St. Regis Residences & Future Multifamily On Asbury Pl.

SpaceCity

holy moly dude...that is garish...the interior is like any other apartment interior and the exterior, well, saying it looks like something that would be built in a pseudo-western city like dubai is not a compliment...

Not really. The interiors - despite the photo - are not like any other high-rise I've seen in Houston. Check it out at the sales center and see for yourself (and no, I'm not on the sales team).

You see it as garish - I really don't have a problem with this project. It is much nicer than some of the other condominium projects we've seen go up in this city (the Mercer, the Mark, Randall Davis projects all come to mind).

This said, I am concerned more about how the project meets the ground than how it looks on the skyline. I do hope that the project will be sensitive to the banks of Buffalo Bayou and not turn its back to this historically important waterway... unlike other recent projects on its banks (i.e. - the Hobby Center).

Unfortunately, I would say that there have been much more interesting and innovative projects built in Middle Eastern cities (and throughout the world) than in Houston, Texas as of late. Check out the most recent edition of Urban Land - you'll see what I mean...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not really. The interiors - despite the photo - are not like any other high-rise I've seen in Houston. Check it out at the sales center and see for yourself (and no, I'm not on the sales team).

You see it as garish - I really don't have a problem with this project. It is much nicer than some of the other condominium projects we've seen go up in this city (the Mercer, the Mark, Randall Davis projects all come to mind).

This said, I am concerned more about how the project meets the ground than how it looks on the skyline. I do hope that the project will be sensitive to the banks of Buffalo Bayou and not turn its back to this historically important waterway... unlike other recent projects on its banks (i.e. - the Hobby Center).

Unfortunately, I would say that there have been much more interesting and innovative projects built in Middle Eastern cities (and throughout the world) than in Houston, Texas as of late. Check out the most recent edition of Urban Land - you'll see what I mean...

He's got a point. It is a tad garish, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of the new condo towers (the Mercer springs to mind, bringing with it a headache) are not exactly style kings. I'm not a big fan of the color, but for once it isn't beige, which is a good thing.

• 1 month later...
He's got a point.  It is a tad garish, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  A lot of the new condo towers (the Mercer springs to mind, bringing with it a headache) are not exactly style kings.  I'm not a big fan of the color, but for once it isn't beige, which is a good thing.

anybody know the website of orion? or the sales team whereabouts?

I think it looks awful- like some nouveau riche dreamland. The entry way is so overblown with the fake "island waterfall and rocks.." Looks like something Donald Trump or our own Tilman Fertitta would have built (but without the neon). Yikes!

I don't know about you guys, but when something has this many bells and whistles it makes me wonder what they're hiding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Developer nets partner, schedules groundbreaking

Asbury Place Development, the developer of a proposed pair of high-rise condominium towers, has secured a financial partner that will manage construction of the luxury units.

Orion Tarragon, a new development partnership between Asbury and Tarragon Corp., is scheduled to break ground on the first building of the Orion condominiums near Memorial Park in December for completion in the second quarter of 2007.

The 50-50 Orion Tarragon partnership went into effect Nov. 1.

Tarragon, a publicly traded development firm, will finance, develop and manage construction of Orion. The Asbury Place group is handling sales, marketing and design of the project, which is located on Asbury Place between Westcott and Shepherd near Memorial Drive.

"We originally had not intended to bring a partner on, but we thought with the size and complexity of this, we needed a firm that had a lot of experience in the financing and construction," says developer Robert Day, who started the Asbury group. "It's kind of grown into a massive, complex project."

The buildings will cost close to $250 million to construct, and the units' total sales value will reach $425 million, Day says.

Designs call for units in the two 37-story towers to span an average of 3,500 square feet and carry a $1.1 million median price. The first building, slated to have 180 units, has already sold 99 units for a total of $80 million, Day says.

"The sales had outpaced what we thought they were going to be," says Day, who has a development firm based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. "I think it will be an overwhelming success. Houston is ripe for this project."

Day says a partner was not needed to move forward with the project, but by bringing in Tarragon, they will be able to construct both towers within a year of each other.

The second tower will likely break ground this time next year, which will allow the exterior of the second building to be finished by the time residents begin moving into the first tower.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ORION Emerges: New Luxury Vertical Residences to Change the Face of Houston Skyline

Wednesday December 8, 4:49 pm ET

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 8, 2004--Groundbreaking ceremonies, scheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 8 at 12:30 p.m., will usher in the advent of a significant addition to the Houston skyline. Appropriately named ORION, the first of two 37-story residences will be located on Memorial along the Buffalo Bayou at Asbury Place.

Each tower, with stunning views of River Oaks and Houston's vibrant downtown, will include 180 luxury residences priced to over $5 million. The foundation for the $425 million project will be poured during the first quarter of 2005, with vertical construction beginning in the spring. The first tower is slated for completion in the late spring of 2007 with the second tower breaking ground next winter. ORION will be developed by ORION Towers Tarragon LLC, a New York-based real estate company, a partnership between Asbury Place Development and Tarragon Corporation (Nasdaq:TARR - News), which has an investment portfolio valued at more than $1.2 billion.

"As a native Texan, I am thrilled to be working here again and to be affiliated with such a magnificent project," said Jim Cauley, president of Tarragon South Development Corp. "Tarragon specializes in this type of development and we are pleased to bring ORION to Houstonians."

ORION's 10-acre setting will be made even more desirable by way of gardens, flowers, lush foliage and parks within parks. Its close proximity to the many pleasures the city has to offer -- theatres, museums, world-class golf courses, major sports arenas, shopping and fine dining -- offer ORION's residents a highly desirable location.

"ORION is the legacy of River Oaks -- it's the River Oaks for the next generation of those seeking Houston's finest living," said David Spiers, co-developer of ORION.

Backed by a team of some of the nation's most accomplished designers, engineers and builders, ORION is destined to be an iconic landmark for Houston. A number of prestigious firms have been assembled to give ORION its distinctive look: Architectural Services International; Manhattan Construction Company; CBM Engineers; and Keiji Asakura, ASLA Landscaping. These widely respected firms share a client list that includes the IBM Tower in Singapore, Bush Presidential Library, Reliant Stadium, Washington National Airport, United States Capitol Visitors Center, The Pacific Design Center, Toyota Center and Botanic Garden.

ORION has been designed by world-renowned architect Ede I. Nemeti, president and chief operations officer of Architectural Services International Inc. The building's facade will feature a magnificent soaring Pegasus between art deco spheres, while its finishes, services and common areas have the look and feel of a world class five-star hotel. Generous balconies are complete with Viking Gas equipped summer kitchens and views to the park, River Oaks, downtown, the Medical Center and the Galleria area. Many residences have views in two directions and some with 180 degree sweeps.

"Ede Nemeti has designed and built internationally recognized projects in 24 countries. ORION unites his signature touch with leading developers and designers to create the highest standards of living," said Robert Day, co-developer of ORION. "These residences will draw buyers seeking the finest construction available and the exciting lifestyle that comes with living in the heart of the River Oaks area."

Two gleaming structures will feature elegantly proportioned residences complete with innovative design features and the latest in Smart House technology, representing a benchmark in luxury vertical palaces through unparalleled space, design, innovation and sumptuous amenities. Owners may choose from six floor plans encompassing 1,687 to 8,200 square feet and ranging from two to five bedrooms. Each residence is filled with daylight and is complimented by well thought out appointments -- glass railings, generous balconies, European-style loggias, French doors, gorgeous baths clad in travertine marble, captivating cityscapes, private and semiprivate elevator foyers, 11-inch ceilings couffered and vaulted with recessed lighting, Delacassa cabinetry, Viking appliances, custom-cut granite counters and an outdoor summer kitchen with a Viking gas grill.

Within ORION's pampered environs, owners will find a number of sophisticated building amenities and personal services, including an around-the-clock manned front desk, common area monitoring systems, five-star concierge services, 24-hour valet parking, luxury hotel-style property management services, a residents-only ORION Clubhouse offering the features and service of a grand private social club, a business center, library, Olympic-size pool, landscaped terraces, a state-of-the-art fitness center and an aerobics studio.

ORION's sales center was recognized by The National Sales and Marketing Council Awards and placed in the following categories: Best Brochure over $500,000, Best Color Ads, Best Sales Office, Best Signage, Best Attached Community Urban and Best Logo Design.

The award-winning sales center is located at Eight Asbury Place, Houston, Texas, and is open daily from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Private appointments to tour the center can be made at 713-880-1616.

Rendering and interior photos available upon request.

About Tarragon Corporation

Tarragon Corporation is a leading homebuilder specializing in the development and marketing of residential communities in high-density, urban in-fill locations in Florida, the Northeast, Texas and Tennessee. Tarragon also owns and operates an investment portfolio of approximately 14,000 apartments and 1.4 million square feet of commercial space, valued at more than $1 billion. To learn more about Tarragon Corporation, visit www.tarragoncorp.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stevens/FKM, Houston

Angie Knust, 713-867-3224

aknust@fkmagency.com

or

Jessica Chapman, 713-867-3180

jchapman@fkmagency.com

Nights: 713-974-9133

• Like 1