Latitude Med Center: Residential Tower And InterContinental Hotel

Jax

This is awesome and badly needed in the area. The lack of hotels and (non-chain) eating places near one of the busiest parts of our city always stumps me. Something like this is also needed down near Reliant (rumors are a Holiday Inn is coming at least).

• Like 1

I like it. I hope they include a nice restaurant and upscale bar--they would be great additions for the area.

This hotel is geared towards people in visiting the TMC. I think the design is modest because they're being considerate of the reason people are there. I have doubts that they will try to make too flashy, not that upscale or nice necessarily is, but I don't think they're looking to be trendy. But that's just my hunch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They need a lot of things in this area period. While it looks like a busy downtown area, it always seemed like a commuter destination and that there was nothing immediately around the area to make it a truely functional urban core. Would be nice if more apartments/condos/hotels/ anything for that matter were intermixed in this part of town or at least within walking distance of the TMC. This will also help relieve the demand for parking. Not to mention it's in a great area of town with lots of things to do.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a new sign up on the site with the above rendering and "Coming 2017"

No indication of hotel brand

Here's the sign

15381495502_fb4422ff4f_o.jpgIMG_1318 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Across the street is a green fence.

15195126230_4369a638e4_o.jpgIMG_1319 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Looks like a bank, bummer.

15381786845_b2ce340c87_o.jpgIMG_1320 by Not.Larry.Dierker, on Flickr

Edited by LarryDierker
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...

Hotel/residential tower

Developer: Houston-based TRC Capital Partners and Houston-based Medistar Corp.

Original plan: In April, developers said they would start construction later in the year on an HOK-designed 22-story hotel/residential building next to the Texas Medical Center.

Update: "We've been working on refining the programming and putting together the financing package," TRC president and CEO Steve Lerner said, adding that a start date has not been determined.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Cracks-forming-in-commercial-real-estate-market-6037038.php#/0

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

That's amazing news! I originally thought...wow they really changed the design...oh wait I see the original...wait is this two towers now? ....wait they are building this an a res tower next to it? lol

I still like the first building. The other building has a little to much masonry for me, but it has clean lines and has good massing. I wish they would just combine the parking garage. Maybe that would have lowered the amount of levels of parking overall? I don't know. Overall it's nice that we actually here about a project getting scaled up rather than scaled down.

• Like 1

Just noticed the link shows that this will be an Intercontinental Hotel.  Not bad...  I'm wondering how Southgate residents will take this 32 story tower.  Not really an Ashby situation if you've got property adjacent to the medical center

• Like 1