Glenbrook Homes

NenaE

Hello again, I was wondering if anyone knows where that house is that is listed in the http://www.glenbrookvalley.com/ "Photo Gallery", the one with no address. It has a portecochere, I call it the sideways house. Love that design. :wub: (drove by in Dec. Didn't see it)

Also, the A. Carroll Brodnax house on Stony Dell Ct. from the "Sloping Site to have 4-Level Residence" article (in "Neighborhood History"), Address? There are two homes at the end of the culdesac, rt or left hs.?

:lol: One of these days I'm gonna run out of questions!

Hello again, I was wondering if anyone knows where that house is that is listed in the http://www.glenbrookvalley.com/ "Photo Gallery", the one with no address. It has a portecochere, I call it the sideways house. Love that design. :wub: (drove by in Dec. Didn't see it)

that's on santa elena between 45 and broadway. a haif member owns it i believe.

If you are talking about the one that is at the top of the photo gallery on Glenbrookvalley.com, it's 7911 Santa Elena and I'm the lucky owner.

There are also 2 additional pics of it, one with the address and one without.

If you are talking about the one that is at the top of the photo gallery on Glenbrookvalley.com, it's 7911 Santa Elena and I'm the lucky owner.

There are also 2 additional pics of it, one with the address and one without.

You lucky dog! That's a wonderful design. I love that one too! Believe that's the one with a 2nd story, set back, like over the garage, I saw it in HAR when it was for sale. Was like a time warp, those pics. Glad to know you own it, it's safe.That area of Glenbrook is my favorite. But I was actually talking about the one on the right column, 8 houses down. Gray brick.

Thanks guys for the info. :)

OK I may be missing something here..but...the right hand column, 8 houses down, with no address...is indeed 7911 Santa Elena. Believe me I know. I live in it. That is the view from Glendell Court and is technically the side yard.

OK I may be missing something here..but...the right hand column, 8 houses down, with no address...is indeed 7911 Santa Elena. Believe me I know. I live in it. That is the view from Glendell Court and is technically the side yard.

I believe you! looks like a totally different house in that pic! Thanks! haha...you should know your own house. It is indeed very cool! B)

The Stoneydell house you are asking about is 8123. It's the one on the left if you are facing the house. It originally had a metalic sculpture on the left corner that pointed outward in a triangular position. It was attached to the house and a tree was growing up through it. My understanding is that the current owners removed it and are using it as a sculpture in the backyard beside the pool. I've never been in the house but I did see the "Four Levels of Living" article and it sounds like it would be very cool.

The Stoneydell house you are asking about is 8123. It's the one on the left if you are facing the house. It originally had a metalic sculpture on the left corner that pointed outward in a triangular position. It was attached to the house and a tree was growing up through it. My understanding is that the current owners removed it and are using it as a sculpture in the backyard beside the pool. I've never been in the house but I did see the "Four Levels of Living" article and it sounds like it would be very cool.

Thanks toulouse & musicman, that's an interesting story, toulouse..let me know if you ever get to tour it, and please keep me posted on that "river rock" house. If it really is appraised so much less, the chances of it havng a happy ending are slim. (it needs a HAIF member to adopt it).I'll try to think positive. I would love to observe how the creek, gully, or whatever it is,flows in those backyards. And how it originally was set to drain. (My favorite show on HGTV is House Detectives).

About the confusion, I will try to have my coffee before reading and responding to your info. :P

Thanks again, my notes are now more complete!

Thanks toulouse & musicman, that's an interesting story, toulouse..let me know if you ever get to tour it, and please keep me posted on that "river rock" house. If it really is appraised so much less, the chances of it havng a happy ending are slim. (it needs a HAIF member to adopt it).I'll try to think positive. I would love to observe how the creek, gully, or whatever it is,flows in those backyards. And how it originally was set to drain. (My favorite show on HGTV is House Detectives).

About the confusion, I will try to have my coffee before reading and responding to your info. :P

Thanks again, my notes are now more complete!

Toulouse's house is even more amazing in person.

The river rock house would give you amazing views of the water flow. Since it sometimes flows right through the garage in a storm.

Toulouse,

I am relatively new to the Houston Mod Scene and I just discovered Glenbrook Valley a couple of weeks ago. After driving through the neighborhood, I have to say that your house is my absolute favorite among all of the great mods in the neighborhood. Any chance that you might consider giving a tour of it? Has it ever been the Mod of the Month?

It was Mod of the Month when I bought it. If you go to HAR.com, click on single family homes, then enter Santa Elena in the address field. Street number 7911. The before pics of the house will show up there. Alot of work has been done since those pics and the furniture that I have is much more appropriate for the mod look of the house. The bar room, which fellow Glenbrook residents refer to as the Kit Kat Lounge is unchanged other being less cluttered. I got all of the furniture in that room with the house with exception of the juke box which I didn't want. Although the Kit Kat Lounge is less cluttered now, it has become quite the party headquarters for many Glenbrook residents and their friends.

For those interested in these old Glenbrook mods, or those who have yet to explore the area, there is an estate sale Friday and Saturday at one that is a good one to wander through.

7843 Santa Elena, about 3 houses off Broadway, across from Stolitx, has been purchased by some people moving from Cole's Crossing out in Mr. Football land, ^_^ There is going to be an estate sale there this Friday and Saturday.

Now as far as the estate sale itself, I don't know, unless you are in the market for something with cherubs and gilt. The three dining rooms are stuffed full of good china, so it does have that. It is worth going though, just to check out the house. (I think the new owners might cut anyone a deal that is looking for gently used floral carpet). It is one of the larger houses in there and is a one owner. A true throw-back to its Italian heyday. (these are not the best pics, sorry!)

P2030001.jpg

P2030013.jpg

P2030010.jpg

P2030003.jpg

P2030007.jpg

P2030008.jpg

Make that Thursday that the estate sale starts, at 9.

On the four level A. Carroll Brodnax house, it is this one:

hr1334899-1.jpg

Unfortunately the wooden "point" that protruded at the left side of the house has been removed, along with the railing over a small front courtyard effect. There were metal railing/trellis type things that are still around in the backyard, or at least they were, being used as free standing trellis'. There is also some hurricane shutters that do not benefit the house architecturally.

If someone were to go back in and correct these details, the house would really pop. The original blue-prints were in the house that last time it was sold, about 2004, to the owner of Pulido funeral homes in the east end. It has a pool and is on the ravine.

hr1334899-5.jpg

I suspect that below the flagstone "ledge" even with the fireplace, might have been poured terrazzo under the tile, especially since the article refers to the house having a lot of terrazzo.

hr1334899-2.jpg

As for the lava rock house, from what I understand the people who built it had something to do with the old carousel hotel, either owned it, built it originally or something. The house sits down in a swale and the garage was originally open, which would make more sense. At one point a previous owner had the house lifted and the stone put back on, but he didn't have it lifted quite enough I guess.

I was in it in 2004. At that time it had been pretty butchered inside. It was obvious the floorplan had been "scrambled. You walked in & there was a fireplace that faced a slip-shod excuse for a kitchen. Obviously the kitchen has been moved from a spot in the rear of the home towards the front. It did have two fireplaces, a bad covered patio thing in back that looks like a bait shop, and a number of other abuses. Since that time I don't think things have improved to say the least. The pool and basement garage have flooded numerous times. I suppose that is how they got the taxes reduced so significantly. The drainage issues affect about 3 houses in that groin between Stony Dell and Glen Dell to my knowledge. One of the homes was where a singer named Steve Tyrell grew up.

That is a great section of the neighborhood, but that house faces some challenges. The water that affects it is NOT water coming up from the bayou, but water that just can't get out of that "hole" to reach the bayou.

If you look at where that black car is sitting in the driveway in relation to the topography around it, I mean, it ain't a mystery.

IMG_0707.jpg

For those interested in these old Glenbrook mods, or those who have yet to explore the area, there is an estate sale Friday and Saturday at one that is a good one to wander through.

7843 Santa Elena, about 3 houses off Broadway, across from Stolitx, has been purchased by some people moving from Cole's Crossing out in Mr. Football land, ^_^ There is going to be an estate sale there this Friday and Saturday.

Now as far as the estate sale itself, I don't know, unless you are in the market for something with cherubs and gilt. The three dining rooms are stuffed full of good china, so it does have that. It is worth going though, just to check out the house. (I think the new owners might cut anyone a deal that is looking for gently used floral carpet). It is one of the larger houses in there and is a one owner. A true throw-back to its Italian heyday. (these are not the best pics, sorry!)

I have it on pretty good authority that the new owners could be willing to cut a deal on some custom satin drapes too.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
As for the lava rock house, from what I understand the people who built it had something to do with the old carousel hotel, either owned it, built it originally or something. The house sits down in a swale and the garage was originally open, which would make more sense. At one point a previous owner had the house lifted and the stone put back on, but he didn't have it lifted quite enough I guess. ...

That is a great section of the neighborhood, but that house faces some challenges. The water that affects it is NOT water coming up from the bayou, but water that just can't get out of that "hole" to reach the bayou

Thanks RPS, knew you would have a story about that lava rock house, & whole area! Drove by today, will be back with my camera "when it's raining" - hopefully. I believe you all, "about the flooding", would just like to see it for myself. It's all about the water in Houston, isn't it. Don't know why that particular house intrigues me so much. It's a very simple house, noticed the back has all glass. (Not much backyard for any house on Stony Dell, all slope).Would love to see it in original restored condition, with new water issues addressed by engineer.

And thanks to Toulouse & all for info.

Thanks RPS, knew you would have a story about that lava rock house,

Speaking of houses with lava rock, 10 years ago when my husband and I were house-hunting, I drove around Glenbrook just on a lark. I had fond childhood memories of looking at X-mas displays (Santa in a Rocketship!) there in the late fifties-early sixties. The only memorable house for sale was on a lot that sloped towards the bayou (I guess it was the bayou...) on or near the corner of Bellfort, but still seemed secluded. The house faced east and was set back far from the street. I remember white lava rock both on the landscape and the flat roof. Most of the walls of the front of the house were floor to ceiling glass and the floors were carpeted. It was in terrible shape, but the style was worthy of the Jetsons. All I could think of at the time was how badly that flat roof must leak! Although my details may be a little shaky, I've never forgotten this house and hope I can find it again. What are the borders of Glenbrook Valley?

Kittysmith, I think you might be talking about a house that sits at where two street signs meet, address at 8007 Glenloch Dr. (X-st. Glenview) It's where the road actually curves slightly, but not a sharp corner turn. Geographically, it is a very mysterious place. From maps, it shows a large peninsular wooded area, maybe sloped, that has a house sitting way back off the street. Can't tell what it originally looked like. Was not in-line with the rest of the block. Gave you the impression that it could have been "someone important- having to do with the development" property. Appraisal records show it was built in 1955, remodeled 1996, has cracked slab. Would it have been in the section behind the hospital?

Roughly, the borders of Glenbrook are: North-Simms Bayou, East - I45(South), South-Monroe,Airport Blvd., West-Telephone Rd. (South & West areas also have smaller 'hoods intermingled with GBk)

Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...and tell me more about that "mystery" house. :unsure:

Kittysmith, I think you might be talking about a house that sits at where two street signs meet, address at 8007 Glenloch Dr. (X-st. Glenview) It's where the road actually curves slightly, but not a sharp corner turn. Geographically, it is a very mysterious place. From maps, it shows a large peninsular wooded area, maybe sloped, that has a house sitting way back off the street. Can't tell what it originally looked like. Was not in-line with the rest of the block. Gave you the impression that it could have been "someone important- having to do with the development" property. Appraisal records show it was built in 1955, remodeled 1996, has cracked slab. Would it have been in the section behind the hospital?

Roughly, the borders of Glenbrook are: North-Simms Bayou, East - I45(South), South-Monroe,Airport Blvd., West-Telephone Rd. (South & West areas also have smaller 'hoods intermingled with GBk)

Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...and tell me more about that "mystery" house. :unsure:

The eastern border of Glenbrook is the drainage easement that runs north south from the Airport to Sims Bayou. Glenbrook is basically an upside down "U" shape around Broadway.

As for the house you describe in the curve of Glenloch/Glenview - That section was not developed until the early 60's and was the last section of Glenbrook. According to an original owner across the street, the house in question appeared in House Beautiful in the very early 60's, possibly 1963. A guy that grew up in the house now lives on Cayton with his Partner and he told me the house had the electric powered drapes and multiple levels stepping down the rear slope. The house to the west of it was built on what had been part of the "grounds" for that house. It appears to be a sizable piece of property. The current owners are not really maintaining it that well IMO. I have never been in it, so I cannot tell you any more.

I suspect the house that Kittysmith describes is on Colgate, and now belongs to a HAIF'er and true mod enthusiast who is working on restoring it. It sits far back from the street on a deep lot that backs up to one of the "finger ravines" of Sims Bayou. It is an intriguing house for anyone appreciative of mod architecture. The house has what I would describe as four "facades." You could turn it almost any direction on the lot and it would look fine from the street. It has an atrium, but is not to be confused with the other atrium house on Colgate that was open a while back as part of the mod of the month program.

I think Kittysmith may be thinking of this one:

IMG_0664.jpg

The eastern border of Glenbrook is the drainage easement that runs north south from the Airport to Sims Bayou. Glenbrook is basically an upside down "U" shape around Broadway.

As for the house you describe in the curve of Glenloch/Glenview - That section was not developed until the early 60's and was the last section of Glenbrook. According to an original owner across the street, the house in question appeared in House Beautiful in the very early 60's, possibly 1963. A guy that grew up in the house now lives on Cayton with his Partner and he told me the house had the electric powered drapes and multiple levels stepping down the rear slope. The house to the west of it was built on what had been part of the "grounds" for that house. It appears to be a sizable piece of property. The current owners are not really maintaining it that well IMO. I have never been in it, so I cannot tell you any more.

I suspect the house that Kittysmith describes is on Colgate, and now belongs to a HAIF'er and true mod enthusiast who is working on restoring it. It sits far back from the street on a deep lot that backs up to one of the "finger ravines" of Sims Bayou. It is an intriguing house for anyone appreciative of mod architecture. The house has what I would describe as four "facades." You could turn it almost any direction on the lot and it would look fine from the street. It has an atrium, but is not to be confused with the other atrium house on Colgate that was open a while back as part of the mod of the month program.

I think Kittysmith may be thinking of this one:

IMG_0664.jpg

Hm. This view doesn't look familiar; maybe it's the back side? The front was definitely an atrium... I hesitated calling it that since it had carpet, but yeah. I'm going to have to roam around over there soon & see if I can find it.

Speaking of mod, I was on Chimney Rock near Memorial yesterday. The three last houses (# 211, 207, 203?) before you hit Memorial if you're traveling north on Chimney Rock look very mod. The one on the corner is actually down in the ravine and another one is hanging over it. These have probably been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm new to the forums and am lousy at searches.

Hm. This view doesn't look familiar; maybe it's the back side? The front was definitely an atrium... I hesitated calling it that since it had carpet, but yeah. I'm going to have to roam around over there soon & see if I can find it.

Speaking of mod, I was on Chimney Rock near Memorial yesterday. The three last houses (# 211, 207, 203?) before you hit Memorial if you're traveling north on Chimney Rock look very mod. The one on the corner is actually down in the ravine and another one is hanging over it. These have probably been mentioned elsewhere, but I'm new to the forums and am lousy at searches.

The front used to look like this, but the "V" shaped brackets have been removed. the main rooms were carpeted and the front door was through a courtyard on the side. The atrium in the middle used to have a greenhouse style roof over it. That may or may not have been there when you saw it, if this is the same one. Was it off of Broadway or off of Bellfort? Probably Broadway.

IMG_0642.jpg

The front used to look like this, but the "V" shaped brackets have been removed. the main rooms were carpeted and the front door was through a courtyard on the side. The atrium in the middle used to have a greenhouse style roof over it. That may or may not have been there when you saw it, if this is the same one. Was it off of Broadway or off of Bellfort? Probably Broadway.

IMG_0642.jpg

No, this is definitely not the same place. The walls were completely glass in the front and on the right (north side. ) I would swear that it was right off of Bellfort, but this was 10 years ago. The mystery house described in another post sounds very similar.

The one on the corner is actually down in the ravine
Ahhh, yes, you are describing one of my favorite homes, I have several. I mentioned the Asian style,red cedar colored home (corner...Memorial at Chimney Rock) on another post, said it's very similar to the lava rock home on Stony Dell. Sits in a ravine, driveway/carport/garage is underneath. The google maps show the house I described in Glenbrook on the curve as having a multi-rectangle slab/shape...will be surprised if it is actually the one you describe. Don't recall ever seeing anything like that in years past. I'm very curious as to where that actually is!

Ahhh, yes, you are describing one of my favorite homes, I have several. I mentioned the Asian style,red cedar colored home (corner...Memorial at Chimney Rock) on another post, said it's very similar to the lava rock home on Stony Dell. Sits in a ravine, driveway/carport/garage is underneath. The google maps show the house I described in Glenbrook on the curve as having a multi-rectangle slab/shape...will be surprised if it is actually the one you describe. Don't recall ever seeing anything like that in years past. I'm very curious as to where that actually is!

I first noticed the house on Memorial/Chimney Rock because the older man who lives there always plants tomatoes by the metal barricade fence next to the road since his property is completely shaded! I've wanted to knock on his door for years to tell him just how cool that is! And to see the house, of course.

Archived