Buffalo Heights District: Mixed-Use Development At 100 Waugh Dr.

Ross

• 2 months later...

Just a clarification, the "1200 units" will be the total including the existing buildings to the east and southeast (689 units in Bayou Park and 436 in Memorial Heights).  This new building only adds 232 units; the garden apartments that used to be there had 120 units.

So this section of land now sees twice as many housing units, plus a nearly 100,000 square foot H-E-B, plus nearly 40,000 square feet of other commercial space (mostly offices and a bit of retail).  That's a nice improvement in density and should be great for this location!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm not a fan of the front side parking. I with they could have incorporated parking underground and made the HEB fully open to pedestrians much how they're doing the Midtown Whole Foods. 

The design from the corner entrance of the store to the street intersection is nice. Let's not be too greedy with getting rid of the ease of access parking. Businesses have to provide the quick stop easy-in, easy-out parking option to keep shoppers happy. The Whole Foods on Post Oak has parking in front (in addition to structured) and that doesn't seem to diminish the more urban feel of Blvd Place.

The parking lot may have to do with required setback as well--if you can't build your building there because of planning standards, you might as well put parking. 

• Like 2

The parking spaces will give the store a more active vibe I suppose--retail likely performs better when the perception is that people actually shop there. On a side note, 22 Waugh, Gordy and Sons Outfitters, looks done for the most part. I'm pleasantly surprised at this redevelopment. Yay, preservation. That crusty old HCC building is finally being put to good use. All these tracts proposed as Buffalo Heights could really transform the area.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Midway Breaks Ground on Buffalo Heights District

The first phase of Buffalo Heights is now under construction, the Houston Business Journal confirmed with a Midway spokesperson. That phase will include the previously announced 96,000-square-foot H-E-B store, 230 upscale multifamily units at a property dubbed the St. Andrie, 2,000 square feet of retail space and three floors of boutique office space in One Buffalo Heights, the mixed-use development's office building.

The H-E-B, which should deliver in spring 2019, will include a walk-up coffee and food concept that'll offer to-go and casual dine-in service.

“When we learned of the plans for Buffalo Heights, we knew it was just the type of community more of Houston is going to want," Scott McClelland, Houston president of San Antonio-based H-E-B Grocery Co., said in a statement.

The H-E-B will offer multilevel parking, a departure from its traditional single-level, suburban-style stores.

Buffalo Heights' multifamily development, the St. Andrie, will include a fitness and yoga studio with views of a resort-style pool, per the spokesperson. An open-air lounge with an outdoor fireplace and large TVs, as well as a game room, private dining room and business lounge, will also be available to residents.

• Like 2

Hopefully this expands and creates a more integrated feel in the block bounded by heights and yale/Waugh south of Washington. Wouldn't hate to see the old J blacks, chatters, Enterprise etc... re-developed to create a more cohesive area. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I wonder if Gordy is working on getting the city to eliminate the cloverleaf interchange at Memorial and Waugh, as envisioned in the Buffalo Bayou master plan. That would really bring a sense of place to the area.

What would be the replacement?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

standard entrance and exit ramps, traffic signals, left turns...  I think the idea of removing the cloverleaf interchange has been pretty much abandoned.

I'd say that would be the perfect spot for a SPUI. Only question is if you keep running Waugh over Memorial, or elevate Memorial, keeping Waugh at surface level and facilitating development in the areas freed up by the removal of the outside ramps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pablog said:

This is the first time I've seen that plan, and I love it. I hope the city still follows this plan closely and references back to it. 

Buffalo Bayou Partnership is what's driving the plan, although the city may spend money on certain elements. They are getting the low-hanging fruit and kicking the far-fetched stuff down the road. Attention has shifted to the eastern stretch after the big west side makeover that ended last year.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ADCS said:

I'd say that would be the perfect spot for a SPUI. Only question is if you keep running Waugh over Memorial, or elevate Memorial, keeping Waugh at surface level and facilitating development in the areas freed up by the removal of the outside ramps.

I think the idea was more park land, not room for development.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I think the idea was more park land, not room for development.

No doubt there will be park land on the south side of Memorial, along with the area adjacent to Spotts Park, but I'd be shocked if the northwest side weren't developed. It's already isolated from the rest of the Buffalo Bayou Park system, and would be one of the most prime plots of land for a residential tower.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ADCS said:

Another of the configurations floated for this was "right-turn" ramps only, with michigan lefts (u-turn lanes on Waugh).

The only real area opened up for development would be on the NW corner of the intersection. The NE corner would probably be an expansion of Spotts Park, and the SE and SW corners would probably be given over to BBP. But selling the land on the NW corner could defray part of the cost.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Angostura said:

Another of the configurations floated for this was "right-turn" ramps only, with michigan lefts (u-turn lanes on Waugh).

The only real area opened up for development would be on the NW corner of the intersection. The NE corner would probably be an expansion of Spotts Park, and the SE and SW corners would probably be given over to BBP. But selling the land on the NW corner could defray part of the cost.

Hopefully if the cloverleaf is removed, Memorial would be stretched northward to create more parkland adjacent to the bayou. Floodplain is also a major factor. With all the high end development happening nearby, might not be a bad idea to have a large bowl/sponge right here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

I wasn't aware they owned all of that extra property...wonder if these boundaries might expand or have I just missed this info?

I had read they owned some of those commercial properties a few months back. Would like to see them consume lots like the old J Blacks, enterprise, etc to make that entire block more cohesive and conducive to walkable mixed use. And get rid of that smoke shop on the corner. 

As a side note, I wouldn't hate another Lifetime gym here. Citycentre's location is inconvenient to the point of demotivating to even attempt to go. Unless you office out of citycentre or live within 2 miles....

• Like 1