Cy-Champ Park At 14619 Cutten Rd.

mrfootball

I went to see Dr. Fawcett the other day and was really impressed with how Cutten Rd. looks. It's a very pretty boulevard from 1960 through to Cypresswood. Noticed construction going on closer to 1960 and was happy to hear that a new park is being built.

Here's the info:

CY-CHAMP PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT

Park project beginning to take shape

Bond funds allow officials to pay for it

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/cyf...ws/5625903.html

By KIM JACKSON

Chronicle Correspondent

Residents' growing awareness, and concerns about the area's disappearing greenspace was one of the reasons Cy-Champ Public Utility District board hatched plans for a park project along Cutten Road three years ago, said district board member Ron Walkoviak.

The district polled its residents in the subdivisions, apartment complex and commercials area located on the east side of Cutten Road from Cypresswood to FM 1960, and held public meetings to gauge their interest in the park project and the bond issue that would be required to pay for it.

Public sentiment was in favor of the project, so the board held a bond election in May 2005 and Cy-Champ residents unanimously approved up to $3 million in bonds for the park project. Walkoviak said in the end the district will spend $2.5 million of that on the project, including the purchase of the site adjacent to the Union Pacific Railroad tracks, the site work and construction work, and the park equipment.

Today crews are moving through the park site, which stretches from Hargrave to Cypresswood Road on the west side of Cutten Road, laying the foundation for a one-and-a-half-mile trail, children's playground area and a dozen picnic tables and benches.

"The wooded portion of the tract was kept as wooded as possible to maintain the original character of the property," Walkoviak said. "There were not many trees at the northern end of the park, so we will plant trees there as part of the park improvements."

He said Cy-Champ officials want to hold the grand opening of this park in late April or early May.

"We want to let everyone know that this is a public park, and it will be open for everyone to enjoy in the area," Walkoviak said. "It does not matter which neighborhood or water district you live in."

Walkoviak said Cy-Champ PUD officials are award of the potential for tying this park and trail in to the Cypress Creek Greenway project, which is in development stages along Cypress Creek.

However, he said they are not sure how that would evolve until plans are in place for the proposed stretch of Cypress Creek Greenway trail along Cypresswood Drive and Cypress Creek from Meyer Park to the future Kickerillo Mischer Preserve at Texas 249.

The Cypress Creek Greenway project proposes to connect a series of new and existing "hub" or "anchor" parks along Cypress Creek and Little Cypress Creek with linear parks or trail systems. The ultimate goal is to provide a continuous link of greenspace from east of Interstate 45 to west of U.S. 290.

"We really applaud the Cy-Champ PUD for what they have done along Cutten Road," said Jim Robertson of the Cypress Creek Greenway Project. "They are very clearly doing things to enhance the quality of life in the area.

"We are encouraged when we see water districts and neighborhoods take steps to create parks and trails in neighborhoods, particularly those that can be tied in to the Cypress Creek Greenway project."

Robertson said he has met with Cy-Champ officials and presented the Cypress Creek Greenway plan. He said he realizes there would need to be a link created across Cutten or Cypresswood roads to connect the Cy-Champ park in to the future Greenway path because the proposed trail from Meyer-to-Kickerillo Mischer Preserve is located on the north side of Cypresswood Road at that point. The Cy-Champ PUD park ends on the south side of Cypresswood Road.

Those are details that will explored as planning moves forward on the Greenway project, Robertson said.

"We are happy to help out," Walkoviak said.

Cy-Champ Public Utility District board member

I am so pleased to hear that the Cypress Creek Greenway project is still active, I think it is such a great idea to preserve and showcase the waterway and make it useful, in the vein of Hershey park along Buffalo Bayou. Always welcome more park space!

• 1 month later...

The park is not completed yet and residents are already using it.

One main concern I have is that this park is very very close to the railroad tracks. There's a playground only a few feet away from the tracks. At a glance, I dont' see them building anything to eleminate kids from running near the tracks. It's an accident waiting to happen.

However, I must say, the park is a nice addition to our residents nearby. It is beautiful and a reason for them to save the trees. Which incidentally, that's not what happened across the street from the park. They cut all the trees down to build business areas. Sigh... I have such mixed emotion every time I go by this intersection.

The park is not completed yet and residents are already using it.

One main concern I have is that this park is very very close to the railroad tracks. There's a playground only a few feet away from the tracks. At a glance, I dont' see them building anything to eleminate kids from running near the tracks. It's an accident waiting to happen.

However, I must say, the park is a nice addition to our residents nearby. It is beautiful and a reason for them to save the trees. Which incidentally, that's not what happened across the street from the park. They cut all the trees down to build business areas. Sigh... I have such mixed emotion every time I go by this intersection.

The park is in close proximity not only to the train, but also to the traffic on Cutten. However, there is a fence behind the trees to separate the park from the train, although it is not a very secure one. My take on this: Watch your children!

I walked the entire trail with my daughter a few days ago. The park is nicely wooded and is such a welcomed addition. It will be lovely when/if the proposed connection to the preserve at The Vintage is completed.

Honestly, I'll take parks like this over another strip mall any day!

• The title was changed to Cy-Champ Park At 14619 Cutten Rd.

Archived