Doug Brown Retiring Thursday

musicman

after 50 yrs in the business, seems Doug Brown is retiring. Thursday morning on 13 news, he will be doing his final broadcast.

Another of the really nice guys bites the dust. I've been acquainted with Doug ever since he moved to Houston from Waco back in the early 70s, and I'm here to tell you that he is every bit the nice person he appears to be on TV.

What you see is what you get with Doug and I'm one who'll miss seeing him on the tube.

Wow, It is hard to see Doug Brown leaving, I've also been watching him for a very long time on ABC 13. I think he originally did the weather for the morning show yeras back even before Casey Curry came along. That's probably why he is doing his final forecasts tomorrow on the morning newscast rather than on the weekend mornings. I wonder will they hire a new replacement or do some rescheduling.

What is it about Channel 13 that allows their people to stay on for many years? The rest of the stations seem to shuffle thru on-air talent on a regular basis. Dave Ward has outlasted Ron Stone by 16 years and Steve Smith for at least 10 or so.

I think it is called "devotion" to your employees and the reporters apparently enjoy working there.

Most news places will drop a reporter if they have a wrinkle or two. KTRK has been on top of the charts because they know that experience counts.

What is it about Channel 13 that allows their people to stay on for many years? The rest of the stations seem to shuffle thru on-air talent on a regular basis. Dave Ward has outlasted Ron Stone by 16 years and Steve Smith for at least 10 or so.

steve and ron retired, dave hasn't.

Did y'all watch that final time he was on? They read two emails from viewers. MINE WAS ONE OF THEM!!!!!!! It was the one saying that if Tim didnt let him fill in, Tim would have to deal with me! lol

• 3 weeks later...
Ron was pushed....and I think Steve may have been as well. Both were still in their primes...

Ron left just as the Washington Post was taking over Channel 2, he already had left the 10pm news around the time they (KPRC) got rid of Geraldo. I recall Steve Smith's decision to leave 11 was sort of a personal decision; I recall watching 11 the night he made the call to retire.

As far as Dave Ward goes, he's probably asking for a record in Guinness.

Money. 13 pays the best of all the Houston TV stations.

Also, it's the best station to work for, so if you love Houston once you make your way up to 13, there's nowhere else to go.

Archived