Southwest Airlines

editor

Southwest is getting sued because it and the FAA couldn't come to terms on what the fine should be for its subcontractor's inadequate work (that injured or even frightened nobody).  It actually has an exemplary safety record - even though this is a false equivalence, it's had a grand total of one fatality during the entire time it's been flying; United can't match that even discarding 9/11 (uncontained engine failures will do that).  Other carriers, including United, have also gotten millions of dollars worth of FAA fines over the years dealing with maintenance issues, among others.  

I thought the same, that it was US Airways.

Anyways, Southwest has always worked very well with Boeing on maintaining their fleet. You can search around and find items like this for all the american carriers, and you'll also find much worse things over the years.

The fact that Southwest has a proven track record, through the period where they were a true low cost carrier, is good enough for me.

Here's a link to an article on the matter:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/04/southwest-probe-idUSL4N0SU4UT20141104

I think he's a teenager who probably goes on a lot of trips with his parent/s. He almost reminds me of me when I was 13 claiming I was an adult and owned my father's townhouse on Blossom (I hate you Dalparadise).

That or he's a flight attendant. If he was some high and mighty elitist D-bag, he would at the very least be able to conjure up a grammatically correct & legible insult. Which leads me to believe he is a teenager who loves to fly and daddy and maybe mommy take on their business trips.

Or maybe he is so rich he has his secretary write everything for him and therefore has not learned on his own how to type. If that's the case you do not insult people who are not as privileged as you. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Careful Weatherman. Kitty's got claws.

That's right.  Besides, everyone KNOWS that Southwest can't be a REAL airline because they don't offer first class service on 787s to Melbourne (Florida OR Australia).

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Not really United has 3 flights for IAH, 2 from LAX, 2 from EWR, 2 from ORD, 2 from SFO, 1 from DEN, 1 From IAD.  When you get there watch out for the vendors! They will never leave your alone!  Stay on the pacific side because on the Gulf of California you cannot swim there.  Due to the rip tide and it is expensive there.  I like Puerto Vallarta much better. Don't be surprised when you pay over $100 in taxes.  Southwest just wants a piece of the pie.  I wish they had first class United was nice for a 3 hour flight.

The best option to MEX is AeroMexico. 

Just flew Interjet down to Monterrey a few weeks ago for the WTA event. MUCH better than United's barbie jets plus I got to experience a new Russian jet to boot which was fun for a plane nerd like myself.

• Like 1

Good for you economy in the back.  I get upgrades all the time.  You don't know what a 1K members is?  You don't really fly.  Just making post!  United just received another 787-900 I wonder were at will fly. Please fly AeroMexico I don't care! 

Yes. You caught me. I've never even been on a plane. Keep drinking the kool aid, which, according to your posts, is clearly spiked.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to DOT Grants Southwest Rights To Mexico City And San Jose Del Cabo
  • 3 months later...

I was one the the many thousands stranded by Southwest this week. I was lucky, after being told on Monday that they wouldn’t be able to get me home until Thursday (and now it appears that was a grossly optimistic promise on their part), I was able to find my family a hotel room Monday night (unlike many who have been sleeping on airport floors) and a rental car to drive us the 15 hours home to Houston the next day. 

While the other airlines were able to keep their cancellation percentages in the low teens, Southwest was canceling north of 70% of its flights. It became clear it wasn’t the weather, or people calling in sick,  but Southwest’s woefully outdated systems crashing. And despite Southwest’s insistence that it was doing everything it could to get passengers home, Southwest pilots were sharing pictures of their ARCAS messages telling them the fleet would be parked for the next few days to “regroup.”  It’s interesting, because this May I raised questions here about how airlines were handling their schedules, and I particularly called out Southwest, saying there was something else going on that wasn’t being shared with passengers, excuses for rescheduling that just weren’t adding up, and I was attacked for daring question the airlines’ competence/good faith. 

But now that Southwest’s long-term neglect of its systems has led to this unprecedented meltdown, I wonder how the airline could possibly recover? I certainly never plan to fly them again, and I have heard many people on the news say the same thing. How long before Southwest goes the way of Eastern, Braniff, National? Will they even make it to 2024?

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 1

My brother from Santa Cruz, Ca. left on Southwest from San Jose on Dec. 21, flew to Austin and drove to Hunt, Tx to visit our mother for Christmas. He was scheduled to leave on the 27th but as of now is scheduled to leave on Mon Jan. 2, maybe. I warned him there was a bad winter storm heading to Texas but he didn't seem to believe it would be so bad. He may end up renting a car or taking the bus home if he can't get on the flight on Monday. It may be the last time he flies Southwest.

My guess is that SWA will have to finally invest the money to update their internal systems. Unfortunately, those sorts of projects usually take 24 months or more to be fully implemented. In 2022, the concept that you can only engage a system by telephone is ludicrous. SWA staff ought to be able to get their schedules by web, text message, email, etc.

The entire debacle is due to management incompetence and failure to invest properly. I hope there are some severe consequences for those responsible.

• Like 1

I have no doubt that the airline will survive.  It is just the best travel option for too many people.  But, there reputation with the public and as much so, with their employees is now very damaged.  Now, even, management realizes it.  Southwest still is a unique product in the industry and (most) people & businesses will continue to purchase the fare and schedule that makes the best financial sense to them, at the time.  Much of the flying public will always search and pay for the lowest fares they can find, regardless of the service that get.  Aside from the Managerial breakdown, SWA is still staffed by a lot of great people that bring a lot of great energy to the Product.  Hopefully, management invests in them so that they can remake the airline what it once was.   

• Like 2