Buffalo Heights District: Mixed-Use Development At 100 Waugh Dr.

Ross

A light at Feagan really would fix any access issues and would help Waugh work better anyway. This section is treated like a freeway interchange right now, and that really does need to be fixed.

There's definitely plenty of room here, but calling it Midtown makes me wonder if this is actually the right site. Although I have no idea how someone would accidentally write "Waugh."

Right site and yes, this area is technically considered Midtown from a CRE classification perspective.

• Like 1

i wish this and more developments along Memorial and Allen had bayou access. maybe they will build a pedestrian bridge from this development across Memorial to the bayou/park? something like that seems like a key linkage for a site like this that is cut off from the bayou.

• Like 1

i wish this and more developments along Memorial and Allen had bayou access. maybe they will build a pedestrian bridge from this development across Memorial to the bayou/park? something like that seems like a key linkage for a site like this that is cut off from the bayou.

There's a pedestrian bridge right there at Jackson Hill.  It's a little hard to imagine how they would get one much closer to this development, given the Waugh/Memorial intersection.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

More mixed-used along the lines of City Centre coming?

I certainly hope so. This would push, maybe even SHOVE, the area into becoming a great urban destination... and will definitely effect other things surrounding it. I am hoping for a little height and alot of density.

• Like 1

I think Midway also owns and manages apartment buildings, so I'm not sure there's really much reason to be super excited about this

I think there may be reason... there has been some talk of this complex being due for redevelopment, as the density that was built in the late 90's is low for that piece of land in today's market. They have already redeveloped the southwest quadrant of the site with 4 story and garage (vs. 2-3 story and surface parking), and the rest of it does not seem long for this world. It will be interesting to see whether Midway redevelops this as a retail development like City Centre or if they do a stacked mixed-use that would bring real urbanism to the Washington & Heights intersection.

• Like 1

I think there may be reason... there has been some talk of this complex being due for redevelopment, as the density that was built in the late 90's is low for that piece of land in today's market. They have already redeveloped the southwest quadrant of the site with 4 story and garage (vs. 2-3 story and surface parking), and the rest of it does not seem long for this world. It will be interesting to see whether Midway redevelops this as a retail development like City Centre or if they do a stacked mixed-use that would bring real urbanism to the Washington & Heights intersection.

Used to live here a few years back. Even at that time, there was talk of the complex being torn down in sections and rebuilt (and that word came from complex management). Now with newer and better units available next door and across the tracks at Walmart Village, it maybe time for them to keep up with the rest of the neighborhood. I think the complex will finally meets its date with the wrecking ball.

Edited by tigereye

So if they tear down all 556 units and replace them in kind, what kind of development would this be (and is it even cost-effective to tear down 556 just to get the same 556 in a different building)?

Not sure why they would do that. This is roughly equivalent to, what, five or six blocks? 

Just to put that in context, here are some apartment counts for buildings going up on a single block downtown:

Alliance, 5 stories: 207

Skyhouse. 24 stories: 336

Allied, 8 stories: 240

Alexan, 6 stories: 267

Leon, 5 stories: 220

If they blanket the site with 5 story apartment buildings they can easily double the number of units. If they're feeling more ambitious...

• Like 2

Midway, when it comes to large mixed-use certainly is good at looking long term. I don't think we will see anything on this for a couple years since they are already stacked with projects like crazy. If they do start another mixed-use center like City Centre then I hope that from the vast amount of experience they have gathered over the past several years they might try push the envelope both architecturally and planning. Do these developments NEED new streets dedicated to cars? Do they NEED parking surrounding the exterior of the site? Could a major mixed-use development like this maybe spur Metro to stretching light rail down the Washington Corridor? How far away is infrastructure in this area from being able to handle something a large as what could happen?

I also image this would be done in multiple phases like 5-10 years overall for the whole thing.

Just some fun speculation.

• Like 1

I am sure Midway is capable of multiple projects at the same time. City Centre is about to reach its potential anyway. In terms of expansion / design there isnt much more room to go outside of their latest expansion announcement.

I would assume that the same principlals that make city centre popular would apply and be expounded on at this site. I actually expect / hope for really great things. No doubt there should be residential, but there should be retail and office. If they can manage to throw in some green space in, how could this not be the focal point of washington avenue?

• Like 1

The site doesn't really seem to have great access which is why I am not sure it will end up being a "destination development."  I'm thinking it will be mostly denser multifamily with a retail component on Washington. I am doubtful of a significant office component mainly because it seems like the most likely site for it would be at the southwest corner adjacent to other nearby office across Waugh but that area has already been redeveloped into multifamily.

The site doesn't really seem to have great access which is why I am not sure it will end up being a "destination development." I'm thinking it will be mostly denser multifamily with a retail component on Washington. I am doubtful of a significant office component mainly because it seems like the most likely site for it would be at the southwest corner adjacent to other nearby office across Waugh but that area has already been redeveloped into multifamily.

Citycentre doesn't have great access.

• Like 1

so it sounds like they were talking about the site closer to the corner of waugh and memorial, not the archstone apartments... was that a misunderstanding? Can we get a little clarity?

1) we know archstone apartments are now owned by midway.

2) talk was previous of the redevelopement of the property near waugh dr and feagan st.

- does midway own this / plan to develop this?

• Like 1

The article says the apartments were recently renovated. That would tell me the sales price is not conducive to immediate redevelopment, and that Midway can get a nice revenue stream from the property. I would bet this is a long-term play for Midway.

Edited by fernz
  • Like 1