The East Side Wants A New Name

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why it's triangle shaped? and up to Cullen/45 area? Doesn't make sense.

Bet someone names it Triangle Gardens, Eastern Panhandle, etc.

I will just call it Crabwell Corner's. :lol:

Actually, it's more like a Bikini Bottom, but Sponge Bob beat us to that one.

Hahaha...Well, they have Downtown & Midtown, how about "Easttown"...

Why are they always wanting to change everything in this town?

I'm counting on you guys for my daily :lol: , now.

This is dumb. What is wrong with "The East End"? Changing the name sounds like a thinly -veiled attempt at denying the existence of the perceived "bad" qualities of the area (blight). However, it also denies the good qualities of the area (history, unique character, etc.) and moves it a little closer towards a gentrified ersatz environment, like other areas of the inner-loop.

This sounds like the work of real-estate agents and creative marketing to me...

This is dumb. What is wrong with "The East End"? Changing the name sounds like a thinly -veiled attempt at denying the existence of the perceived "bad" qualities of the area (blight). However, it also denies the good qualities of the area (history, unique character, etc.) and moves it a little closer towards a gentrified ersatz environment, like other areas of the inner-loop.

Norm Pegram, Jr., Chairman

International Mailing Systems, Inc. (Industry: Direct Marketing)

815 Live Oak St.

Houston, TX 77003

713-222-8871

Joshua Espinedo, Vice Chair and Assistant Secretary

Project manager with Hines since 2003. IT management background; before that he was with SBC developing product lines and sales strategies for clients like Clear Channel and Landry

This is so freakin' stupid and shallow. I absolutely hate these efforts to rename neighborhoods in the interest of being "hip" and "vibrant". You just know they're looking for some "so-do" kind of name. This does have "marketing consultant" written all over it. Can we all enter and suggest keeping "East End"? It seems to have worked just fine for the last 150 years, before "An eclectic mix of urbanites, artists and budding entrepreneurs were drawn to this area for its originality, superior location and historical value." :wacko:

I still have a hard time calling The Galleria Area, Uptown. I think it will always be the Galleria to me.

I'm sure they will come up with a name for the new CityCentre/Memorial Herman area soon too. But to me it will always be West Memorial.

If it helps to create interest and excitement in the area and it ultimately brings some retail to the area, I am ALL for it. I have no problems with it whatsoever. Actually, I think it's a great idea. Warehouse district just doesn't cut it. Neither does Near East End in my opinion. I'm busy thinking of names to submit to the website...

Dan Nip

Dan Nip is President of Product Marketing International, Inc. (PMI) which he formed in 1988 after

receiving his BS and MBA degrees from Chaminade University of Hawaii. PMI engages in real

estate development, international investment and international trade, and in 2000 developed the

largest Asian owned retail center in the country which is 100% occupied. Mr. Nip's corporation also

trades food and high-tech products between Asia and America, and with its joint venture partner

Green Mountain Investments, LLC has developed power plants and infrastructure in China. Mr.

Nip was a co-founder and President of the Asian Chamber of Commerce, and founder and

President of the Chinatown Community Development Corp. He is Chairman of the East

Downtown Development Authority, and serves on the boards of the East Downtown Management

District, Texas Interfaith Housing Corporation, and Central Houston, Inc. In 1999, Mr. Nip

received honorary citizenship from the Houston's sister city, Shenzhen, China and is President of

the Houston Shenzhen Sister City Association. Mr. Nip is a licensed CPA, real estate, and loan

broker, and a board member of Blue Print Houston and the Buffalo Bayou Partnership.

have you ever noticed that the more powerful the person, the shorter the bio?

Poor Mr. Nip, our modern cultural sensibilities preclude us from naming the area NipTown. NITO, for the hipsters.

This is so freakin' stupid and shallow. I absolutely hate these efforts to rename neighborhoods in the interest of being "hip" and "vibrant". You just know they're looking for some "so-do" kind of name. This does have "marketing consultant" written all over it. Can we all enter and suggest keeping "East End"? It seems to have worked just fine for the last 150 years, before "An eclectic mix of urbanites, artists and budding entrepreneurs were drawn to this area for its originality, superior location and historical value." :wacko:

For the record, the "East End" is a considerably larger area that extends out toward Gulfgate. The area that they're trying to rebrand is only a very small part of that.

I'm going with "East Downtown". Aside possibly from Midtown, this neighborhood is the most integrated with downtown Houston, and given downtown's new-found vitality, aligning with that is just plain prudent. Besides, that name is already recognized so as not to require total rebranding and it gives a sense of direction for people that are spatially-challenged.

it is surprising that the navigation/el mercado area isn't part of this. The part east of the rr tracks looks very engineered to include the offices of the east end mgmt dist.

The Greater East End Management District is officed on the north side of Harrisburg, east of the railroad tracks. They are not within this area as it is defined, nor are they affiliated with the East Downtown Management District (although, interestingly, both organizations were created by the State legislature in 1999). Their boundaries interlock with the East Downtown Management District's, as you can see in the map below:

dinabt_map.gif

Their boundaries interlock with the East Downtown Management District's, as you can see in the map below:

yep but it doesn't mesh with the map that comes up on the namethedistrict.com website's initial page, which is what i was surveying. guess the webmaster was lazy.

EDIT: i'm going with EAsT HOuston (EAT HO)

I have always called it the warehouse district and most people seem to know of where I speak.

Someone on Swamplot suggested "TED: Triangle East of Downtown." While it reminds me too much of TriBeCa (which then reminds me that the best community names (IMO) grow out of local use and not branding), it isn't half bad. The fancy new street signs and marketing items could be kinda interesting.

"TED: The hip new zip"

"Welcome to Ted"

"I live in Ted"

OK, it's too cutesy for that area, but I still like it, even though I'm a couple of blocks outside its boundaries.

I have always called it the warehouse district and most people seem to know of where I speak.

Someone on Swamplot suggested "TED: Triangle East of Downtown." While it reminds me too much of TriBeCa (which then reminds me that the best community names (IMO) grow out of local use and not branding), it isn't half bad. The fancy new street signs and marketing items could be kinda interesting.

"TED: The hip new zip"

"Welcome to Ted"

"I live in Ted"

OK, it's too cutesy for that area, but I still like it, even though I'm a couple of blocks outside its boundaries.

Amazingly, I wouldn't be surprised if that won. "The TED District" or something like that.

:lol::lol::lol: You guys (and girls) are killing me!!!

on second thought, my idea was too boring, I vote for any of the funny names. (I never thought this board would be sooo entertaining! )

I'm going with "East Downtown".

Or we could squish that and call it EastTown.

But considering the way the section on the map hangs off of downtown like a dingleberry, I'm going to suggest "Eastberry."

Another idea:

Gentriville.

We ought to inudate the e-mail address with crazy entries, like "South Fifth Ward" or "North Third Ward", "The Downwind District".

Another idea:

Gentriville.

Sorry, that name has been taken for Third Ward. :lol:

Archived