Teardown Trend Gaining Momentum In Suburbs

klein

"I think we're going to be the next West U," says Sheila Bourbeau, a Realtor with Heritage Texas who specializes in the Champions area located north of FM 1960 from Champions Drive to Champions Forest.

Ugh.. the arrogance.

They are doing a lot of teardown/new construction in/around the original Champions neighborhood. Some really nice million dollar homes going up. It's beautiful in there and there is a nice variety of homes in there from different eras, so it's got a lot of charm.

heh.

Sheila the Realtor needs to put down the crack pipe.

LOL.

I can see why people would want to knock them down for the lot sizes though. They put you on postage stamp lots out burbazoidia.

Next West U? Hmm Not. Champions is very nice, but it is not "location."

Sounded like a propagands piece to me. 3 teardowns does not a trend make. While there may be a few nice lots along the golf course that some people want, suggesting that this isolated phenomenon augers a trend of suburban teardowns is more than a stretch...it is outright fabrication. Hell, I can see 4 teardowns from my front porch, and this realtor thinks 3 teardowns in the entire Champions subdivision makes it the next West U?

That is rather interesting, but to say it's the next "West U" IS a bit much. I do see the reasoning why these properties would be so popular and the trend will continue for a couple of generations.
Sounded like a propagands piece to me. 3 teardowns does not a trend make. While there may be a few nice lots along the golf course that some people want, suggesting that this isolated phenomenon augers a trend of suburban teardowns is more than a stretch...it is outright fabrication. Hell, I can see 4 teardowns from my front porch, and this realtor thinks 3 teardowns in the entire Champions subdivision makes it the next West U?

That's why I said what I said. It's going to be a slow turnaround. Hell, I think people buying teardowns today will be teardowns tomorrow. I don't really know how it will develop, but I'm certain that that whole area will be ringed with retail just to upport that community unless another housing trend takes over the area....in about 20 years.

Maybe she is seeing the potential for more teardowns? Maybe she is puffing up the place to increase a buzz.

To me, there does appear to be more teardowns in neighborhoods that aren't necessarily close in. The Memorial area both inside and outside the Beltway comes to mind, as well as the 1960/Champions area. It would be interesting to see some data on this.

If a neighborhood is desirable, established, and stable, what difference does it make if it's 15 miles from Downtown or 35 miles? This gives homebuyers an alternative to either buying an older home in an older neighborhood or buying a new home in a new development.

I was in Champions a few weeks ago and mentioned the many teardown/new construction homes in those neighborhoods. Nice mix of different styles, especially liked the well-kept older homes, some over 40 years old now. It's always been a very nice neighborhood. I guess Red needs to get on his little bike and make a trip out there. It's very pretty, should make for a nice ride.

Archived