Latitude Med Center: Residential Tower And InterContinental Hotel

Jax

Looking at the elevations again (which are back on the planning commission), they still show 38 floors. I believe the article only counted to the highest residential level

You're right, the elevations look unchanged (near 413' on the apartments).  Same deal with the hotel, which was announced as 21 floors (but elevation shows 22 including the parapet).  I suspect most of us only care about the total height, anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Planning Commission Agenda approved their Variance Request;

Basis of Recommendation:

The site is located within the City limits, on the north side of Old Main Street between Main Street and Travis Street. The applicant is requesting variances to allow proposed balconies, canopies and floors to encroach into the building lines on Travis and Old Main Street and Main Street. Staff's recommendation is to approve the requested variances.

The subject site is proposed to be a hotel and multifamily residential structure. The proposed 25 story hotel will occupy the eastern portion of the tract and the 34-story multi-family residential building will occupy the western portion of the site.

In July of 2015, the site was granted variances allow a 15’ BL on Main Street and to allow encroachments on Old Main, Travis and Main Street. The variances granted were similar in nature to the current request; however the proposed encroachments for the building have been slightly modified. The applicant is currently requesting the following three variances:

1) To allow floors 9-17 and a pedestrian canopy for the proposed hotel to project 5' into the 15’ building line on Main Street.

2) To allow the residential balconies on floors 12-32 and to allow hotel floors 18-22 to project 5 feet into the 10' building line on Old Main Street

3) To allow the residential balconies on floors 12-32 to encroach 5 feet into the 10’ BL on Travis Street

The proposed encroachments will be over 100 feet from the pedestrian realm on all 3 streets and the Vehicular access from Old Main Street has been approved by the Department of Public Works and Engineering. The applicant has additionally provided a pedestrian access easement on all streets in order to provide enhancements such as minimum 6’ unobstructed sidewalks, 3” caliper trees and an outdoor seating area.

Therefore, staff’s recommendation is to grant the variances for the building line encroachments and approve the plat subject to the CPC 101 form conditions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2016 at 3:50 PM, Moonb007 said:

I drove in the Medcenter today and noticed a tent in the parking lot that is closed.  Maybe they will be doing a groundbreaking ceremony in the coming days.

I think you're right, I saw the tent as well and it looked the part.  Now there's just a big pile of dirt there, so they must have done it over the weekend

Website is up for the apartments but not much to see yet:

http://www.ascentmedcenter.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Construction begins today!

Is there an article out on it?  I know that was the schedule they announced last month

I drove by this morning and looked more or less the same - closed off, ongoing utility work, ceremonial pile of dirt in the middle of the lot.  I will check it out on the way home, though

Still wondering when they will announce the hotel brand (and if it's still Intercontinental)

13 minutes ago, OkieEric said:

Is there an article out on it?  I know that was the schedule they announced last month

I drove by this morning and looked more or less the same - closed off, ongoing utility work, ceremonial pile of dirt in the middle of the lot.  I will check it out on the way home, though

Still wondering when they will announce the hotel brand (and if it's still Intercontinental)

Press release from late Jan. mentions March 31st as the start of construction for the apartment tower.

If work doesn't actually begin today I assume there's a small delay and they'll get this one going at any moment.

3 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Press release from late Jan. mentions March 31st as the start of construction for the apartment tower.

If work doesn't actually begin today I assume there's a small delay and they'll get this one going at any moment.

it looked like construction / dirt work had begun last night when I drove by.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LarryDierker said:

Earlier, headed south on main I intended to take the Holcombe mini exit, but that section of  mini feeder was closed with some heavy equipment doing some work on the road in front of this site while the parking lot seemed full of buses.

That's Hoar Construction tunneling under the street. They are trying to reach a Centerpoint manhole on the north bound side in front of Pavilion for Women.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went by yesterday afternoon and saw a crew moving excavators and other heavy equipment around so I believe this is about to break ground, finally.

This building will do the same thing for the med center that the new 40 story high rise in market square has done for downtown.  This will be one of 

the tallest building (38 floors),  in this part of Houston and stretch the boundaries of the Med center.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bobruss said:

Stopped by the site this afternoon and talked to the crew chief. He said that they were excavating the site to 17 feet below ground. 

He also said something that was very interesting. He said that once this project is finished there is talk  that the hotel just north of this site  

will be demolished and a sixty six story tower will take its place. Nice rumor. Images of the excavation will come when Brijonmang downloads for me.

Hmm....apparently Medistar owns the Best Western (6700 Main) as well

3 hours ago, bobruss said:

Stopped by the site this afternoon and talked to the crew chief. He said that they were excavating the site to 17 feet below ground. 

He also said something that was very interesting. He said that once this project is finished there is talk  that the hotel just north of this site  

will be demolished and a sixty six story tower will take its place. Nice rumor. Images of the excavation will come when Brijonmang downloads for me.

It's a skinny site, so maybe we'll get a NYC lipstick tower?

15 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Is 6700 Main the same site they planned to build a 40-story residential tower back in 07/08?

Looks like that was 6600 Main, or at the corner of Main and Dryden

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=146836

Not sure if this link is going to work, but apparently that plot of land (still a parking lot) is owned by St. Luke's:

HCAD Link

• Like 1

Imagine the views from that site.  Just below lies Rice Univ., Hermann Park, TMC and The Museum district then downtown, Greenway Plaza and Uptown, to the south you've got NRG  the 8th wonder of the world and lots of wide open.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...