Houston Museum of Natural Science The Woodlands

bachanon

full story

Township looks at plans for $40 million museum

By JAKE MUONIO

Officials in The Woodlands are working with representatives from the Houston Museum of Natural Science in an effort to bring a $40 million, 200,000-square-foot museum to Town Center.

The idea took shape after a market feasibility study was conducted in line with The Woodlands Township

Supremely bad idea, just as bad as opening a branch of the Children's Museum in Sugar Land. Houston is too diffuse as it is; with the trend toward high-density this and that, the City as a whole needs to hop on that bandwagon and consolidate its assets. It would do so much for nurturing a sense of Houston as A place rather than placeS. I'm growing more and more tired of living in such a center-less city.

Supremely bad idea, just as bad as opening a branch of the Children's Museum in Sugar Land. Houston is too diffuse as it is; with the trend toward high-density this and that, the City as a whole needs to hop on that bandwagon and consolidate its assets. It would do so much for nurturing a sense of Houston as A place rather than placeS. I'm growing more and more tired of living in such a center-less city.

The museum's mission is to educate. As the Houston area expands, the best way to fulfill that mission may be to go to the people. To the extent that there may have to be a tradeoff between museum effectiveness and centrality, I'll side with the former any day of the week.

The problem, just like with the unfettered suburban growth itself, is where will it end? I don't have a problem with the Houston AREA expanding. What I dislike is how the suburbs continue to dominate the city, robbing the city of a proper central core. Nobody thinks of the Inner Loop when they think of Houston. They think cookie-cutter, strip malls, billboards, etc. It was my hope that with increased focus on expanding rail, making downtown a destination, and all the other projects that go along with building an urban core, there wouldn't be a need for such projects that further dilute what culture the City of Houston has. Obviously I was mistaken.

Besides, I highly doubt this project is solely concerned with educating more people. If that were the case, they would have built a satellite location in South Park.

The problem, just like with the unfettered suburban growth itself, is where will it end? I don't have a problem with the Houston AREA expanding. What I dislike is how the suburbs continue to dominate the city, robbing the city of a proper central core. Nobody thinks of the Inner Loop when they think of Houston. They think cookie-cutter, strip malls, billboards, etc. It was my hope that with increased focus on expanding rail, making downtown a destination, and all the other projects that go along with building an urban core, there wouldn't be a need for such projects that further dilute what culture the City of Houston has. Obviously I was mistaken.

Besides, I highly doubt this project is solely concerned with educating more people. If that were the case, they would have built a satellite location in South Park.

I have a problem with individuals that place our demographic geography or outsiders' perceptions over the education of our citizenry.

It wouldn't make sense to put a museum in South Park because South Park is already plenty close to the original museum, it probably can't chip in on the costs like I'll bet that The Woodlands will, and frankly, with or without an energy museum in their neighborhood, it is extremely unlikely that the children of South Park will become the next generation of energy executives.

evidently, having the temporary satellite location has increased museum membership. this is not only good for the institution, it solidifies the significance of the town center concept. museum satellites in sugarland, kingwood, pearland, etc. would be good for everyone. hopefully, the woodlands location will be such a success that the museums find it necessary to do it elsewhere.

evidently, having the temporary satellite location has increased museum membership. this is not only good for the institution, it solidifies the significance of the town center concept.
sounds like it is all about money.

I have a problem with individuals that place our demographic geography or outsiders' perceptions over the education of our citizenry.

It wouldn't make sense to put a museum in South Park because South Park is already plenty close to the original museum, it probably can't chip in on the costs like I'll bet that The Woodlands will, and frankly, with or without an energy museum in their neighborhood, it is extremely unlikely that the children of South Park will become the next generation of energy executives.

False dichotomy alert. When did I place Houston's "demographic geography" over the "education of our citizenry"? If the museum truly wanted to educate Houston children there are many other options and avenues for doing so. I'm tired of pandering to our suburbs at the detriment of the continued revitalization of our inner-city core. Sprawl is not good, we should be trying to mitigate it. You can argue that this is one way, but I would argue that they should've chosen something else to put there to encourage walkability in their contrived town center. Don't those people have any imagination? No, this is a matter of the suburbs want, they got the money, so they get. Money talks too much in this city. Call me naive, but it's my opinion and I can express it. This POV would be a no-brainer in most other cities I've lived in.

Just because it is relatively close doesn't mean the children of South Park are able to go to it. Many don't have cars, parents who work long hours or are disinterested, and buses are unreliable. I could have inserted Acres Homes or any other far-flung low-income community and my point still stands.

Your point about The Woodlands' children being more likely to become energy executives reveals a great deal about where you're coming from, so I won't even begin to approach your classist assumptions on that point. The HMNS is not just an energy museum; that is only one component of many.

False dichotomy alert. When did I place Houston's "demographic geography" over the "education of our citizenry"? If the museum truly wanted to educate Houston children there are many other options and avenues for doing so. I'm tired of pandering to our suburbs at the detriment of the continued revitalization of our inner-city core. Sprawl is not good, we should be trying to mitigate it. You can argue that this is one way, but I would argue that they should've chosen something else to put there to encourage walkability in their contrived town center. Don't those people have any imagination? No, this is a matter of the suburbs want, they got the money, so they get. Money talks too much in this city. Call me naive, but it's my opinion and I can express it. This POV would be a no-brainer in most other cities I've lived in.

If the museum can boost aggregate attendance and membership by expanding into satellite locations, as would be viable measures of performance, and at the same time they can serve parts of our region that aren't convenient to the urban core, thus providing a more geographically uniform service to the region's citizens, then I see that as a good thing. And if they can find donors to help make it happen, more power to them.

If you want to mitigate the impacts of urban sprawl, there are a hell of a lot of better ways to go about that than to try to argue that an educational resource ought to be denied to anyone regardless of where they live (or where minors' parents decided that they ought to live). Talk about alternative transportation strategies, talk about urban growth boundaries, talk about special taxing jurisdictions radiating outward from the urban core...whatever. Don't talk about limiting where educational resources are put.

Just because it is relatively close doesn't mean the children of South Park are able to go to it. Many don't have cars, parents who work long hours or are disinterested, and buses are unreliable. I could have inserted Acres Homes or any other far-flung low-income community and my point still stands.

Your point about The Woodlands' children being more likely to become energy executives reveals a great deal about where you're coming from, so I won't even begin to approach your classist assumptions on that point. The HMNS is not just an energy museum; that is only one component of many.

Realistically, I think that what I said about The Woodlands' children being more likely to rise through the corporate ranks than are the children of South Park (or Acres Homes) is going to hold true. I'm not taking sides, but the tendency is pretty easy to observe and rationalize. And you already identified the foremost problem, which is disinterested parents. A museum can't fix that.

1. If sprawl and its effects are not good shouldn't we try to turn suburbs into self-sustaining cities so that people do not have to commute as often?

2. It is possible to travel from South Park to the Museum by public transportation (METRO) - You can go on the website here (even people without internet can go to a library and use the internet there) and get a bus schedule - http://tripplanner.ridemetro.org/

NOW, suppose that Timmy wanted to get a ride on a Saturday afternoon from around Jones High School (7414 St. Lo) to the Houston Museum of Natural Science.

He can go on the 077 and the 001. He leaves from Martin Luther King @ Pershing and arrives at Main at Remington, near the museum.

In short: Timmy doesn't need a car to get to the museum and it will take maybe an hour or two per direction to get there.

On the other hand, The Woodlands has a private company with "Park and Ride" bus service, but it does not operate on weekends: http://www.btd.org/Park&Rides.htm

Are you equally opposed to branch libraries? If not, why shouldn't our museums have branches closer to their users?

I'm tired of pandering to our suburbs at the detriment of the continued revitalization of our inner-city core. Sprawl is not good, we should be trying to mitigate it. You can argue that this is one way, but I would argue that they should've chosen something else to put there to encourage walkability in their contrived town center. Don't those people have any imagination? No, this is a matter of the suburbs want, they got the money, so they get. Money talks too much in this city. Call me naive, but it's my opinion and I can express it

The ever present snobbery against suburbs seems to be challenged at the slightest attempt to create worthwhile living environments that include more than just a mall. God forbid that The Woodlands gets a museum, better forms of entertainment or, yikes! a university or research institution. Improving the quality of life where people are and where people are determined to support such institutions is good for the region. HMNS will grow because of a satellite location in the right place(s). To feel it slights the core of Houston is not well thought out.

It not just that the burbs want educational/entertainment options ("they have money so they get it"), they will support it with their schools, their families, their infrastructure. What's even better about a museum in a place like The Woodlands is that you can own a $100k house less than half a mile away. See what you get for $100K near the museum district in town.

. This POV would be a no-brainer in most other cities I've lived in.
Welcome to free thinking Houston. ;)

I just read the article. Very incouraging for The Woodlands. 5 stories and 200,000 sq. ft. with an observation tower. Can't beat that with a stick. I know the mall location has been an overwhelming success. This is good news for Sugar Land or Kingwood...if they were seeking a museum. I think Kingwood is in an area of explosive development thanks to Earth Quest. Look for huge hotels and what not to overtake E. Montgomery Co. and Northern Harris.

Seems to me that The Woodlands is the gateway to the north. Talking about education in Houston does nto apply. This is a case where a major educational and recreational center is brought closer to smaller towns and the countryside, making an experience in the museum more available to those living distant to the city. I can see a case to have one to the west also as the sprawl reaches out further. This is a natural extension caused by distance. The cost of gas is going to affect the outer reaches in the number of visits to the central part of Houston. The closer one lives, the more accessible these nice amenities being proposed. I have taken my family to the museum once in 10 years. I will take them much more often if it is located within 20 miles of my home. It is difficult to have everything available. If that was a priority, we would live closer to town. But that is flat prairie, not where we want to live. Many of us here prefer to live in the pines of the forest. Just because we live near Houston does not make us part of Houston. Some of us do work there but many do not. Times are changing and so are the relationships of businesses and recreational areas. Close proximity to recreation and educational services have significance to families out here. To me the museum will be great for families in a large area to the north of Houston. With additional transportation connectivity to enable faster and more efficient mobility, we should see a very broad range of interest in northern family-centric art and recreational facilities.

what woody speaks of is true. the fact is, people are congregating everywhere. for the museums to follow is a natural, progressive and beneficial circumstance. it's good for everyone and should be repeated west, east and south of houston.

I just read the article. Very incouraging for The Woodlands. 5 stories and 200,000 sq. ft. with an observation tower. Can't beat that with a stick. I know the mall location has been an overwhelming success. This is good news for Sugar Land or Kingwood...if they were seeking a museum. I think Kingwood is in an area of explosive development thanks to Earth Quest. Look for huge hotels and what not to overtake E. Montgomery Co. and Northern Harris.

15 are planned for the New Caney area because of Earth Quest.

Seems to me that The Woodlands is the gateway to the north. Talking about education in Houston does nto apply. This is a case where a major educational and recreational center is brought closer to smaller towns and the countryside, making an experience in the museum more available to those living distant to the city. I can see a case to have one to the west also as the sprawl reaches out further. This is a natural extension caused by distance. The cost of gas is going to affect the outer reaches in the number of visits to the central part of Houston. The closer one lives, the more accessible these nice amenities being proposed. I have taken my family to the museum once in 10 years. I will take them much more often if it is located within 20 miles of my home. It is difficult to have everything available. If that was a priority, we would live closer to town. But that is flat prairie, not where we want to live. Many of us here prefer to live in the pines of the forest. Just because we live near Houston does not make us part of Houston. Some of us do work there but many do not. Times are changing and so are the relationships of businesses and recreational areas. Close proximity to recreation and educational services have significance to families out here. To me the museum will be great for families in a large area to the north of Houston. With additional transportation connectivity to enable faster and more efficient mobility, we should see a very broad range of interest in northern family-centric art and recreational facilities.

You are in the Woodlands because of Houston. Without Houston, there would be no The Woodlands. The HOUSTON Museum of Natural Science is building a small musuem in the Woodlands. Not the Woodlands Museum.

You are in the Woodlands because of Houston. Without Houston, there would be no The Woodlands. The HOUSTON Museum of Natural Science is building a small musuem in the Woodlands. Not the Woodlands Museum.

knee jerkin' trae?

the woodlands and those of us fond of it are very aware of our connection to houston. it is symbiotic, not parasitic. and, btw, i'm in THE woodlands because i grew up in Conroe, a city with a unique history spawned from the search for oil and being at railroad crossroads. conroe existed/exists without houston yet thrives because of its location. the woodlands was created "because" of its location and the dream of a better hometown. it's good for everyone. it isn't us vs them.

no need to get worked up about it.

did i just get worked up about it? ;)

I don't know if I'd call a 200,000 sq. ft 5 story museum "small." It will be sligthy smaller than the downtown location.

Sorrry buddy. I did not move here because of Houston. I moved here becuase of The Woodlands, period. There are many here for the same reason. Just because The Woodlands is close to Houston does not make it a satellite of Houston, nor exist because of Houston. I know, the early stages brought oil people out here, but that only accelerated its growth, but did not cause its ultimate existence. It came out from the timber business of the East Texas forest. As far as I am concerned, the museum can be called The Woodlands Museum or the Conroe Museum or the Tomball Museum, but Houston is just a nearby city in Texas where we must pass through to get to Galveston. It has a few nice places to visit and is a very big city, but it is certainly not a place for naturalists. Had it not been for the state, the nation and some visionary people, Houston would have destroyed this entire area like 1960 and Greenspoint and many other areas that were once beautiful places in our great forests.

owwww. sad but true. as i look out west from the 9th floor of a town center office building, all i see are trees. 90 thousand people.......from the 9th floor....nothing but trees. really cool.

almost.......a hidden city. just like george & cynthia mitchell envisioned.

Sorrry buddy. I did not move here because of Houston. I moved here becuase of The Woodlands, period. There are many here for the same reason. Just because The Woodlands is close to Houston does not make it a satellite of Houston, nor exist because of Houston. I know, the early stages brought oil people out here, but that only accelerated its growth, but did not cause its ultimate existence. It came out from the timber business of the East Texas forest. As far as I am concerned, the museum can be called The Woodlands Museum or the Conroe Museum or the Tomball Museum, but Houston is just a nearby city in Texas where we must pass through to get to Galveston. It has a few nice places to visit and is a very big city, but it is certainly not a place for naturalists. Had it not been for the state, the nation and some visionary people, Houston would have destroyed this entire area like 1960 and Greenspoint and many other areas that were once beautiful places in our great forests.

Riiiiiiight. You'd be fooling yourself to think that the Woodlands would exist the way it is without Houston. There would be no "Woodlands Museum" had the HOUSTON Museum come out and build it.

And yes, the Woodlands is a satellite to Houston. Just like Sugar Land, Katy, Pearland, etc.

sorry trae, the woodlands is not like sugarland, pearland or katy. the woodlands is recognized internationally as one of the most successful experimental communities in the world. do any of the areas you list have 30-40 thousand jobs and multiple international headquarters? don't think so. are sugarland, pearland and katy recognized by the united nations as ecologically sensitive communities? nope. are people from the east coast and mexico moving to the woodlands because they want to be near houston. no.

before you make unsubstantial comments on the woodlands you should take time to read the following:

the woodlands

communities in bloom

a museum in the woodlands was inevitable.

sorry trae, the woodlands is not like sugarland, pearland or katy. the woodlands is recognized internationally as one of the most successful experimental communities in the world. do any of the areas you list have 30-40 thousand jobs and multiple international headquarters? don't think so. are sugarland, pearland and katy recognized by the united nations as ecologically sensitive communities? nope. are people from the east coast and mexico moving to the woodlands because they want to be near houston. no.

before you make unsubstantial comments on the woodlands you should take time to read the following:

the woodlands

communities in bloom

a museum in the woodlands was inevitable.

Sorry, but no. The Woodlands is a satellite city of Houston. All satellite cities are different. What international HQ's are in the Woodlands? I think Sugar Land has some. Sugar Land has a ton of jobs in it, and near by. Katy is right next to the Energy Corridor, too. A lot of the EC is in Katy ISD (by the way, does the Woodlands have its own school district?).

Archived