Moving To Klein Area

kaykaygirl

I have lived in the Spring-Klein for the majority of my life. It is true that the area is becoming more ethnic in every facet. But, the Klein community has dealt with it very well, with very little complaints from the residents or the migrators. The community you are moving into is a very accepting and welcoming community even in spite of wealth status.

you'll love it

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't move into a house in the klein Forest atendence zone

Please don't listen to this person ... I live in the KF attendance zone and for every "scary" story I hear about Klein Forest, I can share with a story about someone's child who attdended KF and is now at SMU, Princeton, Notre Dame, Harvard etc. or was able to get into any Texas school they wanted to attend.

Yes, KF is diverse and there are socio-economic challenges, but you can't beat their Fine Arts (it won several Tommy Tune awards last year, even beating out our "sainted" Klein High in a few categories and have won the Grammy Awards for music in the past)

I have two children at Wunderlich right now who are headed to KF. I had heard all of the "scary" stories about Wunderlich before my kids went there. Wow... how scary is this.. they have the largest middle-school orchestra in the whole Klein ISD district; they have some wonderful new programs like AVID, which they get because they are an "evil" Title I school (woo hoo). For every middle-school horror story about Wunderlich, I can share with you equally scray stories from Doerre or Kleb.

If you want your children to attend a racially diverse school where the children wear standardized dress and there is less peer pressure to "fit in" -- Wunderlich is your school because there is no all-white majority; my children are white and I repeatedly ask them how they like it. THEY LOVE IT. Their friends are Indian/Asain/Hispanic/Black and yes, white.

Revealing my utter nerdness, but here's an interesting KF story.

When I was at Westfield, I was on the academic quiz team (remember the Texaco Star Academic Challenges on TV in the 90's?? I don't know if they still do those).

Anyway, you had to win a "mall match" in Town & Country Mall before you could have a televised match. We had an awesome team at Westfield that year. In our mall match, we annihilated the High School for Health Professionals, which at the time was regarded as HSID's best magnet school.

Our TV match was against Klein Forest (which had a much worse reputation than Westfield in those days). KF kicked the ever lovin' crap out of us. It was really ugly.

Please don't listen to this person ... I live in the KF attendance zone and for every "scary" story I hear about Klein Forest, I can share with a story about someone's child who attdended KF and is now at SMU, Princeton, Notre Dame, Harvard etc. or was able to get into any Texas school they wanted to attend.

Yes, KF is diverse and there are socio-economic challenges, but you can't beat their Fine Arts (it won several Tommy Tune awards last year, even beating out our "sainted" Klein High in a few categories and have won the Grammy Awards for music in the past)

I have two children at Wunderlich right now who are headed to KF. I had heard all of the "scary" stories about Wunderlich before my kids went there. Wow... how scary is this.. they have the largest middle-school orchestra in the whole Klein ISD district; they have some wonderful new programs like AVID, which they get because they are an "evil" Title I school (woo hoo). For every middle-school horror story about Wunderlich, I can share with you equally scray stories from Doerre or Kleb.

I was at Doerre, and the 8th grade principal (Mr. Allen) was creepy.

).

I was refering to the acadimics of KFHS.

2006 ratings this is the most recent I could find.

2005 ratings

2004 ratings

2003 ratings

I was at Doerre, and I admit the 8th grade principal (Mr. Allen) was creepy.

He is a fast runner( I speek from experiance).

2003 ratings

Just like I wouldn't judge the quality of your high school education by your poor spelling -- I would suggest that test scores do not necessarily offer a complete picture of any school. :mellow:

I was at Doerre, and I admit the 8th grade principal (Mr. Allen) was creepy.

He is a fast runner( I speek from experiance).

Each time I read one of your posts I want to reach for a red pen!

If you want your children to attend a racially diverse school where the children wear standardized dress and there is less peer pressure to "fit in" -- Wunderlich is your school because there is no all-white majority; my children are white and I repeatedly ask them how they like it. THEY LOVE IT. Their friends are Indian/Asain/Hispanic/Black and yes, white.

I'd have to disagree. I have subsitute taught at the different high schools in KISD, and Klein Forest is not a place I would want to send my kid. The learning environment there is shockingly different than it is at the more northerly schools.

When did Klein Forest High School when a Grammy award?

When did Klein Forest High School when a Grammy award?

I like the thinly-veiled "learning environment" comment ... yes, if you get the daily, KleINTouch from the school district you'll notice that environment is generating the kind of students who have pretty much cleaned up when in comes to Scholastic Writing Awards, FreedeomTrek awards and they even did well in the recent Academic Decathalon.

To your question, Klein Forest has won seven or more Grammy Foundation awards (from what I can find with a quick Google check) and are finalists for another one this year. I believe Klein Oak won last year. Here are some links from this decade if you'd like to check:

They won the big award -- National Signature School in 2003http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/0403/

2004http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/051304/met_933085.shtml 2005http://www.arkmea.org/announcements/Danville.htm 2006http://www.grammy.com/PressReleases/272_251_2006GSS.pdfhttp://brookcntr.k12.mn.us/bchs/bchsbcbandawardinfo.html

I saw that article.....developers are getting extra greedy now....just by them going all the way into Tomball at first to do that says alot...but where is it exactly in Tomball?

money is blind and we wonder why there's a thing called white flight....if this project is successful, a large amount of folks will move out so far away no telling what will come out of this..

I'm black and I think a project of this magnitude would fare better in Acres Homes or NE Houston near Homestead as the land is available and both areas would love to add the taxbase...it would also repopulate those areas and the surrounding school systems...

putting a project out there makes no sense as it causes you to rely heavily on the busline and it creates a tension at the first hint of a crime related to the area

Hello, all. This is my first post on the forum.

I am thinking of moving to the Klein area. However after reading some of your posts, I am concerned about how my family and I would be treated if we moved to the area.

I am an african-american female, in my early thirties, college educated and currently work in the natural gas industry. However grew up in a very low income neighborhood in the northeast side of Houston (think Northline area). I feel if I moved to the area, my family would be viewed as everything that is currently going wrong in the area. And we would only be continuing to bring these "once-great" neighborhoods down. I don't really care what people may think; but I am concerned about how people would treat us.

Not really me, but since my sister and my two tweenage nephews are moving with me, I am concerned about how the children would be treated. I have been the object of prejudice in the past and it is not an experience that I welcome upon them.

I am looking for an intelligent discussion, not an argument. I just want some inside information from current residents.

Thanks!

I'm sure you have been keeping up with all the bond election talk, so here's my advice, for what it's worth:

Buy the cheapest house you can find that feeds into Klein High. None of the other high schools get the same quality/type/number of programs and teachers. Their school will be smaller than the others, meaning smaller classes as well. Klein Oak is predicted to grow to between 3500 to almost 5000 students, Klein High will be much smaller, so your kids will get a better educational experience. The board, as I have seen it for almost 15 years, swings whichever way Klein High parents demand, so you definitely want to be part of that group. Go 'Kats!

I'm sure you have been keeping up with all the bond election talk, so here's my advice, for what it's worth:

Buy the cheapest house you can find that feeds into Klein High. None of the other high schools get the same quality/type/number of programs and teachers. Their school will be smaller than the others, meaning smaller classes as well. Klein Oak is predicted to grow to between 3500 to almost 5000 students, Klein High will be much smaller, so your kids will get a better educational experience. The board, as I have seen it for almost 15 years, swings whichever way Klein High parents demand, so you definitely want to be part of that group. Go 'Kats!

Is someone bitter? ^_^

Sorry pineda, couldn't resist.

Bitter, maybe? Realistic, more likely!

A couple of examples:

The last two years, Klein Oak has gone to the playoffs in football. Klein High didn't even make it to round one this year. Yet, at the end of the year, Klein High had far more of their athletes sign with universities with scholarships than Oak. The athletes from Oak were just as academically qualified as the ones from Klein.

The last two years, Klein Oak has had the highly-touted International Baccalaureate Programme at their school, which means all the participants in it come from the other high schools as well as Oak. You would think this would mean that Oak would have a lot of academic talent, since the I.B. kids are ranked with the Oak kids, not their own home schools. Yet, this year, Oak had not one National Merit Scholarship finalist. I think Klein High had between 5-10 of them.

Klein High consistenly participates in and consistently wins Academic Decathlons held annually. Oak was not even mentioned this year as a participant. Klein High's parking lots are full after school, Oak's are empty, do the math.

You want your kid to have the best possible "educational experience" in Klein ISD? Send them to Klein High. Forget Klein Oak, Klein Forest and Klein Collins. We aren't even on the same level as the "darling of the district", Klein High.

As one parent told me recently, "It means something when you tell someone you graduated from Klein High."

Bitter, maybe? Realistic, more likely!

A couple of examples:

The last two years, Klein Oak has gone to the playoffs in football. Klein High didn't even make it to round one this year. Yet, at the end of the year, Klein High had far more of their athletes sign with universities with scholarships than Oak. The athletes from Oak were just as academically qualified as the ones from Klein.

The last two years, Klein Oak has had the highly-touted International Baccalaureate Programme at their school, which means all the participants in it come from the other high schools as well as Oak. You would think this would mean that Oak would have a lot of academic talent, since the I.B. kids are ranked with the Oak kids, not their own home schools. Yet, this year, Oak had not one National Merit Scholarship finalist. I think Klein High had between 5-10 of them.

Klein High consistenly participates in and consistently wins Academic Decathlons held annually. Oak was not even mentioned this year as a participant. Klein High's parking lots are full after school, Oak's are empty, do the math.

You want your kid to have the best possible "educational experience" in Klein ISD? Send them to Klein High. Forget Klein Oak, Klein Forest and Klein Collins. We aren't even on the same level as the "darling of the district", Klein High.

As one parent told me recently, "It means something when you tell someone you graduated from Klein High."

I was teasing you. But the examples you mention do not point to district favoritism. Colleges signing athletes to scholarships... that's between the college and the student. I don't really see why the two schools' football success is that relevant here, since Klein tends to do best in other sports besides football.

I'm not sure why having the IB program would indicate that Klein Oak has a lot of academic talent. As for all the extra-curricular programs like Decathlon, this comes from teachers who are motivated in starting them and students interested in joining them. Nothing the district decides.

In the world of education, it takes longer for the new guy to catch up than in just about anything else. It takes time for a culture to develop... at Klein I had teachers who had taught there for over twenty years, and when you teach in a place for that long, you can develop things like extra-curriculars that new teachers can't.

And honestly, it may mean something in North Houston to have graduated from Klein High, but in the rest of the world, it's pretty much meaningless. No one I knew in Chicago had heard of Klein, and very few people here in Dallas have. Don't be so down.

I was teasing you. But the examples you mention do not point to district favoritism. Colleges signing athletes to scholarships... that's between the college and the student. I don't really see why the two schools' football success is that relevant here, since Klein tends to do best in other sports besides football.

I'm not sure why having the IB program would indicate that Klein Oak has a lot of academic talent. As for all the extra-curricular programs like Decathlon, this comes from teachers who are motivated in starting them and students interested in joining them. Nothing the district decides.

In the world of education, it takes longer for the new guy to catch up than in just about anything else. It takes time for a culture to develop... at Klein I had teachers who had taught there for over twenty years, and when you teach in a place for that long, you can develop things like extra-curriculars that new teachers can't.

And honestly, it may mean something in North Houston to have graduated from Klein High, but in the rest of the world, it's pretty much meaningless. No one I knew in Chicago had heard of Klein, and very few people here in Dallas have. Don't be so down.

I specifically mentioned football because Klein Oak went to the playoffs two years in a row, and yet Klein High signed more football players than Oak both years. That was but one example.

Having the IB program should indicate that Klein Oak has a lot of academic talent as it is touted as a very rigorous course of study that would seem to draw the very best scholars the district has to offer.

How long will Oak be considered as the "new guy" in your mind? We've been there over 20 years already. Many of our teachers have been there that long. When does being the "new guy" stop being used as an excuse for not having the same quality of teaching programs available at Oak that Klein High has?

When Klein Collins opened, Oak lost a lot of very good teachers and programs. That has not happened at Klein High.

I have always asked that the programs and the teaching abilities be evenly distributed at all the high schools, but they seem to be overly concentrated at Klein High, hence the consistent Academic Decathlon titles.

And, honestly, I totally agree with you that in the real world, to brag about having graduated from Klein High would seem pretty meaningless, but within the Klein district, it does seem to mean something.

My child graduates Klein Oak this year and will go on to a major university in the state and I'm proud of her and what she has been able to accomplish.

Yet, at the same time, I think there is a difference between succeeding IN SPITE of Klein High having better teachers and programs, and succeeding BECAUSE Klein High has better teachers and programs.

Because the person who started this thread was asking about the Klein schools, I thought it best to advise them that because we all pay the same tax rate in Klein ISD, that it would be in their child's best interest to go to the best possible place and get the best possible education, which as everyone in Klein ISD knows, IS the darling of the district, Klein High.

Hey, did I mention that they're getting a brand-new school? Yeah, the superintendent didn't even base that decision on any published engineering reports, he just said he felt "it was time". Go Kats, go! Move into Klein High zone & be the best!

2007 High School Rankings list by the Children At Risk group

Klein High - Tier One - 19

Klein Collins - Tier One - 26

Klein Oak - Tier Two - 40

Klein Forest - Tier Three - 73

Is someone bitter?

Sorry pineda, couldn't resist.

No, H-Town Man, don't apologize, you're absolutely right! Klein High is DA BOMB! If you want the absolute best education for your children within Klein ISD, move into a neighborhood that is zoned to Klein High, you can't do any better than that!

Thank goodness Dr. Cain and the Klein ISD school board have the good insight to know this fact and are currently pushing a gigantic bond election that will help build a new and much better-looking "flagship" school for the Klein High students.

Finally, all the Klein High parents can stop their whining and complaining that although they already have the best programs and teachers, that their school looked like a P.O.S. compared to Klein Collins. Now, they will truly have the best of everything! I'm pretty sure the drawings for the new and improved Klein High will beat anything they have over at Klein Collins.

I specifically mentioned football because Klein Oak went to the playoffs two years in a row, and yet Klein High signed more football players than Oak both years. That was but one example.

Having the IB program should indicate that Klein Oak has a lot of academic talent as it is touted as a very rigorous course of study that would seem to draw the very best scholars the district has to offer.

How long will Oak be considered as the "new guy" in your mind? We've been there over 20 years already. Many of our teachers have been there that long. When does being the "new guy" stop being used as an excuse for not having the same quality of teaching programs available at Oak that Klein High has?

When Klein Collins opened, Oak lost a lot of very good teachers and programs. That has not happened at Klein High.

I have always asked that the programs and the teaching abilities be evenly distributed at all the high schools, but they seem to be overly concentrated at Klein High, hence the consistent Academic Decathlon titles.

And, honestly, I totally agree with you that in the real world, to brag about having graduated from Klein High would seem pretty meaningless, but within the Klein district, it does seem to mean something.

My child graduates Klein Oak this year and will go on to a major university in the state and I'm proud of her and what she has been able to accomplish.

Yet, at the same time, I think there is a difference between succeeding IN SPITE of Klein High having better teachers and programs, and succeeding BECAUSE Klein High has better teachers and programs.

Because the person who started this thread was asking about the Klein schools, I thought it best to advise them that because we all pay the same tax rate in Klein ISD, that it would be in their child's best interest to go to the best possible place and get the best possible education, which as everyone in Klein ISD knows, IS the darling of the district, Klein High.

Hey, did I mention that they're getting a brand-new school? Yeah, the superintendent didn't even base that decision on any published engineering reports, he just said he felt "it was time". Go Kats, go! Move into Klein High zone & be the best!

2007 High School Rankings list by the Children At Risk group

Klein High - Tier One - 19

Klein Collins - Tier One - 26

Klein Oak - Tier Two - 40

Klein Forest - Tier Three - 73

No, H-Town Man, don't apologize, you're absolutely right! Klein High is DA BOMB! If you want the absolute best education for your children within Klein ISD, move into a neighborhood that is zoned to Klein High, you can't do any better than that!

Thank goodness Dr. Cain and the Klein ISD school board have the good insight to know this fact and are currently pushing a gigantic bond election that will help build a new and much better-looking "flagship" school for the Klein High students.

Finally, all the Klein High parents can stop their whining and complaining that although they already have the best programs and teachers, that their school looked like a P.O.S. compared to Klein Collins. Now, they will truly have the best of everything! I'm pretty sure the drawings for the new and improved Klein High will beat anything they have over at Klein Collins.

Wow pineda, I don't think I realized how emotional you are about all this. There's no way I can respond to everything you just said, but as to a couple of things that stuck out...

You said Klein had more "athletes" sign to colleges, not more football players. Hence I questioned why you were just comparing football success. One could of course question why, if Klein had more talented football players (as evidenced by colleges' decisions to recruit them), did they not produce better teams than Klein Oak? Klein Oak must have better coaching! Oh the unfairness! The district should redistribute the coaches immediately!

The IB program doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Sometimes these programs are jumped at by schools who are trying to build themselves up academically. When I was at A&M, the big deal in the English department was that we were a part of the Carnegie Initiative on improving the doctorate. When I was at the University of Chicago, no one ever heard of the Carnegie Initiative. Now which of those two schools has the better English department?

You can't "evenly distribute" programs and teaching abilities around the district. Teachers teach where they want to teach. And programs get started when there is student interest. It's not up to the district to make sure Klein Oak's Academic Decathlon team is as good as Klein's.

You can't "evenly distribute" programs and teaching abilities around the district. Teachers teach where they want to teach. And programs get started when there is student interest. It's not up to the district to make sure Klein Oak's Academic Decathlon team is as good as Klein's.

Really, and I thought that it was up to the district to do exactly that, evenly distribute programs and teaching abilities around the district. Because otherwise, you would have only the best teachers teaching at Klein High, and not at Klein Collins, Klein Oak or Klein Forest. Why would they want to go anywhere else? They can read the reports produced by the TEA and Children at Risk, they wouldn't want to teach anywhere else but Klein.

Programs get started when there is student interest, but how would students find out about these programs in the first place, if they're not there on campus already? Do the students at Klein High show a greater interest in the academic decathlons than students at Klein Collins, Klein Oak or Klein Forest, or is it possibly driven by the teacher sponsoring the activities?

You're so right on all your points, and thank goodness Dr. Cain and the entire Klein school board will be calling for the bond election in May so that Klein High can finally have the elite facilities they deserve for their students and their programs.

I hear Klein Oak and Klein Collins will be gettings wings added on to their overcrowded facilities and that those students will be attending classes in active construction zones, while the Klein High will be moved to a new school to avoid all that. Lucky them!

I wish I could be as happy as you about all this great stuff going on at Klein High, but I'm not, so I will be registering a NO vote when the bond election comes up in May. I guess when you actually have children attending schools in Klein ISD, and you see what you perceive to be constant bias towards whatever Klein High wants, Klein High gets, you tend to get a little emotional, especially considering you're paying the same taxes as people whose kids go to Klein High, but somehow they seem to be getting a little better educational experience for that same amount of money. Yay for the Bearkats like you!

Really, and I thought that it was up to the district to do exactly that, evenly distribute programs and teaching abilities around the district. Because otherwise, you would have only the best teachers teaching at Klein High, and not at Klein Collins, Klein Oak or Klein Forest. Why would they want to go anywhere else? They can read the reports produced by the TEA and Children at Risk, they wouldn't want to teach anywhere else but Klein.

Programs get started when there is student interest, but how would students find out about these programs in the first place, if they're not there on campus already? Do the students at Klein High show a greater interest in the academic decathlons than students at Klein Collins, Klein Oak or Klein Forest, or is it possibly driven by the teacher sponsoring the activities?

You're so right on all your points, and thank goodness Dr. Cain and the entire Klein school board will be calling for the bond election in May so that Klein High can finally have the elite facilities they deserve for their students and their programs.

I hear Klein Oak and Klein Collins will be gettings wings added on to their overcrowded facilities and that those students will be attending classes in active construction zones, while the Klein High will be moved to a new school to avoid all that. Lucky them!

I wish I could be as happy as you about all this great stuff going on at Klein High, but I'm not, so I will be registering a NO vote when the bond election comes up in May. I guess when you actually have children attending schools in Klein ISD, and you see what you perceive to be constant bias towards whatever Klein High wants, Klein High gets, you tend to get a little emotional, especially considering you're paying the same taxes as people whose kids go to Klein High, but somehow they seem to be getting a little better educational experience for that same amount of money. Yay for the Bearkats like you!

Wow, this is starting to get ugly. Ashame, because I always found you a likeable poster. I don't think adding a wing onto a school is the same kind of "active construction zone" as tearing down the heart of the school and rebuilding it, but that might just be my Bearkat bias. And I guess whoever sponsors Academic Decathlon at Klein High should be forcibly moved by the district to Klein Oak just to ensure that all the high schools have parity in their different programs.

The mighty do fall, pineda. Klein won't be ahead forever, and then it will be someone else. Nothing is equal in education. How do you think it feels to be in a high school down the road from Bellaire, or Kingwood, or The Woodlands? Every school has its own mixture of teaching personalities, and sometimes there is just a chemistry that makes a place flourish. Klein Oak is in the upper end of Houston area high schools, and I think your child will have what it takes to succeed at the next level.

Oh, and here's a secret about college: Nothing you did in high school matters whatsoever.

Sorry, H-Town Man, I guess I really shouldn't be that upset with you here; it's the Klein ISD school board and Dr. Cain I'm really upset with. You're just a substitute teacher who graduated from Klein High and Texas A&M and who apparently doesn't care much for Klein Forest. You're not really my problem, you're just handy because you keep sticking up for the people pulling the strings. Why you keep doing that, I'll never know, must be that Bearkat bias at work!

The whole dog-and-pony show that the Klein district used to promote the bond election; the steering committees stacked with administrators and Klein High parents, the little town-hall meetings Dr. Cain used to collect information from the community, the whole thing was orchestrated before it ever began to come to the end it did, which was to call for a bond election in May for almost $650 million dollars. Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

How does it feel to be down the road from Bellaire? I'm pretty sure the same as it feels being down the road from Klein High; is that supposed to make me feel better? It doesn't.

If we pay the same taxes, I think the school board should be a little more concerned with equality and parity for all the students, and the way this bond election was set up does not feel that way.

The Klein ISD school board should have addressed the NEEDS of the district FIRST, which means addressing the overcrowding occurring at most of the schools in this district, not telling residents that because the superintendent felt "it was time" to re-build Klein High, that gets done first. That just doesn't make sense.

Giving laptops to every high schooler in the district also doesn't make sense.

Asking for a bond election of over $500 million dollars right now also doesn't make sense.

The mighty do fall? I've been here 15 years and Klein High always seems to get whatever Klein High wants. Why have one school held on a pedestal over the others, we're all paying the same tax rates for all these schools.

Dr. Cain and the board got what they wanted, a bond election to be called in May for $650 million dollars. Klein High will get what they want out of that and the rest of the schools will continue to be overcrowded.

Sorry, but I'll voting NO to the bond election this time around.

You're just a substitute teacher who graduated from Klein High and Texas A&M and who apparently doesn't care much for Klein Forest.

I'm actually a full time teacher in Dallas now. Love the new sig! But as I tell my students, all quotes should be properly attributed. B)

• 2 months later...

This topic veered way off course.

To bring it back around, I think folks getting up in arms about a Habitat for Humanity build is pretty darn telling. I wouldn't want to live in a place that makes Habitat out to be a bad thing. I also don't think Jesus was a NIMBY.

This topic veered way off course.

To bring it back around, I think folks getting up in arms about a Habitat for Humanity build is pretty darn telling. I wouldn't want to live in a place that makes Habitat out to be a bad thing. I also don't think Jesus was a NIMBY.

I assure you that you would not be pleased with a Habitat neighborhood close to your home. You really need to drive out to their project in Tomball and see for yourself what these neighborhoods look like, in fact most of the wonderful people that participate in building these homes never come back to see what they look like a year or two after they are completed. Would you want to live near a neighborhood without deed restrictions, junk cars parked in the front yard, broken windows and sheets being used as curtains and used appliances in the front yard? While home ownership may be the American Dream not every American is cut out to maintain a home nor do they understand that owning a home goes well beyond simply paying a mortgage.

Habitat for Humanity organizations operate like a franchise and each one is different, I would say that for the most part most of them are doing this for the greater good of society, while others display an arrogance and lack of concern for the neighborhoods around them. I too believed that all Habitat for Humanity organizations were the same and I also believe that they were all good, my eyes have really been opened as I've learned more about this particular organization and have attended the various meetings. Again, don't simply take my word for it drive out to Cherie Cove and look for yourself and then ask yourself if this is something that you want close to your home?

Motto, I'll try to be gentle for you are young and do not have much experience. Are you saying that Jesus loves Klein best because the parents are committed to their children and are organized? What does that say about poor people? The children of people with poor parenting skills? Do they love their children less if they are at work and just can not make the meeting? Does having a bigger house make one a better person? What about the people in my 83 house subdivision. We all pay more school taxes than all of the school board members and Dr. Cain. Your theory would put us at Klein but we are at Forest. Our subdivision is like a mini U N. We are people from all over the world. Drs. Lawyers, Merchants and a few CFO's. We also have a custodian and a postal employee. We represent all major religions, politics and sexual orientations, and combinations of marriages. We live together in peace. Our only quarrel is with your squeaky wheel getting the grease idea. Long before Brown vs. Board it was common knowledge in the East Texas that the school districts were screwing the poor and minorities seven ways from Sunday. People who pay attention know that it is still happening. Klein ISD is a major player. Why else would they put in an IB school and tell people who can't afford to get themselves to Oak, tough luck. It's 22 miles from Inwood to Oak. Klein ISD could have open enrollment like NYC and many other communities tomorrow. All of us who are zoned to the 113 rated school in the county could go anywhere. Our property values would not be in the toilet, and we'd produce more revenue for the district

Many places in the US fund education differently than Texas. Texas has been run by developers for so long that the citizens who have not lived elsewhere cannot see the problems. Many municipalities require developers to up front money for schools. I lived in one school district in Mo. who told an apartment developer that ,yes, they could build their apartment complex but it had better never have more than 8 students in it because that's all the money it was throwing off. Many counties put in roads and water where the development needs to go. I'm just saying that we need to revisit the way things are done in Texas.

Counties in Texas are a disenfranchised no man's land. That's the way the establishment wants it. That way, no body can be held accountable for anything. This uncontrolled development could be stopped tomorrow if the school districts said "I've had enough". There are other ways to fund growth. There are other ways to control growth. I've lived in Houston nearly all of my life. The 1960, Cypress Creek area is the same now as it was in 1974. If people feel they have more than there share of low income residents, it can be stopped. The problem in Houston is greed. These growth people only care about schools, traffic, flooding as it impacts their income. Nobody in Champions Forest gave a da-- about adding cars out here till it was on their street. Why do so any people in Klein ISD think that the distrct loves KHS best? When the thought is sooo prevalent in all areas, income and on all levels there is a problem. Some people just deny the elephant in the living room.

BTW. I know 2 of the Forest people who did not attend many meetings. One told Dr. Cain he would not participate if he was expected to be a yes man, the other only cares about what goes on inside her own house, getting her kids into a good school. She made it, so everybody else is on their own. She also a pretty good suck up if it will advance her kid.

Archived