Do You Wash Your Hands After Doin Your Business?

lockmat

Clean or Nasty?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wash your hands after using the restroom?

• yes
    • no
    • most of the time
    • not usually
    • depends
    • I act like I'm washing them by running water over my hands w/o soap
    • I didn't get them dirty, so why do I need to wash them?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys could carry purses, and that way you'd always have a little pack of antibacterial wipes and other useful things handy.

Or just always have a couple of kleenexes in your pocket.

What a thread. Like a secret glimpse at random guys' bathroom habits.

'sufficiently'. Ha! Which sort of begs the question, is a kleenex in the pocket more or less OCD than flushing with feet, or the no hands technique?

Foot flushing is a convenient act of germophobia. Remembering to pack tissue paper when leaving home each morning requires a willingness to reorder your life (even slightly), and therefore, it is a more severe form of OCD.

That's my big neuroticism, is when a bathroom door is configured to swing inward so that you have to make contact and pull on a handle that you just know is covered in filth. That, and when facets require too much torque to turn off.

At times like that, I always end up asking myself, "What's the point?"

Yeah, I am the same way. The solution to this poor configuration is to use a paper towel to turn the faucet off, and open the door. It irks me greatly when there are no paper towels in bathrooms, or the garbage bin is too far from the door.

You guys could carry purses, and that way you'd always have a little pack of antibacterial wipes and other useful things handy.

Or just always have a couple of kleenexes in your pocket.

What a thread. Like a secret glimpse at random guys' bathroom habits.

I thought that carrying manbags was proven disastrous for men when Joey couldn't get the job at the audition.

If you carry a purse you have to wonder what to do with it while using a public restroom. I was in a situation a few weeks ago where I just couldn't win. I didn't want to sit it on the floor, but on the door, near the hook, there was a little brown something smeared. Made me furious.

If you carry a purse you have to wonder what to do with it while using a public restroom. I was in a situation a few weeks ago where I just couldn't win. I didn't want to sit it on the floor, but on the door, near the hook, there was a little brown something smeared. Made me furious.

Okay, first off I would have found another bathroom!

I love quotes like this. Urine is 95% water, and is sterile, virus free, and bacteria free when it leaves the body. Urea, a component of urine, is commonly found in skin care products. It is very likely that the urine you are disgusted by is cleaner than the soap, water and towel you use to rid your hands of it.

This assumes that you're in absolutely perfect health all of the time. There are all sorts of infections and other things that happen in the body that lead to contamination of urine. Many times people can have a low-grade urinary tract infection and not even know it because the body takes care of it before it's a problem. One of the ways it does that is by flushing the bacteria out with the urine.

That said, you're really not supposed to pee on your hands.

Part of the reason we wash our hands is because of the bacteria and germs we pick up during the manual process of relieving ourselves. No matter what gear you have, it's still folds of human skin in a warm, moist, confined area -- perfect for the reproduction of all sorts of critters. You wouldn't put your hands in your armpits or your butt crack and then walk around shaking people's hands and touching things, would you?

(Not specific to you, RedScare -- it's rhetorical.)

I always wash my hands. In the school restrooms, when kids walkout without washing their hands, I yell out a big "this fool didn't even wash his hands, that's [blank] nasty". I say different things from time to time.

But I just don't wash my hands after using the restroom. Katy High is pretty dirty and we have some weird kids sitting in the desks I use. I may put my hand under my desk (accident) to find some fresh new Stride under it.

I do that to the tourist kids in the mall bathrooms, too. When I'm washing and I see one in the mirror heading from the stalls to the doors, I yell in my fiercest Brooklyn accent, "Wash ya hands, kid!" They always turn and make a bee-line for the basins. After all, this kid might have gotten some filth of one kind or another on his hand, and now he's going to open the door with the same handle I have to use next.

At least in smaller bathrooms I can open the door with a paper towel and chuck it into the trash bin before the door closes.

On a related note -- have you ever noticed that Starbucks always have the WORST bathrooms? Typically they're below the grade of the average truck stop bathroom. Just horrible. I've never been to a Starbucks that wasn't part of a hotel that didn't have an absolutely filthy bathroom.

Here's a picture of the worst Starbucks men's room I've come across:

gallery_1_65_115602.jpg

I always wash my hands. In the school restrooms, when kids walkout without washing their hands, I yell out a big "this fool didn't even wash his hands, that's [blank] nasty". I say different things from time to time.

But I just don't wash my hands after using the restroom. Katy High is pretty dirty and we have some weird kids sitting in the desks I use. I may put my hand under my desk (accident) to find some fresh new Stride under it.

Stride?

Ewww. I have that problem all the time. I have resorted to hanging a bag on the edge of the stall door (if there is enough room).

Floor definitely not an option.

Ewww. I have that problem all the time. I have resorted to hanging a bag on the edge of the stall door (if there is enough room).

Floor definitely not an option.

FWIW, Charmin makes tiny little rolls of toilet paper that fit in a purse for emergencies. I have a bunch of them I picked up in Walgreen's once. They were a life saver in Thailand where TP can be scarce. And even in places with TP, you're not supposed to flush it -- you put it in the stinky bucket next to the tirlet. Ick!

Yes of course.

What's bothersome is seeing the person that is cooking or handling the food behind the counter then ringing up the sale and handling the money and giving it to you. Thats really disgusting. Everyone knows where money has been. Imagination now.

It's no wonder the population gets sick ie; hepatitis, cholera, salmonela, etc.

It is distressing to not see men wash hands after using the can. The ones you least expect are guilty of this. I mean well dressed and conservative appearance. It just doesn't make sense. Then they shake your hand.....firm hand shake... yepster's. :mellow:

• 3 months later...
I know it's wrong, but in that case I just throw them on the floor after I've opened the door.

You must work in my building, macbro.

Being a third generation plumber, we (plumbers) always wash our hands BEFORE & AFTER.

And we also love the new electronic flush valves and faucets. Hope they become mandatory soon.

I can't get the water HOT enough for me after using a public facility. I didn't used to be like that. I even go so far as to carry a papertowel to the door, because after all the washing , you still have to open the door leading out, and do you really want to touch that ?

I can't get the water HOT enough for me after using a public facility. I didn't used to be like that. I even go so far as to carry a papertowel to the door, because after all the washing , you still have to open the door leading out, and do you really want to touch that ?

I don't want to touch much of anything in public bathrooms. They are just icky.

Archived