Cinco Ranch High School Or Seven Lakes High School

Daisy3600

We are going to be moving to the Katy area and I have some questions for those of you who are in the know.

If you had to choose between Cinco Ranch High School and Seven Lakes High School which would you choose?

Is there a Jr. High we should stay away from?

Is there a problem with Seven Lakes H.S.? The reason I ask this question is we know some people who are moving so their kids won't have to go to Seven Lakes and will go to Cinco Ranch. I have also noticed that 7 out of 8 houses for sale in Cinco Ranch feed into Seven Lakes High School.

What have you heard? What has been your experience?

Thanks!

They are both good schools and the answer to your question would be based on what you are looking for in a school. What are your children's interests and how good are they at what they do? Because at Cinco there are so many talented, say, swimmers as an example, that they have a HUGE team. At a newer school, unless you are an elite at your sport or other endeavour, there is more opportunity to participate. Same thing with band, both strong programs, Cinco's is huge though. You might get lost in the shuffle. My suggestion would be to visit the school during the lunch hour, you will learn a lot about the personality of a school.

I personally would choose Katy HS, it still has that small town feel.

Edited by Erick

You can't go wrong with either school. Seven Lakes is actually made up of students who were originally zoned to Cinco and some students from Katy High school. I lived in the area for 2 years before I decided to buy because I wanted to wait until I had decided on a high school - I would have been equally happy with either. The decision turned out to be my daughter's, b/c her friends were going to S.L.

I would imagine, given the neighborhoods that feed into both schools, that they are virtually identical. Seven Lakes is slightly less crowded at this time, but that is only because the neighborhoods around the school are still being built. Eventually, another high school will be built and students will shift around again. Any Jr highs that feed into either school will be good.

The reason you are seeing more homes for sale in the Seven Lakes area is because much of the area zoned to SL is brand new construction. And parents may new to the area who don't know the schools may be choosing Cinco because it has been around and has a known reputation. Seven Lakes is only a few years old, but believe me, it is on par with Cinco.

I think for students moving from another state/part of town, Seven Lakes might have the advantage of being full of other students new to the area - no one could possibly feel like the outsider.

Edited by cla

We are going to be moving to the Katy area and I have some questions for those of you who are in the know.

If you had to choose between Cinco Ranch High School and Seven Lakes High School which would you choose?

Is there a Jr. High we should stay away from?

Is there a problem with Seven Lakes H.S.? The reason I ask this question is we know some people who are moving so their kids won't have to go to Seven Lakes and will go to Cinco Ranch. I have also noticed that 7 out of 8 houses for sale in Cinco Ranch feed into Seven Lakes High School.

What have you heard? What has been your experience?

Thanks!

My older son graduated from Cinco and my youngest son currently goes to Seven Lakes. Both are great schools to get an education. The big difference is Cinco is more established and Seven Lakes is "up and coming". This is the first year that Seven Lakes will have a graduation class. We noticed a more established tradition at Cinco in the band program vs Seven Lakes which is constantly growing. Seven Lakes made the State Marching Band contest this year which was a big accomplishment. The Friday night football games at Cinco included many more wins as Seven Lakes won their very first varsity football game this year.

My older son seemed to enjoy Cinco and it did prepare him well for college as he is doing very good at his university.

My youngest son also enjoys Seven Lakes and his high school experience.

If I were just moving to the area either school is fine. One advantage Seven Lakes might have is that their are many new students to the area because of the incredible growth in the area. Other kids moving to the area would have that in common. I could of said the same thing about Cinco Ranch only a few years ago.

You asked about Jr High as well...

We recently had a rezoning over beckendorff jr hi and the new woodcreek jr high. Many neighborhoods very close to beckendorff will have to go to woodcreek even though it is further away... up katy gaston near I-10.

You can see the zoning map at www.katyisd.org If Jr Hi won't be immediately, I wouldn't sweat it. In 2011 there will be a new jr hi built by seven lakes high school, and many of us will be rezoned to that...closer to home.

Which leads to a big point in these parts of KISD, the population is booming, schools are being built and rezoned over and over again. No builder or realtor can promise you that you will stay at a certain school, so not the best idea to choose a house based on 1 favorite school. Seriously, there are people who live accross the street from one school and are rezoned to another.

descovy makes a good point - don't get too set on a school, because things can change. We live in the Lake Pointe section of Cinco right off Cinco Ranch Blvd near Cinco Crossing kind of equal distance between Seven Lakes and Cinco Ranch HS. Right now we are zoned to Seven Lakes, but it wouldn't surprise me to see us bounce back to Cinco Ranch HS by the time my kids are that age due to the development around Seven Lakes....but HS 7 will be done by that time so who knows where they will end up? The good thing is that most of the schools in the general area are solid.

Thanks for all the input. I was going to cout out Seven Lakes H.S., but we'll go ahead and look at homes that feed into S.L.

Now, tell me about the shopping. I live up here in the Woodlands and I am begining to realize I'm fortunate to have access to this great shopping.

Does Katy Mills Mall have any regular stores like Dillard's, Macy's or Sears?

Do you have a Kirby's close?

What about a Berryhill's?

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input. I was going to cout out Seven Lakes H.S., but we'll go ahead and look at homes that feed into S.L.

Now, tell me about the shopping. I live up here in the Woodlands and I am begining to realize I'm fortunate to have access to this great shopping.

Thanks!

You are minutes from West Houston in Katy. Memorial City Mall is much better than The Woodlands Mall IMHO. Also they are building a huge mall at the Grand PArkway and I-10, not to mention there is La Centera which is exactly like Market street. Also, CityCentre is being built, which will be like a Beverly Hills version of Market Street.

If you buy somewhere close to the Westpark, you could be at Nieman Marcus/Galleria within 20 minutes at non-peak hours.

We have better steak houses than Kirby's out this way. ;)

Thanks!

And there is a new Berryhill's open in the Villagio development at Westheimer Parkway and Peek rd.

We moved to Katy from The Woodlands 18 months ago. At that time the shopping just didn't compare, there was nothing like Market Street for example.

Things are changing very fast - there are upmarket shopping developments going up all over. Right now, Memorial City Mall as mentioned is about 20 minutes on the I-10, or Macy's, Sears and Dillards are also at West Oaks Mall if those are the stores you prefer.

• The title was changed to Cinco Ranch High School Or Seven Lakes High School