Smooth Jazz 95.7 The Wave R.I.P.

JFive

KHJZ Houston ended it's Smooth Jazz format today at 5:30 PM in order to prepare for the launch of Top 40/CHR station "Hot 95.7" tomorrow at 3 PM. KHJZ was Houston's third attempt at Smooth Jazz, the first on a city grade signal. "Hot 95.7" is set to compete with legendary 104 KRBE, which has been leaning in an adult direction since 2006.

http://www.khjz.com/

http://radioinsight.com/boards/index.php?t...83f4fce14a31a8b

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,94785.0.html

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's too bad. While I don't listen to smooth jazz as a genre anymore, it's disappointing to lose a little formatic diversity on the airwaves.

What really killed me was when K-Arts went away. That was one of the best programmed classical stations ever.

Well, the music they are playing right now is about a 25 minute continuous looped mix of hip hop/ techno dance. I am wondering HOW people who listen to KRBE or The Box are gonna know that this station is changing format if they don't listen to smooth jazz ? I guess channel flippers will hear it eventually. If the new 95.7 plays what they are playing now as a format I will most likely tune in.

I am wondering HOW people who listen to KRBE or The Box are gonna know that this station is changing format if they don't listen to smooth jazz ?

Billboards. Live remotes. Sponsorships. Hummers covered with stickers. Maybe even a TV ad if they're feeling ambitious.

That's too bad. While I don't listen to smooth jazz as a genre anymore, it's disappointing to lose a little formatic diversity on the airwaves.

I gave up on Houston radio diversity about 4 years ago. Satellite radio is the shiznizzle.

Not to mention that local radio is free.

We need to *grow up* with the "Free" crap...20 mins of music and non stop talk about Lindsy Lohan. That's just Mix 96.5 and "Hi there it's your radio, I hear you're buying a new car<insert brainwash HD radio crap>

We listened to this jazz station at work, i hated it thank god it's gone!

Is there not a smooth Jazz station on HD radio anymore?

Chron.com article just answered my question:

"Morris said the smooth-jazz format will return later this spring when KHJZ launches its HD Radio signal at 95.7-2 FM. She said Hot 95.7 launched without air personalities but hopes to fill the positions as soon as possible. Seven on-air personalities left the air with the Wave's demise."

You know, this really sucks........................how many more POP radio stations do we need in Houston anyway, I've been a loyal listener for Smooth Jazz in several markets in the US, & while smooth jazz is taking off with enormous popularity, CBS decides to change the format all of the sudden................this is what some people said might happen if Broadcasters capture too many markets & radio stations, that the consumer is left out & the big companies are only worried about their profits & advertising dollars. Smooth Jazz or jazz for that matter is dead in Houston, this was the only radio station I listened to on the FM radio. I'm extremely disappointed with CBS. I really hope more people/listeners complain about this abrupt switch.

I tuned in to the stunting mix for about 15 minutes in my car, then I listened at 3:00 for the change. Both really reinforced my decision to get XM several years ago. This "new" format of theirs sucks worse that the Yanni mix they used to play. I didn't think that was possible.

I call this one more nail in the coffin of terrestrial radio in Houston.

95.7 sucked anyway. Good riddance. Maybe they should try playing some REAL jazz next time.

I say bring back Maria Todd for this station. :)

She's more than happy with a successful morning show in the SF Bay Area. It's pretty good too, I listen online often. Here is the link ==> Movin' 99.7

We need to *grow up* with the "Free" crap...20 mins of music and non stop talk about Lindsy Lohan. That's just Mix 96.5 and "Hi there it's your radio, I hear you're buying a new car<insert brainwash HD radio crap>

We listened to this jazz station at work, i hated it thank god it's gone!

I'm happy with a new "free" alternative to 104.1 and Mix.

Not to mention that local radio is free.

You get what you pay for.

Yeah, but local radio in Houston blows. We don't even have full time NPR. You have to have HD radio to get it full time.

Or satellite.

Hate to see it go. People are always talking about Satellite radio, but I just can't buy into it. You don't get the local feel when you listen to satellite radio.

I totally agree that the strongest point of local radio is it's local feel. Having local DJs is the difference between radio and a jukebox. But then you have to think -- how many of "Houston's" commercial radio stations actually have DJs playing tunes in Houston? I'd guess maybe five or six. The rest of voice tracked, satellite programmed, or run by remote control from other cities and people in Houston don't even know about it.

I know there are some people currently in the Houston radio industry on HAIF. Perhaps one of them could shed some light on just which stations are actually local, and which ones are simulations.

Chron.com article just answered my question:

"Morris said the smooth-jazz format will return later this spring when KHJZ launches its HD Radio signal at 95.7-2 FM. She said Hot 95.7 launched without air personalities but hopes to fill the positions as soon as possible. Seven on-air personalities left the air with the Wave's demise."

And they'll never come back. HD-2 and HD-3 stations aren't real radio -- they're automated jukeboxes. You might as well listen to an iPod. There isn't one station in America running a full staff of jocks on their secondary or tertiary signals. In fact, it was only last month that WHTZ-HD-2 in Newark, New Jersey (New York market) sold the very first commercial on an HD-2 station in America (to Verizon). It was a big deal in the trades.

If only one station is running only one ad, how many DJs do you think that pays for? I'm guessing zero. And we're back to the iPod again.

HD radio won't be a success until the radio companies take the secondary channels seriously. But since most don't even take the primary channels seriously, I have little hope.

She's more than happy with a successful morning show in the SF Bay Area. It's pretty good too, I listen online often. Here is the link ==> Movin' 99.7

I'm happy with a new "free" alternative to 104.1 and Mix.

So am i, They played the real version of Cascada what hurts the most. They won me over!(i have XM in car)

And they'll never come back. HD-2 and HD-3 stations aren't real radio -- they're automated jukeboxes. You might as well listen to an iPod. There isn't one station in America running a full staff of jocks on their secondary or tertiary signals. In fact, it was only last month that WHTZ-HD-2 in Newark, New Jersey (New York market) sold the very first commercial on an HD-2 station in America (to Verizon). It was a big deal in the trades.

If only one station is running only one ad, how many DJs do you think that pays for? I'm guessing zero. And we're back to the iPod again.

HD radio won't be a success until the radio companies take the secondary channels seriously. But since most don't even take the primary channels seriously, I have little hope.

Absolutely. HD Radio is the AM Stereo of this era. Remember how well AM Stereo went over? Didn't think so.

You know, this really sucks........................how many more POP radio stations do we need in Houston anyway,

How many pop stations do you think Houston has? Hot and KRBE make two. Mix and Sunny are considered adult contemporary. Are you counting Jack FM and the Point as 'pop'?

95.7 sucked anyway. Good riddance. Maybe they should try playing some REAL jazz next time.

I couldn't agree more. Smooth Jazz isn't Jazz. It's background new age elevator music. But...different strokes for different folks...

Oh well. When I used to work in Houston we used to keep The Wave on in the background sometimes in the office. Never really minded it, and sorry to see it go just because it means a little less diversity in the Houston radio market.

But I'm a very loyal XM subscriber, so it's not like I've listened to Houston radio much in the last 2.5 years anyway. At home I have the clock radio set to come on NPR in the mornings, because I listen to their news while getting up and ready. In the car I occasionally switch to NPR, but mostly I'm on XM. Yes I have to pay a little money every year for that privilege. But what I get in return is SO much better than what's coming over the free airwaves in Houston.

Archived