My Iphone Ate Itself

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but yesterday when I pulled my iPhone from its cradle it had a little window on it reading "Repair needed." Don't know what caused it. I've dropped it a few times since I got it back in the Fall, but not in the last few months.

Fortunately, I have 3 and a half years left on the warranty, so I made an appointment at the iPod bar, and seven minutes later walked out of the Apple Store with a new phone. Schweet!

And unlike every other phone I've every owned, all I had to do is plug it into my computer and everything was put back the way it used to be. Even the tiniest settings are perfect back the way they were. Really well done.

And unlike every other phone I've every owned, all I had to do is plug it into my computer and everything was put back the way it used to be. Even the tiniest settings are perfect back the way they were. Really well done.

Fortunately this is something that's becoming more commonplace now. I experienced a similar joy at finding all of my data and personalizations loaded on a replacement phone when my T-Mobile BlackBerry was replaced under warranty back in December. After plugging in the replacement phone to my computer and running the device transfer wizard that's part of BlackBerry's software, my new handset had all of my data and personal settings from the old one.

I've seen a few Samsung non-smart phones that have this capability as well.

Fortunately this is something that's becoming more commonplace now. I experienced a similar joy at finding all of my data and personalizations loaded on a replacement phone when my T-Mobile BlackBerry was replaced under warranty back in December. After plugging in the replacement phone to my computer and running the device transfer wizard that's part of BlackBerry's software, my new handset had all of my data and personal settings from the old one.

I've seen a few Samsung non-smart phones that have this capability as well.

Good to hear. I've had exactly the opposite experience with my most recent SonyEricsson and Nokia phones. The SE was the worst -- every time there was an upgrade, you had to start all over again. And upgrading the software took over two hours, even on a snappy machine. And it only worked on XP. And only with SP1, not SP2.

SE phones are full of good ideas that are really poorly implemented.

The phone boasted that it could display PDF's. Well... it couldn't. Not really. Not anything more complex than the four-page bus schedule. It also had tiny versions of Microsoft Word and Excel. I tried writing a Word document on a plane once. By the time I got to page two, I was typing entire sentences ahead of what the phone could handle. By page three the phone locked up. I never bothered to try to manipulate a spreadsheet.

By contrast, the iPhone doesn't claim to be able to edit PDFs, Word, or Excel documents. But it can display them and does so very quickly, smoothly, and easily. The iPhone makes a habit of only delivering on promises, not making promises it can't deliver.

Nokia, too, makes promises it can't deliver. The last two I bought both claimed to be able to do e-mail. They listed "E-mail" right on the side of the box. Here's a word to the wise -- don't believe the box. Read the instruction manual first to see if it's true. In the case of the Nokias, they could RECEIVE e-mail, but only via some convoluted SMS text messaging scheme that your carrier had to support, and no carrier does. Sending e-mail would have been limited to 120 characters via SMS, and again, only if the carrier supported it.

Ditto for my wife's LG that we bought just about a year ago. Promises and promises, but little delivered. At least the user interface was slick, though.

I've never used a Blackberry for longer than three or four minutes. The ones we had at my last job were on Sprint, and pretty much any function I tried to select popped up a screen saying that an extra charge was involved and that I should contact the administrator to enable it.

I will never buy another SonyEricsson or Nokia phone. I'm too spoiled on iPhone. Maybe a fully functional Blackberry is just as good. I'm not able to judge. But it seems like the world is rapidly moving towards an ecosystem of Blackberry, iPhone, and "the other guys." My how things have changed in just a few short years.

Fortunately this is something that's becoming more commonplace now.

My Wii started to fail with a known overheating defect, so I sent it back to Nintendo. They paid for shipping and sent me a new one with all of my saved data copied over.

Archived