Moving To Klein Area

kaykaygirl

Hello, all. This is my first post on the forum.

I am thinking of moving to the Klein area. However after reading some of your posts, I am concerned about how my family and I would be treated if we moved to the area.

I am an african-american female, in my early thirties, college educated and currently work in the natural gas industry. However grew up in a very low income neighborhood in the northeast side of Houston (think Northline area). I feel if I moved to the area, my family would be viewed as everything that is currently going wrong in the area. And we would only be continuing to bring these "once-great" neighborhoods down. I don't really care what people may think; but I am concerned about how people would treat us.

Not really me, but since my sister and my two tweenage nephews are moving with me, I am concerned about how the children would be treated. I have been the object of prejudice in the past and it is not an experience that I welcome upon them.

I am looking for an intelligent discussion, not an argument. I just want some inside information from current residents.

Thanks!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for one, welcome to the forum! we like everybody.

i would really be disappointed if i thought there were klein neighborhoods who did not lay out the welcome mat for any new family. same goes for the woodlands (i live in the woodlands). hopefully, someone on the forum will have some good info for you.

good luck with your home search.

considering the context of the original post, your term "warts and all" could be misconstrued.

Let me further elaborate. I come here and read post after post of comments about how bad FM 1960 is, how bad the Willowbrook area is. I moved here in 2005 and bought a house here this year so I don't find it as bad or distasteful as others have.

I tend to like areas with character!

Problems as people make it seem. If you stay on this newsgroup a bit, you see that a lot of bashing of the 1960 area goes on.

Well I have read some of the posts and that is where my concern is coming from.

I didn't read the posts as bashing the area as much as bashing the upstarts who have moved there and are now (supposedly) ruining the area.

Well I have read some of the posts and that is where my concern is coming from.

I didn't read the posts as bashing the area as much as bashing the upstarts who have moved there and are now (supposedly) ruining the area.

I'm an upstart out here... how am I ruining the area?

Many people find it cheaper to move out here to North Houston/Spring/Klein because we can afford to buy a house here (something increasingly difficult in the city) and the area has some pretty decent schools (from what I know ... we don't have kids).

I'm just saying people move to where they can afford and base their decisions on what's best for them. Don't follow the threads here that make it seem like everyone who moves out this way is bad

We (recent transplants) are not all some poor ecapees from the city and not all of us have criminal records.

I'm an upstart out here... how am I ruining the area?

Many people find it cheaper to move out here to North Houston/Spring/Klein because we can afford to buy a house here (something increasingly difficult in the city) and the area has some pretty decent schools (from what I know ... we don't have kids).

I'm just saying people move to where they can afford and base their decisions on what's best for them. Don't follow the threads here that make it seem like everyone who moves out this way is bad

We (recent transplants) are not all some poor ecapees from the city and not all of us have criminal records.

Okay calm down. It appears you may have misunderstood my original post. I was asking if I would face any prejudice out here because I am:

a) non-Caucasian

B) African-American

c) from an poorer background

When I read posts of the area, all I see are people bashing the people that have moved to North Houston/Spring/Klein, saying they are the reason the area is on the decline (I personally don't feel the area is on the decline). I don't want to be the object of their frustration, especially since I would be moving to the area with two tween age children. I don't want my nephews being treated badly because people are prejudiced.

So my post was not to bash anyone, I was simply asking if I would face any problems in the area since I do not share a similar background of people originally lived in the area. I am currently looking at a homes in Greenwood Forest and the surrounding subdivisions.

I think you should be fine. I went to Klein Oak, and I don't see color. You seem like a standup person. I see no reason why you would not be treated with respect. If anything, with your fine representation, you'd be lifting up the neighborhood.

Okay calm down. It appears you may have misunderstood my original post. I was asking if I would face any prejudice out here because I am:

a) non-Caucasian

B) African-American

When I read posts of the area, all I see are people bashing the people that have moved to North Houston/Spring/Klein, saying they are the reason the area is on the decline (I personally don't feel the area is on the decline). I don't want to be the object of their frustration, especially since I would be moving to the area with two tween age children. I don't want my nephews being treated badly because people are prejudiced.

So my post was not to bash anyone, I was simply asking if I would face any problems in the area since I do not share a similar background of people originally lived in the area. I am currently looking at a homes in Greenwood Forest and the surrounding subdivisions.

I'm fit into several of your categories too and I have not been mistreated or in any way slighted out here because I am black. But I will pose this thought ... we ALL have prejudices of some kind. It's how that prejudice is manifested where the problems occur. I could care less what people think of me, it's when they DO something to me where the problems start.

I think if you like the area, the schools, the houses, the neighborhood, you and your family will be fine.

it's when they DO something to me where the problems start.

Exactly. I am not concerned about what people say, but what they do. That is why I posted.

Some of the posts I read were pretty bad, and I wanted to make sure that the vibes I was feeling from the message boards were not the prevailing behavior in the neighborhoods.

Exactly. I am not concerned about what people say, but what they do. That is why I posted.

Some of the posts I read were pretty bad, and I wanted to make sure that the vibes I was feeling from the message boards were not the prevailing behavior in the neighborhoods.

You've got to put all of these posts into perspective. First, this is a microcosm of society. You are only getting 1,000 or so people (and only about 50-100 that post regularly/daily). So it is a kind of warped view.

The people that post here are vocal and impassioned, but we don't represent all the segments of 'society' or most neighborhoods than do the people you see interviewed on the news. They/we just happen to have their voices heard.

When people refer to "new folks" causing the area to decline, they are generally referring to the explosion of apartment complexes and the lower-income people that inhabit them.

It's not about what they look like.

It's about what they do.

When people refer to "new folks" causing the area to decline, they are generally referring to the explosion of apartment complexes and the lower-income people that inhabit them.

It's not about what they look like.

It's about what they do.

CDeb is right on target with the last post. A website that you may want to check out would be http://www.greatschools.net/

It is very interesting to hear what the community - including students and teachers have to say about the schools for the neighborhoods that you are considering.

a) non-Caucasian

B) African-American

KayKayGirl,

As a Greenwood Forest homeowner myself I would welcome you and your family to the community. I would prefer to have a wonderful neighbor that took pride in their home and neighborhood than to have a closed minded and ignorant neighbor that lived like a slob. We have 3 African-American families on my street who maintain beautiful homes and I'm proud to have them as neighbors. These homes look better than they did when the caucasian families owned them.

Sounds like you are a North Forest alum......Forest Brook?

I grew up on the southwest side close to Missouri City so I know firsthand how areas can change but I know what your experiencing as I moved to the NW Side in 2002 and watched the demographic shifts...

if you have so many concerns you do better moving somewhere that's brand new with no identity or move somewhere that's already diverse off Veterans Memorial as Acres Home has basically extended up that street anyway.....

when it's all said and done whites are always going to move at first "threat" of change....history has proven that in Houston as alot of the wards were white. then they moved right outside the loop, then outside the beltway and now way out past the Grand Parkway...blacks then follow as hispanics move in..

I spent a few years in the NW burbs, and all I have to say is that the people that are saying AA's from a poor background (now making it mind you) are bringing the neighborhood down, are white people from a poor background, finally making it. They get a little money and now they are big stuff. :wacko:

So there you go. Laugh at them and move on.

Archived