Do You Wash Your Hands After Doin Your Business?

lockmat

Clean or Nasty?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wash your hands after using the restroom?

• yes
    • no
    • most of the time
    • not usually
    • depends
    • I act like I'm washing them by running water over my hands w/o soap
    • I didn't get them dirty, so why do I need to wash them?

Unless you say yes, I'd like to keep this poll anonymous. I just wanted to take a survey of our HAIF hand washers. I know there are people out there who don't do it, and no doubt some of you HAIFers are part of the guilty party.

It's just a fun/whatever poll.

For the record, I'll be the first one voting yes. If you vote anything else, I'd try not to post if you so choose, at the same time of your tally.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes! Human filth is the nastiest form of filth and I can't tolerate it.

I love quotes like this. Urine is 95% water, and is sterile, virus free, and bacteria free when it leaves the body. Urea, a component of urine, is commonly found in skin care products. It is very likely that the urine you are disgusted by is cleaner than the soap, water and towel you use to rid your hands of it.

I love quotes like this. Urine is 95% water, and is sterile, virus free, and bacteria free when it leaves the body. Urea, a component of urine, is commonly found in skin care products. It is very likely that the urine you are disgusted by is cleaner than the soap, water and towel you use to rid your hands of it.

Yep, and in an emergency situation, it can be drank for its water content.

An Army 1stSgt and a Marine Corps Gunny were in the same bathroom using the urinals. The Army guy finishes up, and proceeds to the sink to wash his hands. The Marine finishes up and proceeds to the door. The 1st Sgt, in a condescending tone said "You know, in the Army, they teach us to wash our hands after we take a piss". Without skipping a beat, the Gunnery Sgt replies "That's great. In the Marine Corps they teach us not to piss on our hands" as he left.

In general, I will wash my hands, but not for that reason. I shake so many hands in a day that I wash my hands regularly. That is the dirty part, not going to the restroom.

True. I don't wash my hands to avoid human filth coming out of me. I wash my hands to avoid disease picked up from the things I've touched since I last washed. Time to wash again.

Along a similar vein, I saw a news report sometime in the last year or two that investigated just how dirty toilet seats and door knobs are. I believe the report was based on the amount of bacteria growing on each surface.

Turns out, your face is waaaaay (several orders of magnitude) "dirtier" than a typical public toilet seat. Bacteria thrive in warm and moist environments, while toilet seats are dry and cold (most of the time).

I think germophobia is all mental, and unhealthy.

I always wash my hands. In the school restrooms, when kids walkout without washing their hands, I yell out a big "this fool didn't even wash his hands, that's [blank] nasty". I say different things from time to time.

But I just don't wash my hands after using the restroom. Katy High is pretty dirty and we have some weird kids sitting in the desks I use. I may put my hand under my desk (accident) to find some fresh new Stride under it.

Before and after, door knobs, handrails, everything is nasty, call me a germophobe, was them before and after.

That's my big neuroticism, is when a bathroom door is configured to swing inward so that you have to make contact and pull on a handle that you just know is covered in filth. That, and when facets require too much torque to turn off.

At times like that, I always end up asking myself, "What's the point?"

I have a "technique". I can do my bidness and not touch anything more than my zipper and my underwear. Besides, I would be worried more about how clean my hands were before the event than after.

I know that technique! It is especially useful if there is no soap and water beforehand or if my hands are especially grimy.

That's my big neuroticism, is when a bathroom door is configured to swing inward so that you have to make contact and pull on a handle that you just know is covered in filth. That, and when facets require too much torque to turn off.

At times like that, I always end up asking myself, "What's the point?"

You've never mastered the technique of grabbing the handle with a paper towel and then throwing the towel quickly into the trash on your way out? That, or just wait for the next person to open the door.

I'm not talking about just urine. I'm aware of the urine in skin care products. A couple of years ago I remember reading about some soap star that suggested putting your own pee on your face to ward of wrinkles.

Seriously, there are things I see all the time from people that churn my stomach that some people probably wouldn't think twice about. It's an anxiety thing with me.

westguy:

You've never mastered the technique of grabbing the handle with a paper towel and then throwing the towel quickly into the trash on your way out? That, or just wait for the next person to open the door.

Or on the floor if there's not a trash can in reach. It's not my fault if there's not a trash can near the door.

that's what i do too.

Yeah, but I hate bathrooms that don't have paper towels, only that crappy air blower thing!

Amen, brother! It's a joy to wash your hands with nice hot water, decent soap, and plenty of paper towels. But cold water, a dirty sink, and that stupid air blower are big influences on whether I wash or not. Plus, without being too graphic, you know when you really need to and when you don't.

Yeah, but I hate bathrooms that don't have paper towels, only that crappy air blower thing!

Talk about a dilemma...at that point I either revert to waiting for someone else to come through, or I grab the handle with my pinky in the least worn area. If it's an actual knob, you're pretty screwed...though I've used my shirt on more than one occasion. OCD, anyone?

I typically care less if I'm not about to eat anytime soon, or if I've been drinking...a lot

Unless you say yes, I'd like to keep this poll anonymous. I just wanted to take a survey of our HAIF hand washers. I know there are people out there who don't do it, and no doubt some of you HAIFers are part of the guilty party.

It's just a fun/whatever poll.

For the record, I'll be the first one voting yes. If you vote anything else, I'd try not to post if you so choose, at the same time of your tally.

I resisted posting on this, but this is one of the most bizarre topics on HAIF EVER!

Washing hands at the Hyatt bathroom lobby is a blast (literally!) . Watching people eyeing (sic?)the new hand driving machine there.

this is up there with another post I read in another forum "How long do you wait to stop being discrete at passing gas in the same bed with a new lover?"

I resisted posting on this, but this is one of the most bizarre topics on HAIF EVER!

Washing hands at the Hyatt bathroom lobby is a blast (literally!) . Watching people eyeing (sic?)the new hand driving machine there.

this is up there with another post I read in another forum "How long do you wait to stop being discrete at passing gas in the same bed with a new lover?"

lol, you think so? It's just washing hands, haha.

There was a thread like this before. It started off as a thread about taqueria stands and wound up a thread about hygiene.

Yeah, I found that one. I wanted to take a poll though. Discussion is not necessarily what I had in mind, but it's fine.

When towels and a trash can next to the door are available, I'll do that. That's less common than I'd like, though.

And I'm too impatient just to wait around for someone else.

lol. no kidding. I'll just grab the handle w/ my pinky where I think it's least touched.

Oh, crap. That's what I do too. Has it occurred to everybody that the aggregate effect of our germophobic neuroticism is that we're all touching the same inconvenient parts of the handle?

Archived