Latitude Med Center: Residential Tower And InterContinental Hotel

Jax

I'm really surprised that this is actually happening. I was told that the City of Houston would not issue any further permits on these properties unless the developer paid for the purchase of the Burger King property at the end of Travis, so that the street could be opened up through to Holcombe Blvd.

Guess that was untrue.

I'm really surprised that this is actually happening. I was told that the City of Houston would not issue any further permits on these properties unless the developer paid for the purchase of the Burger King property at the end of Travis, so that the street could be opened up through to Holcombe Blvd.

Guess that was untrue.

That can't be true as the city can't force a developer to buy another property that they don't own nor does the city own.  Also, even if they did put a street in at the Burger King it would be way to close to the Main intersection.  I will say traffic will increase on main as if I remember correctly those neighbourhood streets are almost all blocked at Travis.

Guess that was untrue.

Do you mind my asking where you heard this?  As someone that lives in Southgate (i.e., the west say of Travis), I would be very interested in plans to open it up at Holcombe.  Would the city need to give public notice of any such plans?

Edited by htownproud

Looking at the map and the satellite view, it looks like the burger king is the only thing in the way of Travis going to Holcombe.  I don't know what you would gain with that however, as it would be so close to the Main and Holcombe intersection.  You would probably have to extend the median to block left turns onto Travis or from Travis.  I see why the city would like someone else to open it up with out the city having to buy the BK, but requiring it through permits seems...odd.  

Do you mind my asking where you heard this?  As someone that lives in Southgate (i.e., the west say of Travis), I would be very interested in plans to open it up at Holcombe.  Would the city need to give public notice of such any such plans?

I heard this several years ago from someone high up at TMC when Methodist was planning the Outpatient Center. This person told me that the City of Houston and TMC both "encouraged " Methodist to include opening John Freeman Blvd. through to Main St. as part of their plan for that building. He also told me that any new development on the west side of Main St. between University and Holcombe would be dependent on the opening of Travis Street through to Holcombe. But like I've stated, I guess he was wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it's important, to an extent, for us, the COH, to have unfishined projects in the process of rising when the Superbowl comes to town next year. I think it would look good on the city to see construction cranes on every corner like there is now indicating a robust economy that is struggling to keep up with the population and job growth.

In February 2017, 609 Main should still have cranes over it along with this apartment tower, perhaps the hotel next door, Texas Children's expansion tower, Fertitta's tower on the west loop and God only knows what other projects will be coming out of the ground at that point. What other projects will still be UC at that time?

In February 2017, 609 Main should still have cranes over it along with this apartment tower, perhaps the hotel next door, Texas Children's expansion tower, Fertitta's tower on the west loop and God only knows what other projects will be coming out of the ground at that point. What other projects will still be UC at that time?

Just within relative proximity to NRG you will have:

Texas Children's expansion

Medistar Hotel / Greystar apartments

HCC new building on Pressler

New Residence Inn on Kirby (if it ever breaks ground)

Baylor College of Medicine Expansion

As well as Memorial Hermann and Methodist expansions within TMC - I don't know as much about those and they aren't as visible from outside TMC (just yet).

I'm guessing 7200 Main (or Main Place @ Greenbriar or whatever it is named) won't have anything going on by that time, but I certainly hope so

• Like 1

These guys are going to make a killing on this tower. The demand for housing catering to med school students (and recent grads) in the S Main and TMC area is astronomical. The current housing stock like my neighborhood is too expensive and geared more for physicians and their families. There are tons of nurses and new docs commuting from all over who want to live nearby but can't find anything. I called it on here before and will say it again... the TMC/SW Houston area is going to be the next major economic juggernaut in Houston. Devs have been focused for far too long on Energy Corridor/Woodlands areas and have negelected to build housing and hotels in the TMC (all while TMC was humming along strong and not paying attention to oil).

• Like 4

Don't forget the new Debakey will likely not be complete by then either (and the Memorial expansion is now visable from Herman Park)

Just within relative proximity to NRG you will have:

Texas Children's expansion

Medistar Hotel / Greystar apartments

HCC new building on Pressler

New Residence Inn on Kirby (if it ever breaks ground)

Baylor College of Medicine Expansion

As well as Memorial Hermann and Methodist expansions within TMC - I don't know as much about those and they aren't as visible from outside TMC (just yet).

I'm guessing 7200 Main (or Main Place @ Greenbriar or whatever it is named) won't have anything going on by that time, but I certainly hope so

PR out this morning

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/greystar-and-medistar-announce-plans-for-high-rise-apartment-tower-in-texas-medical-center-300211943.html

"Ascent Med Center" name confirmed, 35 stories, construction by March 31st.  That rooftop terrace is going to have an awesome view

Looking at the elevations again (which are back on the planning commission), they still show 38 floors. I believe the article only counted to the highest residential level

• Like 1