Buffalo Heights District: Mixed-Use Development At 100 Waugh Dr.

Ross

The article says the apartments were recently renovated. That would tell me the sales price is not conducive to immediate redevelopment, and that Midway can get a nice revenue stream from the property. I would bet this is a long-term play for Midway.

The apartments may have recently been "renovated" which probably means change out some appliances / new carpet. In all honesty, there is plenty of life left in these apartments.

However, I don't think Midway is in the business to buy apartment complexes to run them. I suspect they intend to demo / build as soon as they get everything in order. Evidence that the "renovation" means technically nothing? 1/6th the complex is already gone. Land is simply too valuable.

...Just my thoughts

The apartments may have recently been "renovated" which probably means change out some appliances / new carpet. In all honesty, there is plenty of life left in these apartments.

However, I don't think Midway is in the business to buy apartment complexes to run them. I suspect they intend to demo / build as soon as they get everything in order. Evidence that the "renovation" means technically nothing? 1/6th the complex is already gone. Land is simply too valuable.

...Just my thoughts

I actually toured this place when I moved back to the H in 2010. The Amenities are on par with the newer places, except instead of a wine storage there is a mini movie theater. The Pool is really spectacular though, I guess being an older place the palms have had time to mature but I really remember the pool setting these apartments apart from the rest. That's about it. The interiors were clean, newer carpet, they painted the cabinets, just a little sprucing up. The layout in the some of the units were odd, and If I remember correctly they had the "desktop computer nook" that I guess was a selling point back in the late 90's.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, the apartments seemed to be in good shape, pricing was a littler lower (At the time), than that of the newer builds. They do have some life in them.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

I think access is fine - you can't get to it DIRECTLY from multiple freeways, but you can scoot across various neighborhoods and get there - which should lead to that AHA! look what WE found thing that people like when they reach their destination - - that's always been the lure of the area - it's close to work or its close to home or its in between, and there are lots of interesting things tucked in here and there to keep people busy.  A concentration of business, home, and entertainment, restaurant would do WONDERFULLY here.  Will be fun to watch. 

• Like 1

I think access is fine - you can't get to it DIRECTLY from multiple freeways, but you can scoot across various neighborhoods and get there - which should lead to that AHA! look what WE found thing that people like when they reach their destination - - that's always been the lure of the area - it's close to work or its close to home or its in between, and there are lots of interesting things tucked in here and there to keep people busy.  A concentration of business, home, and entertainment, restaurant would do WONDERFULLY here.  Will be fun to watch. 

very nice insight, and I agree. there is tons of potential

• 3 months later...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6984067&postcount=8732

16903851950_b1da45e671_b.jpg

Description: A mixed-use podium structured project consisting of a 17 story residential apartment tower with amenity spaces and 14-story commercial office tower over 2 levels of below-grade parking and 10 levels of above-grade structured parking.

• Like 8

So, no hotel... 

The swingin' 60's are back!

I agree. This concept seems so out of touch with contemporary ideas of organizing space and creating campuses. Plus this shouldn't be the type of development that is championed inside the loop (i'm of course talking about how it's organized and will be on a "podium") Its like they wanted to build this as a homage to Greenway plaza then fell asleep for 3 decades. Woke up....oh no they built on all that land. Bought this new property and were dead set on building what was stylish 30 years ago....

This concept seems so out of touch with contemporary ideas of organizing space and creating campuses.

I'm not sure the space is sufficient to support a campus layout; campuses suggest lower density and more greenspaces (e.g. Exxon Mobil), and this tract is comparatively small. But the concept does appear a bit dated, though that's a complaint that can be lodged against other recent proposals (you hearing me, Cambridge?)

I'm not sure the space is sufficient to support a campus layout; campuses suggest lower density and more greenspaces (e.g. Exxon Mobil), and this tract is comparatively small. But the concept does appear a bit dated, though that's a complaint that can be lodged against other recent proposals (you hearing me, Cambridge?)

Maybe. I just hope whoever did that image was playing an April Fool's joke because that image style is ugly!

• 1 month later...

Who is developing this project?

Looks very midway to me

Midway has 100 Waugh labeled on a map in part of a updated leasing package for Kirby Grove.

Munoz Albin as the architect.. Looks similar to most of their stuff; they've designed most of Midways' developments.

pg. 4

http://midwaycompanies.com/img/leasing/leasing-packages/150518_Kirby_Grove_Marketing_Package.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Sounds like this is related as well:

We finalized master planning the first phase of an integrated live, work and play environment in one of the region’s most desirable in-fill locations. Close to Downtown, Memorial Park and Neartown, this unique property affords the rare opportunity to reinvent a community by delivering a healthy lifestyle built around local fresh food, outdoor activity and signature green space.

http://midwaycompanies.com/media/site-media/Publications/160208-Midway-AR-LO.pdf

23 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

This property is actually the first thing I thought of when Midway announced it's upcoming projects but didn't think of HEB with local fresh foods... I was thinking of something smaller.... still awesome news! Really excited for this project now... especially having an HEB so close!

23 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

This property is actually the first thing I thought of when Midway announced it's upcoming projects but didn't think of HEB with local fresh foods... I was thinking of something smaller.... still awesome news! Really excited for this project now... especially having an HEB so close!

Hmm...I wouldn't get TOO excited, given the questionable economy first and foremost but even if it does get built, I doubt it will be quite as exciting (or urban) as CityCentre.

I've never known as H-E-B (or any of its subsidiaries) not to operate a store with a large parking lot, after all, there was talk in the Fiesta Heights thread about H-E-B likely not wanting the site because it was only 4 acres instead of the preferred 6 acres. I wouldn't hold out hope for this to be some New Urbanism dream development at all, and neither should you, because no one likes browsing through pages of crying and complaining if (when?) it turns out to be several buildings floating in a sea of parking lots, or something like when they did when they rebuilt Westlake Square (strip mall + large apartment building).