The Other Gulf Islands

Thought I'd throw this into the mix as there has been accelerated developement on the coast (not necessarily on the barrier islands) between Rockport and Surfside.

A lot of people in the Metro Houston area will be buying there because of the proximity and other reasons.

Feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread.

Thought I'd throw this into the mix as there has been accelerated developement on the coast (not necessarily on the barrier islands) between Rockport and Surfside.

A lot of people in the Metro Houston area will be buying there because of the proximity and other reasons.

Feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread.

what are the reasons for buying on these islands instead of Galveston?

A couple of these islands can't be built on. Matagorda is State-owned. San Jose is privately-owned (and the owner isn't very nice). Everything from the township of Matagorda down to Aransas Pass is essentially off-limits to development.

The motivation for buying on Bolivar, Follett's, Mustang Island, or N/S Padre Island, would be that the price is lower and there are fewer people. Personally, for instance, I like Galveston, but I really just like to visit Galveston. When it comes to my own real estate, remoteness and isolation is a sort of fetish of mine.

In the many cases, the beaches are cleaner/better sand and the water more green than brown the further south you go...

In the many cases, the beaches are cleaner/better sand and the water more green than brown the further south you go...

The water gets more blue than green/brown the further south.

• 1 month later...

I lived in Matagorda (and later the big city of Bay City) as a kid and would not wish that upon anyone. When we moved to Houston the fam bought a house at Matagorda beach and later lost it when they decided to no longer lease the land :(

I lived in Matagorda (and later the big city of Bay City) as a kid and would not wish that upon anyone. When we moved to Houston the fam bought a house at Matagorda beach and later lost it when they decided to no longer lease the land :(

What was it like growing up out there? Matagorda, specifically.

What was it like growing up out there? Matagorda, specifically.

Well first the good part -> you could ride your bike anywhere without getting ran over ^_^ everyone knew everyone, which is mostly bad if you are a kid. I spent alot of time crabbing (well in reality just trying to catch them to play with)

The other bits: Lotsa mosquitoes..... no real grocery stores so you had to drive into Bay City for any shopping. We did not have cable but an antenna so TV (even with a signal booster) was always a crap shoot. I remember the big treat was going into Lake Jackson to go shopping, and it was a HUGE deal to go to Houston for the day.

Any thoughts about Quintana island? It's the only Gulf island I've been to other than Galveston. Seemed like a really great place for someone looking for the quiet life. But that was back when it still had the swing bridge.

Any thoughts about Quintana island? It's the only Gulf island I've been to other than Galveston. Seemed like a really great place for someone looking for the quiet life. But that was back when it still had the swing bridge.

I don't know why the state or Brazoria County wasted money building this bridge for so few residents.

I don't know why the state or Brazoria County wasted money building this bridge for so few residents.

I know there's a lot of energy on the island (I saw what looked like a small tank farm). Maybe it's to support or expand that in some manner.

In the 60s we would all head to Quintana because it was so isolated, with nice white beaches . But that's just how teenagers roll. But, in the last 30 years the beaches have eroded until they are mostly mud and the same is true for the Caney Creek area. This may or may not be due to rerouting the mouth of the Brazos, I'll leave that up to the engineers on this blog to decide, my experience is only anecdotal. I feel for the people who own houses there, but it is not an attractive beach to visit.

Now, they are building a LNG terminal, and quite frankly I don't want to be anywhere near that.

I recently read that Surfside is losing +/- 10 feet of beach per year. Galveston's losses aren't quite as high but they lose several feet a year as well.

If I remember correctly, Galveston Island has been shrinking (area-wise) for about 1,000 years now. It's not man-made erosion, just natural.

After the mouth of the Brazos was relocated, the old delta disappeared in about 40 years, and the new Brazos River delta is one of the only parts of the Texas coast that is growing, not shrinking. It's added hundred of feet of new wetlands.

No way in hell I'd buy on the beach at Galveston Island or Follett's Island.

I recently read that Surfside is losing +/- 10 feet of beach per year. Galveston's losses aren't quite as high but they lose several feet a year as well.

If I remember correctly, Galveston Island has been shrinking (area-wise) for about 1,000 years now. It's not man-made erosion, just natural.

After the mouth of the Brazos was relocated, the old delta disappeared in about 40 years, and the new Brazos River delta is one of the only parts of the Texas coast that is growing, not shrinking. It's added hundred of feet of new wetlands.

No way in hell I'd buy on the beach at Galveston Island or Follett's Island.

Galveston's west beach is shrinking by several feet per year, but the east beach is actually growing meaningfully. Probably has to do with the effect of the dike.

The Brazos realy is critical in delivering sediment to the Gulf that can wash up as new sand. Rivers like the San Bernard and Rio Grande are intermittantly clogged by sand at their mouths, and the Colorado is diverted to drain into a part of Matagorda Bay rather than into the Gulf. There is a canal between the Intercoastal Waterway at Matagorda and the Gulf at Sargent that delivers a little bit of sand, but an amount that pales in comparison with the Brazos.

Galveston's west beach is shrinking by several feet per year, but the east beach is actually growing meaningfully. Probably has to do with the effect of the dike.

You are absolutely correct. Forgot about East Beach's growth. Also just north of Bolivar Roads, Bolivar is growing too, I believe. The jetties trap sand that used to be carried along the coast to replenish Galveston's beaches.

Archived