure they are cautious. 

• Like 2

It looks like it. I attended a party a few months ago at the old pre sales office which has been turned into the residence of the owner of the property and the planned development of Orion.

He also owned the old Rainbow Lodge site and the apartment site on Memorial at the light just before Shepherd. Not a bad piece of property to own. I'll see what I can find out. He owned most of that land in that area at one time.

45 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Is this the old Orion site?

Depending upon the massing, the folks in Bayou Bend Tower might be losing downtown views if this thing lifts off!

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Wow, this thread brings back memories.  Not good ones, but memories nonetheless.  I remember the teeth gnashing when this got scrapped.  It was up there with the Shamrock Hotel downtown.  Luckily we got 609 Main a while later, hopefully we get the same upgrade here.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I wonder when and if trails can be built along the HCFC easement linking Buffalo Bayou Park at Shepherd with Memorial Park. It can surely physically be done, it's just the NIMBY issue that must be overcome.

That would make sense.  Unfortunately there are some pretty wealthy NIMBY's in the neighborhood.  

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I wonder when and if trails can be built along the HCFC easement linking Buffalo Bayou Park at Shepherd with Memorial Park. It can surely physically be done, it's just the NIMBY issue that must be overcome.

Even if there is room and it could physically be done, I would imagine that the terms of the HCFC easements would not allow for trails, meaning a separate easement would have to be negotiated with each property owner (and presumably paid for). I saw a BBP presentation some time ago where they talked of that missing link and said they are always working on trying to acquire property rights to make that connection.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Memorial Dr. & Buffalo Bayou: 11-Acres
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • The title was changed to Memorial Dr. & Buffalo Bayou: Two 30-Story High-Rises on 11-Acres
  • The title was changed to Two 30-Story Multifamily High-Rises On Memorial Dr. At Buffalo Bayou
  • 1 month later...
On 3/24/2022 at 4:15 PM, Justin Welling said:

Did they mean to misspell Asbury St on the website? Listed as "Ashbury Street"...

Definitely a typo.  This is a good site not only for its quiet pocket of bayou forest feel -- if the Logan Lane development had been done right, this neighborhood could feel South Boulevard already -- but also because it stands right in the middle of where Kirby Drive could have been, and so it will be the vista visible all up and down the street, tying it together from the south.