Haif Guide To Opening Day

editor

I'd like the HAIF community to help out with a little project -- a HAIF Guide to Opening Day at Minute Maid Park.

I think a lot of people, especially those who don't come downtown regularly, could use a brief guide to what they can expect. And I know that the HAIfers here know everything about everything.

So, let's hear it. In your opinions --

• What is the best (easiest, fastest, or both) route to take to get to MMP?
  • What are the best places to park?
  • What interesting architectural details should people look for at MMP?
  • What are the best places to eat and drink inside the park?
  • What are the best places to eat and drink outside the park?
  • What are the best places to stay overnight?
  • Do you use any unusual services at MMP? (Babysitting?)
  • What are the best places to sit to catch a ball?
  • MMP trivia
  • Any other advice or information?

Even if you don't go to the games and just know the neighborhood, any advice is welcome advice. I'm hoping to have everyone's answers combined into a single document that people can print out a week or two ahead of Opening Day and then use throughout the season.

Very good questions! I buy a multi-game package every year, but I don't think I can even answer them all.

My route to MMP is the easiest, a staight shot down Harrisburg from Lockwood, park at Texas BBQ for $5. On the walk up I can spy in the windows of the lofts.

I personally don't eat inside the park other than the Peanut Guy. Don't buy pre-made stale popcorn at the big stands, there are a couple of small fresh popcorn kiosks. I need to consult my map on those. I am not usually a light beer drinker, but MMP has the Budweiser Select (black container) in the tall aluminun. Get it ice cold from the concourse beer vendors and it's better IMO than other lights.

Please don't buy the poured beer and attempt to slosh past me! If you can't balance it while walking down stairs, buy a can! I know it's tough as you can only get Heinies and Shiner in cups, but please learn how to carry.

Best place to eat and drink outside the park in Vic n Anthony's.

I know this is an architecture board, but I'm lame and have no answer for that one. I'm more intersted in the, eh, architecture of the players.

I've sat all over the park, and no ball ever comes near me.

Right behind homeplate is cool if you know someone who can score you a ticket, but the view of the field isn't as great, and sometimes you get to stare at the back of Barbara Bush's head all night.

Friday night games have a better atmosphere than Saturday games.

Met fans are the worst. Hands down. I see a Mets/Stros game every season and it just gets worse. Pigs.

Pick up a small bottle of hard liquor to imbibe before-hand; use expensive MMP beer only to keep you going through the game. You'll save a lot of money that way. Personally, I just don't have the attention span or an adequate level of interest to be a spectator throughout a whole game without being reasonably drunk.

Very good questions! I buy a multi-game package every year, but I don't think I can even answer them all.

My route to MMP is the easiest, a staight shot down Harrisburg from Lockwood, park at Texas BBQ for $5. On the walk up I can spy in the windows of the lofts.

I personally don't eat inside the park other than the Peanut Guy. Don't buy pre-made stale popcorn at the big stands, there are a couple of small fresh popcorn kiosks. I need to consult my map on those. I am not usually a light beer drinker, but MMP has the Budweiser Select (black container) in the tall aluminun. Get it ice cold from the concourse beer vendors and it's better IMO than other lights.

Please don't buy the poured beer and attempt to slosh past me! If you can't balance it while walking down stairs, buy a can! I know it's tough as you can only get Heinies and Shiner in cups, but please learn how to carry.

Best place to eat and drink outside the park in Vic n Anthony's.

I know this is an architecture board, but I'm lame and have no answer for that one. I'm more intersted in the, eh, architecture of the players.

I've sat all over the park, and no ball ever comes near me.

Right behind homeplate is cool if you know someone who can score you a ticket, but the view of the field isn't as great, and sometimes you get to stare at the back of Barbara Bush's head all night.

Friday night games have a better atmosphere than Saturday games.

Met fans are the worst. Hands down. I see a Mets/Stros game every season and it just gets worse. Pigs.

An excellent start. Thanks! Anyone else?

Pick up a small bottle of hard liquor to imbibe before-hand; use expensive MMP beer only to keep you going through the game. You'll save a lot of money that way. Personally, I just don't have the attention span or an adequate level of interest to be a spectator throughout a whole game without being reasonably drunk.

That's the spirit! Spectating Niche-style. But you are correct, MMP beer is for maintenance.

Sounds like a gal could buy you a few drinks and take you anywhere. Something to be said for that kind of low-maintenance versatility.

The good thing about baseball is that the pace of the game really lends itself to drinks, stats trading and conversation with your row-mates. Provided they're not Met fans or sloshers. :)

Archived