Buffalo Heights District: Mixed-Use Development At 100 Waugh Dr.

Ross

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It took me awhile, but I finally got a chance to take another photo.   It didn't quite turn out like I was hoping for (still saving up for that smaller lens), but you get the general idea of how big this is going to be.

If you're on a cell phone, save your data plan and bail.  Look at it at home. DSC01090Stitch_zpsac8d61d8.jpg

EDIT:

Can we merge a couple of the archstone threads? it took me awhile to find this one.

Edited by ricco67
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

100 Waugh Drive is in the planning and design stages with Hines. The mixed-use complex in Midtown is expected to arrive in mid-2017 and will be highlighted by high-end hi-rise residential, a premiere hotel, and 650,000 square feet of Class A office space.

http://www.joneslanglasalle.com/ResearchLevel1/Houston-Office-Highlights-Q2-2014-JLL.pdf

• Like 6

Midtown? This is north of memorial if the address on my phone is correct. Lol. Awesome news though! Sounds like potentially 3 differently highrises..

Ahhhh, so this is the project. Think we'll have one of our members confirm this soon. ;)

This is what project?

• Like 1

Midtown? This is north of memorial if the address on my phone is correct. Lol. Awesome news though! Sounds like potentially 3 differently highrises..

This is what project?

The project swstig recently referred to as one being announced in the near future.

• Like 6

I don't see how a project of this magnitude can fit on that site.  Access would be a real issue.  

It's a pretty-good sized chunk of land...  at least 2.25 acres (1 1/2 times the size of a downtown block).  The site currently has two buildings (124,000 square foot office building and a parking garage) and the buildings take up less than 1/2 of the property.  Three buildings will be able to fit on the property pretty easily.

How is access going to be an issue?  It has good street frontage on Waugh and on Feagan.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

It's a pretty-good sized chunk of land...  at least 2.25 acres (1 1/2 times the size of a downtown block).  The site currently has two buildings (124,000 square foot office building and a parking garage) and the buildings take up less than 1/2 of the property.  Three buildings will be able to fit on the property pretty easily.

How is access going to be an issue?  It has good street frontage on Waugh and on Feagan.

Only one of the buildings proposed is nearly six times as large as the existing building. I guess it depends on the scale and type of hotel + resi components.    

Access is bad - Waugh is only one way at the site and is right before the merge onto Memorial.  Feagan is a narrow, tiny street with drainage issues.   

Only one of the buildings proposed is nearly six times as large as the existing building. I guess it depends on the scale and type of hotel + resi components.    

Access is bad - Waugh is only one way at the site and is right before the merge onto Memorial.  Feagan is a narrow, tiny street with drainage issues.   

They will at least have to add a left turn lane from northbound Waugh -- it backs up right now if 1 car is turning....might be tough with the ramp from Memorial entering right there...

• Like 1

They will at least have to add a left turn lane from northbound Waugh -- it backs up right now if 1 car is turning....might be tough with the ramp from Memorial entering right there...

They need to put a light at that intersection. That's what they need to do. Especially with that new apartment complex coming online. It's taken me up to 10 minutes just to turn left from Feagan onto Waugh/Heights Blvd.

I used to work at 100 Waugh back when it was the Gary Greene Tower.  For a while at least, Brown & Root owned it after Gary Greene; their modeling shop was on the bottom floor or two.  There is a lot more dirt associated with that property than what is apparent at first glance.

Access was a bit dodgy even back then, when the brontosauruses didn't move nearly as quickly, all phones had wires, and the only large apartment complex nearby was Bayou Whatever (edit:  we'll now call it Bayou Heights) next to St. Thomas.   IIRC, what we'd do if coming from any direction other than heading south on Yale was to cloverleaf as necessary and then exit Memorial at Jackson Hill, ultimately entering via Feagan.

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 1

A light at Feagan really would fix any access issues and would help Waugh work better anyway. This section is treated like a freeway interchange right now, and that really does need to be fixed.

There's definitely plenty of room here, but calling it Midtown makes me wonder if this is actually the right site. Although I have no idea how someone would accidentally write "Waugh."

• Like 1