Chuys In Cypress On Highway 290

cnote

This topic was kinda piggy backing on the Maui Tacos thread so I think we should start a new one...

Jimcas posted in that thread that they had applied for a liquor license but I hadn't seen any action on the building until....

Yesterday I was driving by the old Barton Springs Grill and noticed a banner sign on the exterior saying "Chuy's Coming Soon"

I can't wait....

To reply to my own thread...bulldozers were there this morning, it looks like they are actually going to be making some structural changes to the building rather than just moving in. It looked like they may have torn down the glass turret that was there previously.

• 2 weeks later...

What happend to Barton Springs? We really liked it. The decor was great and the food wasn't bad (unlike others that have stayed in business forever). That is a great building too - I cannot understand why they would tear it down or parts of it.

By the way, I love Chuy's and I'm so excited they are opening there.

That area is becoming a real restaurant row. We ate at the new Japanese Steakhouse "Toro". It was very good. Better than Benihani IMO and immensely better than Shogun. With the new coal fired pizza place, "Forno's" and Chuy's I'm sure we'll be hitting that corner more often.

That area is becoming a real restaurant row. We ate at the new Japanese Steakhouse "Toro". It was very good. Better than Benihani IMO and immensely better than Shogun. With the new coal fired pizza place, "Forno's" and Chuy's I'm sure we'll be hitting that corner more often.

Where is the coal fired pizza place? Is it open? I also have always wondered how the mexican place there is...I think it is Las Rosas???

I know Barton Springs grill was originally on 249 and moved because the owner didn't like the demographic or something weird...then I don't think it ever really took off at the new location, or maybe the owner just decided to move it again...

Where is the coal fired pizza place? Is it open? I also have always wondered how the mexican place there is...I think it is Las Rosas???

I know Barton Springs grill was originally on 249 and moved because the owner didn't like the demographic or something weird...then I don't think it ever really took off at the new location, or maybe the owner just decided to move it again...

See the thread entitled "More Pizza Options Coming soon" for the coal fired pizza place info.

As far as Barton Springs - I read that article a while back too - the owner decided a couple of months after he opened that the 249 location had bad demographics. Then he moved to a completely different demographic at 1960 and 290... The contrast between the two locations is like Miami Beach and Idaho so that was a good call on his part. Seems like he maybe ought to have considered the demographics before opening in the first place - but what do I know.

I went there once and wasn't impressed (though it was better than the Red Robin it replaced. Gourmet Burgers my ass.

Side note - I think Bertani Ranch will be out of business in less than a year as well - I looked inside the building the other day. It doesn't look like a place I'd drop $100+ on for a meal for two... not even close unless your idea of a nice night out is the Golden Corral or a nice night of shopping is hanging out at Katy Mills Mall. (kidding on the last part - sort of).

See the thread entitled "More Pizza Options Coming soon" for the coal fired pizza place info.

As far as Barton Springs - I read that article a while back too - the owner decided a couple of months after he opened that the 249 location had bad demographics. Then he moved to a completely different demographic at 1960 and 290... The contrast between the two locations is like Miami Beach and Idaho so that was a good call on his part. Seems like he maybe ought to have considered the demographics before opening in the first place - but what do I know.

I went there once and wasn't impressed (though it was better than the Red Robin it replaced. Gourmet Burgers my ass.

Side note - I think Bertani Ranch will be out of business in less than a year as well - I looked inside the building the other day. It doesn't look like a place I'd drop $100+ on for a meal for two... not even close unless your idea of a nice night out is the Golden Corral or a nice night of shopping is hanging out at Katy Mills Mall. (kidding on the last part - sort of).

I know, I mean seriously, what freaking demographic was he looking for??? The one that likes overpriced food because of an inauthentic phony Austin atmosphere? If they want to recreate Austin-esque they needed at least a patio shaded by oak trees and some live music...

I know, I mean seriously, what freaking demographic was he looking for??? The one that likes overpriced food because of an inauthentic phony Austin atmosphere? If they want to recreate Austin-esque they needed at least a patio shaded by oak trees and some live music...

and the more I think about it, the angrier his explanation makes me...what is an "Austin" demographic? Was he looking for lots of college kids in Cypress/Tomball? What an idiot...and college kids don't eat at expensive places, they like the most food for the least possible money a la Texadelphia, Freebirds, Huts, etc. Casual dining places that attract college kids like Chuy's, Hula Hut, Shady Grove, Trudy's and Baby A's do so with dirt cheap drink specials, Live music, and scenic settings (not the feeder road of 249 iwth no trees)...

I lived in Austin for five years, and I can't remember a single casual dining restaurant a la Barton Springs Grill that would be packed with young college kids. The "demographic" eating at the place would be the exact same thing you get in Cypress/Tomball...middle to upper middle class families.

If that really was this guys reason, he was an idiot...

• 1 month later...
I'm not sure if the chueys in the woodlands is on par with other ones, but it was not all that great. I don't think I'll be going back again.

Probably ordered the wrong thing, some items on the menu are decidedly pedestrian, but certain things are just awesome. Creamy Jalapeno and a Macho Burrito are tough to beat, or a grilled chicken burrito smothered in queso....mmmm...how did you hear June 4th? I drive by daily and there isn't a sign or anything....

Probably ordered the wrong thing, some items on the menu are decidedly pedestrian, but certain things are just awesome. Creamy Jalapeno and a Macho Burrito are tough to beat, or a grilled chicken burrito smothered in queso....mmmm...how did you hear June 4th? I drive by daily and there isn't a sign or anything....

I got the #1 delux platter. If a friend so happens to want to go in the future, maybe I'll order your suggestions.

how did you hear June 4th? I drive by daily and there isn't a sign or anything....

I called another Houston Chuy's location and asked if they knew when it was opening and whoever answered the phone said "June 4".

I called another Houston Chuy's location and asked if they knew when it was opening and whoever answered the phone said "June 4".

good enough for me, I will be there...

good enough for me, I will be there...

Went yesterday and had a great meal. They did an awesome job with the restaurant. The service was a little slow due to the newness and it was very busy, but everyone was super friendly so it more than made up for it. The food was awesome, just like the Barton Springs Chuy's I frequented so often in college.

Overall, a great addition to the NW restaurant selection. Great margarita's too, and the bar area was nice.

I checked it out too and was impressed. For all I know I was sitting right next to the legendary cnote.

Cheap bastard tip of the day - the kids chicken fingers were pretty darn good and came with 5 and were only $3.99.

Order these to go "for your kids" and eat them yourself!

I checked it out too and was impressed. For all I know I was sitting right next to the legendary cnote.

Cheap bastard tip of the day - the kids chicken fingers were pretty darn good and came with 5 and were only $3.99.

Order these to go "for your kids" and eat them yourself!

Extra super secret cheap bastard/college student tip of the day: All burritos can be ordered "mini", for around 5-6 dollars. They still come with rice but are supposedly half the normal size. They are more than any normal person should consume after gorging on chips and creamy jalapeno.

• The title was changed to Chuys In Cypress On Highway 290

Archived