What's You Cell-phone Provider?

I am considering dumping ATT this spring switching to something else. With the new Sprint plans being so generous it is a likely candidate. here are my questions:

-Those of you who has Sprint in Houston - are you happy with it? Any troublesome coverage spots?

- For all - can yopu briefly comment on what is your provider with cons and pros.

I think HAIF as a community will benefit form it.

I'll start with ATT/Cingular. I've started with them back in CA when it was ATT wireless; once they merge with Cingular customer service became much worse. The rollover feature is nice but there some fine-print associated with it, e.g. not all of your rollover are transfered when you switch plans. Data rates are very expensive. Text message (no plan) rate keep increasing, 10c then 15c now 20c. I only get these occasionally as emergency notification system etc so it is not worth getting a plan but why is it getting more and more expensive when other companies decrease their prices. Also unlike ATT Wireless, Cingular charges for incoming messages - why should someone pay for sth he/she does not have a control over. You can opt out of taking a call but not a text message. Recently I start getting "call-failed' message much more often. Sometimes I get network busy message as well... Too many customers for system to handle?

I have Sprint and only have problems when I'm in the house. I have to talk near a window if I wanna stay inside.

One con may be a problem w/ my phone, not sure. I must get $5 unlimited internet to send pictures. I didn't have a camera phone before, but I used to just be charged per my usage.

I have had ATT/Cingular/SBC/Houston Cellular for way too long. That is the only reason I can think of as to why I am still with them (that and the internet bundle). The plans are really expensive, but I have never had issues with coverage or phones.

I'm on Sprint's SERO plan. 500 minutes, unlimited text messages, unlimited downloads for $30/month. I'm EXTREMELY PLEASED with it. Coverage is excellent in my house, and even at work at around 30 stories in the air. I HIGHLY recommend Sprint and their SERO plan.

Click here to read all about SERO and how to sign up for it.

Dang, that's a friggin deal. Me and my mom share a family plan and I think it's 80/month w/o taxes, plus I added unlimited text for $10. I hope that deal is still around when my plan expires.

Dang, that's a friggin deal. Me and my mom share a family plan and I think it's 80/month w/o taxes, plus I added unlimited text for $10. I hope that deal is still around when my plan expires.

you can change to another plan without waiting for your current plan to expire. as long as you stay with them they don't have a problem. also if you work for a large company, some have deals the the cell phone companies where they offer a group discount to anyone working for the company. i get 25% off.

i have sprint. i have no problems with reception. IF you are in a heavily used area (katy freeway), occasionally your call gets rejected but you just repeat the call and it goes through.

i will say that i think their customer service sucks. so as long as i have no problems, i'm ok.

Currently, I'm with Tmobile and I'm on their 2500 Min, Free weekends, free nights and I STILL go over. The only real issue i have with them is Lousy reception at home and poor reception at the airport.

I was thinking about moving to ATT so I can take my phones over with me and maybe use it as leverage or something. But I just haven't had the time.

I tried Verizon and sprint and while the signal is good for the most part, I can't stand their phones and I couldn't bring in phones I purchased.

Verizon - for years, and years. Never had any problems... Virtually all my friends have Sprint... and all I ever hear from them are the problems they have with their reception, many times in their house of all places. If you're in or around the 610 loop you shouldn't have those kinds of problems... I mean - you're in a major city for crying out loud - you should have service... I lived with someone once where you had to stand at a particular spot in the house or you were SOL. It is amazing how we condition ourselves to go to that one spot, when the phone rings or you need to make a call.

Verizon's phone selections have been pretty basic over the years... but the LG Voyager gives the AT&T/iPhone a run for their money, in my view. Now only if they had it in stock...

I'm on Sprint's SERO plan. 500 minutes, unlimited text messages, unlimited downloads for $30/month. I'm EXTREMELY PLEASED with it. Coverage is excellent in my house, and even at work at around 30 stories in the air. I HIGHLY recommend Sprint and their SERO plan.

Click here to read all about SERO and how to sign up for it.

Just read the thread on it. I'm not willing to lie to get it. But if anyone here is a Sprint employee and wants to offer it to me, I'll take it B)

Just read the thread on it. I'm not willing to lie to get it. But if anyone here is a Sprint employee and wants to offer it to me, I'll take it B)

Great info so far. Let's keep the tread rolling. Sero sounds like a good deal and you may not have to lie - just honestly tell them you've heard about it and ask them if you can get it.

I've heard about even better (for some) deal. Plan is FC2396. It's unlimitted calls and internet for 2 lines family plan. See http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/topic.php?...keyword1=sprint for details.

I have at&t and have had them since they were Houston Cellular. They are more expensive but I very rarely have problems with coverage. I have friends with Sprint and Cricket and all I have heard from them is how bad their coverage is. Verizons coverage is about the same as at&t in the Houston area but from what I have seen at&t works better in the rural areas between Houston and Austin.

I have Sprint and only have problems when I'm in the house. I have to talk near a window if I wanna stay inside.

One con may be a problem w/ my phone, not sure. I must get $5 unlimited internet to send pictures. I didn't have a camera phone before, but I used to just be charged per my usage.

Sprint blows... One of my friends talks to me but it sounds like windows media player back on 56k. Sometimes he sounds like he's talking through a can.(Yeah he has a new Palm.) I've had T-mobile for years, I pay $65 for 2 lines, unlimited internet, text, free lD roaming. I've been to Canada and Mexico and no problems. Plus no stupid "$15 to activate your new phone on your same line." I can switch phones at will. I can change phones, like underwear :)

I'm happy with Sprint. Had them for 8 years now. Have had about 6 different phones over the years and I would suggest that the sound problem experiences are the equipment not the service. Many times that can be solved with a firmware upgrade. I now have a HTC Mogul PDA running Win Mobile 6 with the unlimited data and I can use it to stream XM Radio via internet explorer (like you would on a desktop) without having to buy another XM Device. I connect it up to my car stereo and I use it a work with headphones so the network traffic police at my office don't blame me for slowing down our crappy network.

I am with Cricket. Why? I rarely travel outside of the Houston area, coverage is really great and so not a lot of dropped calls and the prices.

I have UNLIMITED voice, messaging, and picture messaging for about $54/month total. I never think about minutes and I am sure I use more than I could pay for on other providers.

That said, it is my main telephone, but I know Cricket does not make sense for travelers.

That said, it is my main telephone, but I know Cricket does not make sense for travelers.

I want to get rid of my cell and just have vonage at home. And get a beeper/texting device that costs 5 or 10 bucks a month.

I know I don't have to answer, but I don't like the idea of people thinking I need to answer their every call, whatever I'm doing.

I'm a long-time T-Mobile customer, and generally very happy with them. Whenever I've needed to call, the hold periods have been short, they don't use call centers outsourced to other countries, and their customer service representatives have been exceptionally friendly. I also find their prices to be quite competitive -- I pay (well, technically my employer pays) just over $100/month for 1,050 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited data to my phone through BlackBerry Enterprise Server, unlimited text messaging, and unlimited wi-fi hot spot access. Their coverage has improved substantially since I started my service with them in 2001 (back when it was Voicestream Wireless) and it's rare I'm in an area where my phone doesn't work these days. That's good since I travel every week for work. My phone has always worked flawlessly in foreign countries too, including all over Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

My one and only complaint with T-Mobile is the current lack of 3G service in the US, but a contact I have within their management assures me it will be here by year-end.

I want to get rid of my cell and just have vonage at home. And get a beeper/texting device that costs 5 or 10 bucks a month.

I know I don't have to answer, but I don't like the idea of people thinking I need to answer their every call, whatever I'm doing.

I really hate that too ... I got into a heated debate with several peoplel about them thinking because I carry a mobile phone, that they SHOULD be able to get in touch with me at any time.

It is still my right to be able to answer a call ... or not.

I really hate that too ... I got into a heated debate with several peoplel about them thinking because I carry a mobile phone, that they SHOULD be able to get in touch with me at any time.

Ditto. I ALWAYS look to see who is calling. If its a client, I pick up. If its a friend, it can usually wait and it drives my friends crazy. they go particularly nuts when I tell them NOT to leave me a voice mail. WHY leave a VMX if it isn't important and I'm going to call back (usually) less than half an hour later?

I never answer my phone--mobile or home--unless I know who is calling. Even then I frequently don't answer. People criticize me too because they feel I should answer when they call, but I tell them that I pay for the phone and that gives me right not to answer it and that if they feel I have to answer their calls, then they are free to pay my phone bill. That usually ends the discussion.

I never answer my phone--mobile or home--unless I know who is calling. Even then I frequently don't answer. People criticize me too because they feel I should answer when they call, but I tell them that I pay for the phone and that gives me right not to answer it and that if they feel I have to answer their calls, then they are free to pay my phone bill. That usually ends the discussion.

LOL.

Reminds me of the time I was with a friend, I looked at the number and instantly picked it up (a client). She said, "You never pick up the phone that quick when I call." My response: "That's because HE (pointing at phone) helps pay my phone bill!"

Thank god I had no intention of dating her.

I carry multiple phones. Two of them are with my primary provider, T-Mobile. Great rate plans, very good customer service, I have four other lines with them for family members. I also carry a Boost pre-paid phone for 2-way communication with contractors who tend to use nextel. They can hide from the phone, but not from the beep-beep. Finally, I have a cricket phone. The phone is trash, but for $40, it works. Cricket is ideal for employees as they cannot run the bill up. I do recommend getting one of their nicer phones though as the cheap ones have a lot of interference on them.

I really prefer T-Mobile. They are as close as one can get to the entire package.

I'm with gwilson, I really love T-Mobile. I miss them, as I switched to AT&T for the iPhone.

AT&T's rates aren't too bad, especially with all the carriers offering all-you-can-eat talk and text these days. But T-Mobile's plans were always just a little bit cheaper, especially when it came to data. Also, T-Mobile's customer service was beyond excellent. I was really sad to leave them. I can't compare it to AT&T's customer service because iPhone users get different reps than regular phone users, but I've been satisfied with the two times I've had to call.

The only downside of T-Mobile was the poor phone selection. Unless you wanted a Sidekick or some kind of ghetto bling machine there wasn't much to offer. Maybe that's changed in the last eight months, but T-Mobile didn't really take businesses seriously.

Oh, and Jeebus, GSM is an asset, not a liability. That's why Verizon is moving to GSM.

Archived