Wildcat Golf Club At 12000 Almeda Rd.

Golf club bounded by Buffalo Speedway, Holmes Road, and Almeda Road.

Next to University of Texas' 307-acres and the proposed TMC BioPort manufacturing campus.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/dhicks2000/Wildcat001.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/dhicks2000/Wildcat002.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Wildcat Golf Club on Almeda/Holmes
  • 2 weeks later...

We turned a closed landfill into a functioning golf course by excavating new and existing borrow pits and then placing the earthen material over the landfill to create an unique recreational experience, leveraging our special expertise to safely complete this golf course overlooking Reliant Stadium and downtown Houston.

http://www.lexinc.com/work/pierce-junction-encap-golf-course-reconstruction-wildcat-golf-club/

Zv67ngj.jpg

• Like 2

This is formally the Rio Bravo Oil Company's Oil Field.

Our News: History of Pierce Junction Oil Field Community

http://almedaournews.blogspot.com/2011/02/history-of-pierce-junction-oil-field.html

Why all the reminiscing? A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to tour PJ and part of Almeda with my sister. The portion of PJ where we lived in the Rio Bravo Oil Company camp is likely under twenty of sanitary land fill and the Wildcatter Golf Course. This camp had three homes, a group of bachelor rooms and a mess hall.

• Like 1

Stopped by today. Their logo is a cat scratch. Kind of dual meanings given it's location at Pierce Junction.

In the world of oil and gas exploration, a wildcat well is an exploratory oil well that is drilled in land not known to be an oil field – it is the well where wildcat drillers explore.

rTOJMMX.jpg

dc09Sk7.jpg

aPrkp8j.jpg

lRfP9Ai.jpg

NBWtUfB.jpg

9LwOOOI.jpg

5TpUKyt.jpg

ukX1YJi.jpg

Looking over at the brine ponds next door at the cavern storage.

7YngjIf.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Wildcat Golf Club At 12000 Almeda Rd.

There has been current discussion about Wildcat Golf Club's land that's located across from the proposed TMC BioPort and UT's 307-acres.

I wanted to continue the discussion. I called and spoke to one of the owners last year.  Wildcat has no intention of selling their property. The owner said they would invite future TMC BioPort tenants for a game of golf. Jokingly, they would build an entrance gate to welcome BioPort tenants.

I believe, Wildcat is selling 53-acres of unused, extra land a long Almeda Road/West Airport Blvd. Driving a long this section of W. Airport is like driving in the country! Surrounded by trees.  The whole area of Pierce Junction is crazy!!

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/W-Airport-Boulevard-Rd-Houston-TX/26947830/

bc6rGTz.png

This map from TIRZ 24 highlighting the vacant Buffalo Speedway/Holmes road land. Just imagine if WGC sold their golf course and someone bought everything, all at once. 1,145+ acres!!

For decades, people have been collecting parcels and trying to develop this land. It never works out.  I can see TMC BioPort going through, but UT's land might be a long-term investment. I could also see someone buying UT's land before they have a chance to develop it. I'm being overly optimistic, but I'd hope TMC buys UT's land to expand the 500-acre campus.  And then, in 30 years, TMC could buy WGC for $100 million.  In other words, for TMC to control everything in the below image.  Would be amazing!!!

GF4pbWr.png

• 4 months later...

Just read that the Wildcat Golf Club is a total of 80-acres in size.  From what I gather, WGC is actually a popular course in central Houston.

The hundreds of acres surrounding the golf course is what I'm actually interested in. Why can't a corporation come in, with hundreds of millions, and buy the land for a campus? Why is the old pierce junction oil field so tainted? Is it because the (now closed) Holmes Road Dump never really went away? The area, 30 years later, is still a trash dump.

Hate to speak ill of famed and valuable land, but it's true. 

Relevant.  The illegal dumping is even hitting Texas Medical Center garages! I noticed this no dumping sign today.

RbEZ1VQ.jpg

10 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Just read that the Wildcat Golf Club is a total of 80-acres in size.  From what I gather, WGC is actually a popular course in central Houston.

The hundreds of acres surrounding the golf course is what I'm actually interested in. Why can't a corporation come in, with hundreds of millions, and buy the land for a campus? Why is the old pierce junction oil field so tainted? Is it because the (now closed) Holmes Road Dump never really went away? The area, 30 years later, is still a trash dump.

Hate to speak ill of famed and valuable land, but it's true. 

Relevant.  The illegal dumping is even hitting Texas Medical Center garages! I noticed this no dumping sign today.

The area just to the East of WGC is being used for disposal wells and such, and will likely remain there for some time. The area to teh West might be good for a corporate campus, but isn't that already planned for the Bioport? 

The golf course was built on top of a closed landfill, which may have some effect on future use of the area.

• Thanks 1