Any Photos Or Discussion Of The 1895 Blizzard?

I was wondering if anyone had pics or stories of teh 1895 Blizzard in Houston and surrounding areas? I can only imagin that it would be hard on people not use to snow and not able to forecast such a thing to get hit with 20 inches out of no where. Reading one recount from over in Orange, I know that one of the historians over there have some pictures of the Orange Courthouse during the "storm". I was wondering what info and pics others had???

I was wondering if anyone had pics or stories of teh 1895 Blizzard in Houston and surrounding areas? I can only imagin that it would be hard on people not use to snow and not able to forecast such a thing to get hit with 20 inches out of no where. Reading one recount from over in Orange, I know that one of the historians over there have some pictures of the Orange Courthouse during the "storm". I was wondering what info and pics others had???

Haven't found any pics yet, but here's an article about it. http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/ice.htm

Doing a search, I see lots written about it, but not a lot of pictures. I saw one picture

taken in New Orleans. Was pretty deep.

I think the 73 snow was the best in recent memory..

I was in high school at that time. Got fairly deep for Houston,

and snowed twice pretty heavy if I remember right

with a week or so apart.

Some short video..

http://home.comcast.net/~disk100/73snow-2.wmv

If someone has access to the Galveston Daily News archive, there are photos of the port of Galveston in the 1895 snow in the December 5, 1909 issue of the paper's magazine supplement. There is also a photo of Ball High School in the 1895 snow in the February 14, 1945 edition of the News. And a photo of the Beach Hotel in the 1895 snow, and a photo of a Galveston residence in the 1895 snow, in the September 19, 1968 edition. (The copies I've seen of these photos are very grainy, or I'd post them.)

Edited by tmariar
  • 2 months later...