Buffalo Heights District: Mixed-Use Development At 100 Waugh Dr.

Ross

Man Reddit has a bunch of a-holes on it. Can't even post info there without getting killed. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "confirmed" but cmon it's so obvious. At least it's a lot more civil here.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Triton said:

Man Reddit has a bunch of a-holes on it. Can't even post info there without getting killed. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "confirmed" but cmon it's so obvious. At least it's a lot more civil here.

Got a link? I looked around on Reddit and could only find a single page with no comments on it (https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/4ailmb/heb_coming_to_washington_ave_see_second_page/

I don't think it's "obvious" until some concrete information is made available. After all, there was actual news in 2003 that H-E-B was going to build a store on the Southwest Beltway, and 12 years later, H-E-B delivered...with a Joe V's Smart Shop. There's also the possibility that the map was just misplaced, since it didn't say that H-E-B was "coming soon" specifically. I mean, Midway's brochure for Century Square shows a small map of the Northgate vicinity and places the location of the Rise on the properties that hold Taco Bell and McDonald's (the Rise is next door). 

In all honesty, I don't know what kind of reception you got on Reddit, and while I don't approve of Internet assholery, I think they have every right to be suspicious.

1 hour ago, IronTiger said:

In all honesty, I don't know what kind of reception you got on Reddit, and while I don't approve of Internet assholery, I think they have every right to be suspicious.

They absolutely have every right to be suspicious but it just got completely out of hand over there... making me out to be some bad guy. I've never seen that amount of assholes in my life.

Anyway, who cares what happens over there. Much prefer this community. :)

IronTiger, no I deleted it. I'll let someone else post it over there. Love the Houston subreddit and I've contributed a bunch of stuff over there...kinda shocked how it went over there

Edited by Triton

San Antonio-based H-E-B Grocery Co. has confirmed to Houston Business Journal that it is in talks to open a grocery store on a prime plot of land in the Heights area.

"We are still in the talking stages. We do not have anything solidified," saidCyndy Garza-Roberts, director of public affairs for H-E-B. "(We've) been in discussion for that site for months."

Big news this morning....

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2016/03/h-e-b-rep-were-in-discussions-for-a-plot-in-the.html

Edited by Triton

57 minutes ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Idk what happened but that quote is incredibly unfriendly for mobile...it's one letter a line 

Yea it came out weird. Either way, HEB confirmed they are working with Midway on that property.

http://swamplot.com/yes-h-e-b-is-really-talking-about-a-new-store-at-studemont-and-washington-ave/2016-03-16/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Triton said:

Yea it came out weird. Either way, HEB confirmed they are working with Midway on that property.

http://swamplot.com/yes-h-e-b-is-really-talking-about-a-new-store-at-studemont-and-washington-ave/2016-03-16/

So are we looking at a giant parking lot on Washington? I'm glad people are happy an HEB is going to be close to their homes. Not too excited about Katyville reaching full potential.

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

So are we looking at a giant parking lot on Washington? I'm glad people are happy an HEB is going to be close to their homes. Not too excited about Katyville reaching full potential.

If they can make a multifloor concept work here, we can avoid a huge lot and have a garage instead. I hope they aren't stubborn.

• 3 months later...

I have limited intelligence on this one, but I figured I would share. I've heard second hand that residents in the NW corner were given ample notice a few months back to find new apartments because their leases will not be renewed. After I heard this, I got to thinking...survey stakes went up around the Heights/Washington corner a few weeks ago. Maybe it's nothing...or maybe it's something?

• Like 3

Here's a pic of the first visible sign of progress here since the Dickson St. abandonment sign was put up last year. It looks like utilities and trees are being marked. Not in the pic: all the utility boxes in the way of the proposed extension of Leverkuhn St. are marked up and staked off.

100waugh.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere, but the lease memorandum signed by HEB for this site has some site plans in it.

The store will be sited on the NW corner of the property, at Heights & Washington. A little over 90,000 s.f. ground level, with parking on the 2nd floor, and what looks like four floors of apartments above that.

Looks like additional retail is slated for "Zone B" adjacent to HEB.

HEB Heights&Washington.pdf

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Angostura said:

Hadn't seen this posted anywhere, but the lease memorandum signed by HEB for this site has some site plans in it.

The store will be sited on the NW corner of the property, at Heights & Washington. A little over 90,000 s.f. ground level, with parking on the 2nd floor, and what looks like four floors of apartments above that.

Quite impressive. I am in favor of the phased approach. I believe that the HEB and apartments will be a huge success. I will surely be a customer there. I would even bet that the success of this would promote the other phases, with less risk.

HA! Laughing at all the people on Nextdoor and Reddit who told me they had strong connections with HEB heads and that HEB had no plans to build here. BOO-YAH! The Braun document was a big revelation but it was probably released too soon.

Edited by Triton

14 hours ago, Angostura said:

Wow! Slightly disappointed they went with the small setback and parking strip like Whole Foods on Post Oak rather than zero setback like Whole Foods Midtown. Maybe makes sense for this neighborhood. But still... wow!

I wonder what the timetable is.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Angostura said:

Layout from the PDF:

ArchstoneWashington.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Wow! Slightly disappointed they went with the small setback and parking strip like Whole Foods on Post Oak rather than zero setback like Whole Foods Midtown. Maybe makes sense for this neighborhood. But still... wow!

I wonder what the timetable is.

Thought the same thing, if for no other reason than to match the setback of the new apartments immediately to the south. Midtown is in a transit corridor, so setback requirements are different, but there's a lot of legacy zero-setback property on Washington, so a variance wouldn't be out of the question.

I haven't seen a timetable announced, but I'd guess mid-2018.

Also worth remembering that Whole Foods in downtown Austin has a huge parking lot setback, and nobody complains about that store and what it has done for the area. I hate to see compromise at such a key intersection, but if I were investing my money in such a low foot-traffic area, I would want the parking strip.

• Like 2

Sorry guys, can't find the right thread, but the latest Planning Commission Agenda has the Heights HEB on the agenda for the meeting on the 10th. I know it's not the right thread, but since there has been some discussion of this I figured I'd post it here.

Looks to be two levels of parking with the store itself on the 2nd floor.