Latitude Med Center: Residential Tower And InterContinental Hotel

Jax

3 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Emporis only has the Latitude at 423 feet.  Methodist Outpatient is 512', O'Quinn Tower is 477', Texas Childrens:  457'   Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza:  430'

I'm surprised, but I believe you. I was thinking 38 floors and figured it would be taller. I should have checked that site before I said it. I do think  it will dramatically alter the skyline, add more density and expand TMC's southwestern growth to the Texas A&M Science tower on Holcombe.  Views from the west and southwest will be much more interesting. 

• Like 4

On 4/22/2017 at 5:47 PM, OkieEric said:

Walked by the site today and noticed the neighboring Best Western signage has been removed / covered up.  Still saw some cars parked in the below ground garage but noticeably fewer cars on surface lot

BjD04Zw.jpg

I wonder if this is going to have a pool deck?

vWqA1Ew.jpg

• Like 6

That makes me recall the post made months ago, mentioning a potential (large) development for the best western lot following the completion of this project. Plus, the conspicuously large blank wall on the north side of this project... makes you think something is going to happen

• Like 5

On May 26, 2016 at 5:43 PM, bobruss said:

Stopped by the site this afternoon and talked to the crew chief. He said that they were excavating the site to 17 feet below ground. 

He also said something that was very interesting. He said that once this project is finished there is talk  that the hotel just north of this site  

will be demolished and a sixty six story tower will take its place. Nice rumor. Images of the excavation will come when Brijonmang downloads for me.

This is what I reported last year at this time. Sounds like the crew chief knew what he was talking about. Now I hope his prediction for a sixty six story tower turns out to be accurate. That would definitely be the tallest and make a huge statement for the med center. Just think a Transco tower

in the med center. Get me oxygen. 

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 9

A 900 footer at the Med center? When I worked there people used to say that the buiilding heights were limited by air traffic to Hobby. Should I just chalk this down to another urban myth? Never understood that reason after flying to and fro San Diego several times.

• Like 2

From the most recent Google review on the Best Western:

in the last week
The staff told me they are no longer a Best Western Hotel.

Review on Trip Advisor:

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Very convenient location. I hope it stays well managed as it is changing from Best Western to another hotel group.

Unfortunately, at least for the immediate future, it sounds like this is just changing Hotel chains. 

• 3 weeks later...

This really spreads the med center skyline when you come from  west Holcombe, South Main or Fannin.

It may not be the tallest but it is going to create a very powerful presence with its two towers out on the SW end of TMC.

The massing is impressive. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 6:18 AM, Twinsanity02 said:

A 900 footer at the Med center? When I worked there people used to say that the buiilding heights were limited by air traffic to Hobby. Should I just chalk this down to another urban myth? Never understood that reason after flying to and fro San Diego several times.

Regardless, I'm not sure why you would want medical towers more than 30 stories, especially in an area that has flooded historically and may require mass evacuation in the future. We're lucky the skyline is as high as it is.

Hotel is a less complicated problem.

13 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Regardless, I'm not sure why you would want medical towers more than 30 stories, especially in an area that has flooded historically and may require mass evacuation in the future. We're lucky the skyline is as high as it is.

Hotel is a less complicated problem.

Then why build an entire medical center (regardless of height), next to a bayou? 

Why establish a city on a gulf?

• Like 6

On 5/29/2017 at 9:44 AM, Montrose1100 said:

Then why build an entire medical center (regardless of height), next to a bayou? 

Why establish a city on a gulf?

Seriously?

Why not take a look at the 100-year flood plain in 1945?  Hell, take a look at it in 2000 and take a look at it now and see how much it's changed.  In any case, it was situated there because Hermann Hospital was there and the Hermann Estate (or part of it) became the TMC.

As for building a city on a gulf, I'm not sure what you're talking about or implying with that sensationalism.

Probably the more productive question is what is the tallest hospital in the world?  I would have to think there are many logistical issues that, absent severe land constraints, makes it preferably to build shorter rather than taller hospitals.

But maybe I'm wrong.

6 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Seriously?

Why not take a look at the 100-year flood plain in 1945?  Hell, take a look at it in 2000 and take a look at it now and see how much it's changed.  In any case, it was situated there because Hermann Hospital was there and the Hermann Estate (or part of it) became the TMC.

As for building a city on a gulf, I'm not sure what you're talking about or implying with that sensationalism.

Probably the more productive question is what is the tallest hospital in the world?  I would have to think there are many logistical issues that, absent severe land constraints, makes it preferably to build shorter rather than taller hospitals.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Well turns out Google IS your friend... and we have the tallest hospital in the world and another 1 within the top 10.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_hospitals

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 6:18 AM, Twinsanity02 said:

This has been addressed elsewhere, but 12R/30L and 12L/30R point almost straight at downtown (the runway designations roughly correspond to rounded off compass headings).  12R is heavily used for landings from the north and takeoffs to the south because of the prevailing onshore flow; 30L (its reverse) could be used for departures into a northerly wind but generally isn't because of all the nearby houses (and we have 4 pointing northeast).  Downtown is right at the edge of the restriction cone; IIRC you could build a supertall on the old post office site without nicking into it.  In contrast, there are no runways that point toward the Med Center from Hobby.

• Like 6

Thanks Mollusk. Next time I visit an old friend at the Med Center I am going to steer the conversation toward high rise buildings and then use the info you just provided. Make me sound more smart and worldly than I actually am. Of course I'll claim credit for the information. You don't mind do you?;)

• Like 2

Hobby is using RNAV approaches now, which allow air traffic to follow curved approaches to 12R & 12L to avoid downtown.  That being said, the FAA can still make a big stink about anything being made along that straight line or the current RNAV trajectory.  I do wonder if it will be an issue for that high rise proposed for the museum district.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, cspwal said:

maybe they've abandoned their plans

Dont you say that! Haha.. admittedly that mixed use development seemed really ambitious, but it seems like the developers behind the project were serious about it, given their submission of the plat, trying to work with the neighborhood association to address any issues, requesting abandonment with the city, and what not.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...