Latitude Med Center: Residential Tower And InterContinental Hotel

Jax

I noticed a variance request sign up on the fence of the parking lot between the Rice Collaborative Research Center construction and the Hilton Hotel. Does anybody know what it could be?

Edit: There are two addresses affiliated with the Mixed-Use Development in the Texas Medical Center.

Latitude Med Center Apartments is located at 1850 Old Main Street (or 1850 Old Main Street Road.)
InterContinental Houston Hotel is located at 6750 Main Street (or 6750 South Main Street.)

• Like 1

swamplot always goes for the easy line and the smartass tone, which serves them right because the easy line so often undermines their pretense: For instance:

a 40-storey hotel and condo tower is neither going to be taller than a 31-storey office building nor a 27-storey hospital, because interfloor heights are more than a third lower for residential and especially hotel space.

• Like 1

swamplot always goes for the easy line and the smartass tone, which serves them right because the easy line so often undermines their pretense: For instance:

a 40-storey hotel and condo tower is neither going to be taller than a 31-storey office building nor a 27-storey hospital, because interfloor heights are more than a third lower for residential and especially hotel space.

regardless, it's still something besides a hospital. Which is something we haven't really seen.

• Like 1

That rocks. I've always said that there needs to be more residential in the medical center (and in the medical center I don't mean next to the Astrodome). I could see a lot of doctors and professors living there, walking to work every day, and loving it.

• Like 1

That rocks. I've always said that there needs to be more residential in the medical center (and in the medical center I don't mean next to the Astrodome). I could see a lot of doctors and professors living there, walking to work every day, and loving it.

A lot of people have been waiting for this wrinkle in the Med Center's development, and if this were 18 months ago I'd imagine it would fill up quickly and inspire either an expansion or additional projects. Now? Though medical practice isn't going anywhere, money's getting tighter and people know it's only going to get tighter; a significant part of the money floating around in America was based in prospective value that didn't exist because the supposed riskiness (according to the MIT grads going to NY investment banks) of the speculative future revenues was in fact unrealistically low. In other words, that money wasn't any surer a thing than all the internet startups' future riches; it's just that "risk management" firms made things so complicated that no-one but them could understand much of the market... and their understanding, for its part, was incented - during these financial industry boom years, those volumes looked so good, and so expected, in the annual balance sheet - to be overly optimistic about the securities being bundled. I.e., they were wrong. Hopefully the developer, Medistar, already has their financing in place at reasonable rates. Anybody have an idea of it?

Edited by strickn
  • Like 1

40 story hotel/condo at tmc and nobody cares? Yall must be really busy today.

Jax needs to rename the thread to something a little more eye-catching than just to point out a variance sign. I passed the thread over for a day on account of that I didn't figure it to be anything important and also because CRC didn't exactly pop into my head as "Collaborative Research Center." I figured this might be related to the student housing project or something else.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 1

http://swamplot.com/live-on-tv-new-med-cen...wer/2008-02-29/

I couldn't resist any longer. I feel that every new tower going up in Houston deserves it's own thread with a descriptive name, especially 40-story ones. If I've broken any rules for creating a double thread for this project, I'm sorry. Please feel free to merge this with the "Variance Request" thread. But PLEASE keep MY topic title. :) No offense, JAX, I love your photos and comments. But this tower deserves more attention at Haif and a catchier thread name is all it needs.

Anal is a nice word for what I am. :)

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 1

I saw it, like 15 minutes ago. I didn't catch it until today because of the thread title. So, I just wanted this cool tower to have a more eye popping title. That's why I gave an apology on my first post and called myself 'anal'. :)

I figure the mods will delete this thread or merge it with the 'variance request' thread, but will hopefully keep this thread's title so that more people will know about this tower at HAIF. I meant well.

-Anyway, cool project, yes?

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 1

I learned that the City of Houston is proposing to move the street barricades on Southhampton at Travis to the west side of Travis and making the other two streets entering the neighborhood from Travis one way exits.

• Like 1

I'm rotating at MD Anderson right now, and after being there for a bit I am amazed there aren't more hotels near the medical center. About half the patients we see are from out of state or out of country and some wind up staying in Houston for >1 month for treatment... also, these patients tend to be affluent, so it seems like a really fancy hotel would have no problems making money.

This came up the other day as there is a serious shortage right now because of rodeo season.

• Like 1

I never worked with them directly, I do hear constantly about how enormously grateful they are to MDA for their help in a variety of areas.

While I never heard them complain about the costs of the hotels, I have heard complaints about availability and the lack of transportation.

Interestingly enough, they have a significant amount of culture shock they have compared the other cities they are from.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There will be a 12 story parking garage with greenspace on top. 70 apartments will be furnished.

This is my first new topic, so I hope I did it right and didn't create a duplicate. Swamplot is currently running an article.

• Like 1