Are You Evil?

ricco67

I had to fire a client that I recently got. While working for him, I had overheard how condescending he is towards people that are "Beneath" him (including me) such as Waitresses, Secretaries, IT people, etc...yet with people that are on his "level", he's friendly, polite, and with certain people I've noticed, solicitous to the point where (to me) it was annoying.

A conversation I had at a bar (DUH!) over drinks got me wondering, do these people KNOW they're jerks or do they think they have the right to do so?

An offshoot of this conversation (and several beers later) was wondering if Hitler (Osama Bin Ladin, Ahmadinejad, or any other favorite dictator) himself thought he was a nice guy, a stern man, or was simply so wrapped up in his ego that he was simply doing the world a favor.

BTW: when I fired my client, he was actually VERY offended and immediately said "Well, I guess you don't need my business anyway."

I mean, good lord!

I had to fire a client that I recently got. While working for him, I had overheard how condescending he is towards people that are "Beneath" him (including me) such as Waitresses, Secretaries, IT people, etc...yet with people that are on his "level", he's friendly, polite, and with certain people I've noticed, solicitous to the point where (to me) it was annoying.

A conversation I had at a bar (DUH!) over drinks got me wondering, do these people KNOW they're jerks or do they think they have the right to do so?

An offshoot of this conversation (and several beers later) was wondering if Hitler (Osama Bin Ladin, Ahmadinejad, or any other favorite dictator) himself thought he was a nice guy, a stern man, or was simply so wrapped up in his ego that he was simply doing the world a favor.

BTW: when I fired my client, he was actually VERY offended and immediately said "Well, I guess you don't need my business anyway."

I mean, good lord!

Seems like a normal response to being fired. Maybe I am just a jerk.

Despite having watched my fair share of Law and Order reruns, I don't know anything about pyschiatry to distinguish between sociopaths and psychopaths. But, working in a male dominated business I deal with a lot of self-serving, garden variety a-holes like your former client.

Here's how I tell the difference: when someone is being an ass and I have to suffer them, I try to call them out on it. There are a few who will be be surprised and genuinely sorry; they didn't realize they were being obnoxious. The vast majority either shrug it off, get even worse, or give you a faux-pology and go right on their way.

For all you guys out their trying to impress the ladies--we are watching you like a hawk to see how you treat service people, strangers, etc. What mom said is right! Always ditch the guy who treats his waiter poorly.

Despite having watched my fair share of Law and Order reruns, I don't know anything about pyschiatry to distinguish between sociopaths and psychopaths. But, working in a male dominated business I deal with a lot of self-serving, garden variety a-holes like your former client.

Here's how I tell the difference: when someone is being an ass and I have to suffer them, I try to call them out on it. There are a few who will be be surprised and genuinely sorry; they didn't realize they were being obnoxious. The vast majority either shrug it off, get even worse, or give you a faux-pology and go right on their way.

For all you guys out their trying to impress the ladies--we are watching you like a hawk to see how you treat service people, strangers, etc. What mom said is right! Always ditch the guy who treats his waiter poorly.

I don't treat waiters poorly I treat them like everyone else. It's there employers that treat them poorly.

I mean, good lord!

The truth was that you DIDN'T need his business. I certainly don't want to do business with people I know are Jackasses. I especially don't want to be in the service of someone who thinks they are better than me. I am the type of person who will call them out on it and the business relationship would probably desolve anyways.

I think people like this , when they are by themslelves, think they KNOW they are a P's.O.S. for the way they act towards others, but then they catch themselves and say, "Screw it, that is just how I am." and forgive themselves.

I am sure Hitler and Saddam thought they were the lives of the party, and they knew everyone loved them. Then, when they got taken down a peg, the blind minions saw these types of people for who they truly were, wishy-washy bullies, that when you punch them in the nose, they turn tail and run.

Good triumphs over evil EVERYTIME !

I don't treat waiters poorly I treat them like everyone else. It's there employers that treat them poorly.

Westguy, you aren't the one that doesn't tip are you ? I can't remember. If you are the one, didn't I ask you to watch Fight Club ? Have you watched Fight Club yet ?

Exactly what I've seen/what happens to me. But for me it happens with both women and men. The fauxpology happens more often with women.

Exactly what I've seen/what happens to me. But for me it happens with both women and men. The fauxpology happens more often with women.

You're right--I wasn't as specific as I could have been. Common, blow-hard meanness is almost always men, but occasionally you get the passive-aggressive, power trippin' woman. Have to say, I've only encounterd one loud, mean, belligerent woman.

The truth was that you DIDN'T need his business. I certainly don't want to do business with people I know are Jackasses. I especially don't want to be in the service of someone who thinks they are better than me. I am the type of person who will call them out on it and the business relationship would probably desolve anyways.

I think people like this , when they are by themslelves, think they KNOW they are a P's.O.S. for the way they act towards others, but then they catch themselves and say, "Screw it, that is just how I am." and forgive themselves.

I am sure Hitler and Saddam thought they were the lives of the party, and they knew everyone loved them. Then, when they got taken down a peg, the blind minions saw these types of people for who they truly were, wishy-washy bullies, that when you punch them in the nose, they turn tail and run.

Good triumphs over evil EVERYTIME !

Westguy, you aren't the one that doesn't tip are you ? I can't remember. If you are the one, didn't I ask you to watch Fight Club ? Have you watched Fight Club yet ?

maybe, good memory, i own that movie but haven't watched it in years. seriously i tip , poorly sometimes, good other times, but i don't like being guilted into it and i abhore the concept. but that's another topic i think.

I think these people know full well they are A**holes, in fact I think they revel in it and eat up peoples fear like an agressive animal would sense and feed off of the fears of it's prey.

I think they get jollies off of making people uncomfortable, it's sick when you think about it.

Are you sure you don't mean "Reservoir Dogs"?

P.S. Don't talk about "Fight Club".

Well, considering I am in a service industry, I do try to adjust to their needs. MOST of the time when my regular clients are being jerks its because a meeting went bad, flight got delayed for 5 hours, baby kept them up all night, or the dog took a dump in their best shoes (I tried hard not to laugh at that one). After I calm them down or I see them at the next appointment they usually apologize to me (on their own) and make it up to me. (yay!)

But every once in awhile I come across those that are serious jerks and it is usually when we get off on the wrong foot immediately is when I start getting bad feelings about the clients, but I have to give them a reasonable doubt as to their true nature. Putting up with their BS initially often pays off in dividends later with referrals/apologies.

But again, I've actually stopped what I was doing, told them to find someone else in the middle of a job when I feel they gone too far and told them so.

I did this once and scolded my client. His wife broke out in a big grin and chased me down the driveway and paid me DOUBLE of what he was supposed to be charged.

Are you sure you don't mean "Reservoir Dogs"?

P.S. Don't talk about "Fight Club".

Also a good reference, but I am referring to the part in "FC" where they hold the diplomat in the bathroom and explain to him the facts of life as to who he and his crew were and not to come looking for them. Also the part in "FC" where the waiter tells them NOT to order the soup today. Waiters have very good memories for bad tippers, and they would gladly give him/her a complimentary bowl of "tainted" soup.

I have a neighbor who's like one of the jerks you describe. He loves his speakerphone, and I think he's partially deaf and doesn't know it so I hear lots of what's going on next door.

From my observation, people like that invite their own grief and it makes them more miserable which they then take out on other people and the cycle continues. I've heard his customers on the phone call him rude and cancel their orders. I've heard his suppliers refuse to do business with him because of his attitude.

I simply avoid people like this, even if it costs me money. Some people are bad news and you don't need them in your life.

I think evil is a human construct. I do believe there are truly mean and evil people, but I think that in terms of good vs. evil (such as biblical stuff) there is not. There is no more evil in the world than there is good.

Excellent! That's just what we want you to think. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaa!

I have a neighbor who's like one of the jerks you describe. He loves his speakerphone, and I think he's partially deaf and doesn't know it so I hear lots of what's going on next door.

From my observation, people like that invite their own grief and it makes them more miserable which they then take out on other people and the cycle continues. I've heard his customers on the phone call him rude and cancel their orders. I've heard his suppliers refuse to do business with him because of his attitude.

I simply avoid people like this, even if it costs me money. Some people are bad news and you don't need them in your life.

Not sure if I would classify that as rude, a jerk, evil, or just painfully annoying. It's a little of all three.

• 3 weeks later...

Once I backed up over a kitty and felt evil but it went away after a while. After all it was an accident. I was more crushed than the poor feline. I hastily buried her and made a tiny marker and once the services were over I rushed to work. No more evil. :blush:

Archived