My Personal Postal Hell

editor

How many times can a package travel across the country?

So far, the one I sent on February 13th has traveled between Chicago and New York seven times... and counting.

Go ahead and track it for yourself.

Enter tracking number 0703 8555 7490 3334 9870

When the next screen comes up click "Additional details" to see how many trips it's taken.

This is a box of stuff that my wife sold on eBay. Thank God the buyer paid extra for insurance. I've filed an insurance claim (you can do that if something hasn't been delivered in 21 days). I wonder if the package will ever get to its destination or if it will keep flying between MDW and LGA until the end of time.

I called the 800 number for the Postal Service and learned three things:

1. You cannot get a refund on Priority Mail shipping. Only Express Mail is guaranteed and can be refunded.
  2. The people at the 800 number look at the same web site as you and me and don't know anything more than you can see at home.
  3. They will hang up on you if you ask to speak to a supervisor.

In case the details page becomes unavailable for some reason, here's the status after 28 days in transit:

Processed, March 06, 2008, 3:24 am, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

Processed, March 04, 2008, 4:32 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed, March 02, 2008, 9:00 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed, March 01, 2008, 11:52 pm, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

Processed, February 29, 2008, 11:02 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed, February 28, 2008, 11:57 pm, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

Processed, February 27, 2008, 7:46 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed, February 26, 2008, 7:03 pm, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

Processed, February 22, 2008, 6:49 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Missent, February 16, 2008, 1:12 pm

Processed, February 13, 2008, 8:50 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Acceptance, February 13, 2008, 9:29 am, CHICAGO, IL 60611

Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 13, 2008

I recently had a package go missing for 6 weeks. I filled out a USPS lost/stolen report online, expecting it to disappear into the cyber-circular file. Well a couple of days later, the package mysteriously showed up. No explanation for where it had been...

How many times can a package travel across the country?

So far, the one I sent on February 13th has traveled between Chicago and New York seven times... and counting.

Go ahead and track it for yourself.

Enter tracking number 0703 8555 7490 3334 9870

When the next screen comes up click "Additional details" to see how many trips it's taken.

This is a box of stuff that my wife sold on eBay. Thank God the buyer paid extra for insurance. I've filed an insurance claim (you can do that if something hasn't been delivered in 21 days). I wonder if the package will ever get to its destination or if it will keep flying between MDW and LGA until the end of time.

I called the 800 number for the Postal Service and learned three things:

1. You cannot get a refund on Priority Mail shipping. Only Express Mail is guaranteed and can be refunded.
  2. The people at the 800 number look at the same web site as you and me and don't know anything more than you can see at home.
  3. They will hang up on you if you ask to speak to a supervisor.

In case the details page becomes unavailable for some reason, here's the status after 28 days in transit:

I was told that my only hope is to talk to a delivery supervisor at the post office that keeps bouncing it back. For some reason on the sender can do it, so that means I'd have to fly to New York. If I was flying to New York I wouldn't have mailed it in the first place.

I was told that my only hope is to talk to a delivery supervisor at the post office that keeps bouncing it back. For some reason on the sender can do it, so that means I'd have to fly to New York. If I was flying to New York I wouldn't have mailed it in the first place.

Can you not call? It's possible there's a reasonable person in charge there. Unlikely, but possible.

Can you not call? It's possible there's a reasonable person in charge there. Unlikely, but possible.

There are no local phone numbers for post offices anymore. Everything goes through the 800 number. Even when you call the local number it still routes you to the 800 number call center.

There are no local phone numbers for post offices anymore. Everything goes through the 800 number. Even when you call the local number it still routes you to the 800 number call center.

Odd but true. It is all part of their campaign to provide as little service as possible. Once I asked to borrow the scotch tape to re-seal an envelope, and the woman said that lending me the tape would be against postal regulations.

On the receiving end of packages like this, I give one phone call to the shipper to let them know I didnt get it and they should file a claim.

I then call my credit card company and dispute the charge.

The charge dissappears immediately off of my card, and the merchant being faced with a chargeback is much more inclined to make sure they get the package or a refund to you immediately.

Remember, its the sender who has a 'contract' (and I use that term loosely) with the shipping company. It is their job to get the package to you, not the other way around.

On the receiving end of packages like this, I give one phone call to the shipper to let them know I didnt get it and they should file a claim.

I then call my credit card company and dispute the charge.

The charge dissappears immediately off of my card, and the merchant being faced with a chargeback is much more inclined to make sure they get the package or a refund to you immediately.

Remember, its the sender who has a 'contract' (and I use that term loosely) with the shipping company. It is their job to get the package to you, not the other way around.

I'm the sender.

Nice living in a small town, I can pick up the phone and call the local PO and speak directly to the Postmaster here. However once it leaves this area you are in trouble. I feel for you Wayne however I got three words for you:

BIG BROWN TRUCK

USPS accountability and package tracking system is the worst I have ever seen in life, I quit using them for that very reason.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice living in a small town, I can pick up the phone and call the local PO and speak directly to the Postmaster here.

Maybe you used to. I'd like you to try it today and let me know if you get through. I've tried calling post offices in small towns about other matters and the local numbers bounce you to the national line now.

I got three words for you:

BIG BROWN TRUCK

USPS accountability and package tracking system is the worst I have ever seen in life, I quit using them for that very reason.

Actually, I've switched to FedEx. Their new Ground rates are pretty good. There's a FedEx office in the basement of my building that's open until 9pm. I dropped three packages there today.

Here's the latest on the Postal Service's failure:

Processed, March 21, 2008, 10:54 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed, March 20, 2008, 1:00 am, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

Processed, March 18, 2008, 12:00 am, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Insufficient Address, March 15, 2008, 12:10 pm, WEST ISLIP, NY

Processed, March 06, 2008, 3:24 am, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

Processed, March 04, 2008, 4:32 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed, March 02, 2008, 9:00 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed, March 01, 2008, 11:52 pm, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

Processed, February 29, 2008, 11:02 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed, February 28, 2008, 11:57 pm, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

Processed, February 27, 2008, 7:46 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Processed, February 26, 2008, 7:03 pm, BETHPAGE, NY 11714

Processed, February 22, 2008, 6:49 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Missent, February 16, 2008, 1:12 pm

Processed, February 13, 2008, 8:50 pm, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Acceptance, February 13, 2008, 9:29 am, CHICAGO, IL 60611

Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 13, 2008

Maybe you used to. I'd like you to try it today and let me know if you get through. I've tried calling post offices in small towns about other matters and the local numbers bounce you to the national line now.

Just got off the phone with her. She says anytime you have an issue with Montgomery Texas Postal Service just call 936-597-8099 and ask for the Postmaster Lynn Keenan, she's real nice and always helpful and usually there always 5 days a week 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Lke I said, I love living out here, everybody knows everybody and they still wave and say "How's y'all are?"

I feel your pain Wayne. I'd would say I bet you're about to pull your hair all out, but you evidently been there done that. ;):lol: :lol:

Archived