Washington, D.c.

• 1 month later...

Great pictures. I've never been in the LoC, but always wanted to. I've often thought I might retire to the DC area just so I could spend my waning years in there.

BTW, good job with the Capitol picture -- that lawn's been through Hell the last couple of years and it's hard to make it look good.

Great pictures. I've never been in the LoC, but always wanted to. I've often thought I might retire to the DC area just so I could spend my waning years in there.

BTW, good job with the Capitol picture -- that lawn's been through Hell the last couple of years and it's hard to make it look good.

Thanks! I'm glad I could get that shot with the Christmas tree, especially considering that the other side of the Capitol is really yucky looking right now with construction.

How was the Native American museum... is the gold-clad sculpture from there? It was being built, I think, the last time I was in DC...

I hate to say it but I was disappointed. I really thought it was going to be much better. Granted I know very, very little about Native American culture, but I just thought it could have been more comprehensive. That building is beautiful but I feel like they wasted a lot of space with the atrium. There were some cool things like the Washington and Native Americans statue, and some beautiful Native artwork, but overall I'd give the museum a C at best.

I went to DC the second week of January. I was pissed that the American History Museum is closed. But I enjoyed the visit immensely.

That's when I was there! Yeah, I was bummed about that, too. My mom said that museum was her favorite in D.C. But I was lucky to see a few pieces of Americana that they had on display at the Air and Space museum. These items included Lincoln's stovepipe hat, Washington's military uniform (he was a tall dude) and perhaps most significantly, the Puffy Shirt from Seinfeld.

"I'm not a pirate!"

:)

That's when I was there! Yeah, I was bummed about that, too. My mom said that museum was her favorite in D.C. But I was lucky to see a few pieces of Americana that they had on display at the Air and Space museum. These items included Lincoln's stovepipe hat, Washington's military uniform (he was a tall dude) and perhaps most significantly, the Puffy Shirt from Seinfeld.

I did catch the display at the Air and Space Museum. It was the highlight of my trip. Also really cool there were Dorothy's ruby slippers, the desk on which Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, R2D2 and C3PO, Ben Franklin's cane. I am definitely going back to catch the full museum when it reopens.

BTW, anyone remember the traveling Smithsonian exhibit that came to the George R Brown about ten years ago? They brought a few selections from some of the museums. The thing I remember most is the Tucker car. Only 51 were ever produced before the Big 3 had him shut down. It looked sweet.

Absolutely awesome subway system, too. I was there for five days and never got into a car.

Yeah, it's carpeted. What's up with that? Only city I've been to with carpeted subway cars.

As a tourist, if you fly into DCA, you never need to rent a car.

Yeah, it's carpeted. What's up with that? Only city I've been to with carpeted subway cars.

And they stay relatively clean. The Metro cops have a strict zero tolerance policy against smoking, eating and drinking in the cars and stations.

My mom said that museum was her favorite in D.C. But I was lucky to see a few pieces of Americana that they had on display at the Air and Space museum. These items included Lincoln's stovepipe hat, Washington's military uniform (he was a tall dude) and perhaps most significantly, the Puffy Shirt from Seinfeld.

they always have such interesting americana. i remember the last time i was there they had several duke ellington original scores and the contents of lincoln's pockets when he was assassinated.

I did catch the display at the Air and Space Museum. It was the highlight of my trip. Also really cool there were Dorothy's ruby slippers, the desk on which Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, R2D2 and C3PO, Ben Franklin's cane. I am definitely going back to catch the full museum when it reopens.

BTW, anyone remember the traveling Smithsonian exhibit that came to the George R Brown about ten years ago? They brought a few selections from some of the museums. The thing I remember most is the Tucker car. Only 51 were ever produced before the Big 3 had him shut down. It looked sweet.

We took the kids to Air and Space last year. I was disappointed. I thought the displays were about 30 years old. I don't think that museum has been updated in years. They took a really interesting subject and made it pretty boring. Old-school display cases full of stuff with no narrative. Even the models of the planets hadn't been updated... Pluto was there as a planet, not a dwarf planet, and Eris was missing altogether. My four-year-old knows more about planets than that display did.

Absolutely awesome subway system, too. I was there for five days and never got into a car.

Of course, it's easier when the feds paid for nearly all of it.

It was a pretty nice system, but does anybody know why it's so dark in there? Are they saving power or trying to keep people calm or what?

We took the kids to Air and Space last year. I was disappointed. I thought the displays were about 30 years old. I don't think that museum has been updated in years. They took a really interesting subject and made it pretty boring. Old-school display cases full of stuff with no narrative. Even the models of the planets hadn't been updated... Pluto was there as a planet, not a dwarf planet, and Eris was missing altogether. My four-year-old knows more about planets than that display did.

Maybe, but I really liked how they had SpaceShipOne hanging right next to the Spirit of St. Louis. I just thought that was interesting to have two such groundbreaking crafts so close to each other that way.

• 3 months later...

Did you try the Udvar-Hazy out by Dulles?

Archived