TheNiche

I don't shop at walmart because of how they have a tendency to push local business out of the way. While it's not noticeable in a larger city, it was quite blatant in some of the smaller towns I had visited.

For several years, I had a statement and a link in my signature as a sign of protest against that company.

A CEO's political views against them, but I go for what they, as a company stand for.

I recently found out that Mattress Mac was a major sponsor to an Anti Abortion campaign which sharply goes against my views on the topic, but that doesn't keep me from supporting and endorsing his business.

Now if the company told it's employees that they're fired if they don't follow his line of thinking on the topic, THEN I'd howl in protest.

Agreed on that Wal-Mart point. Plus they're just dirty here in Houston. And I get pretty good deals on groceries at HEB, Fiesta, and the like, so why even bother.

About politics - especially in a large city where there are many choices, why support a business that you know the leader supports views you are against (even passionately, at times)? Like choosing a local pizza place over Domino's because you think Tom Monaghan is kinda creepy. There's nothing wrong with doing a little research and voting with your dollars..

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that statement is "I vote for a president based on whether or not I think I could have a beer with him (and if he's white)."

Walmart is so disgusting.

I think you are overgeneralizing Walmart and thinking it as only a rural store. Go to any of the Houston area Walmarts stores and you will see it is mostly minority people who didn't vote for a president because he was white.

I think you are overgeneralizing Walmart and thinking it as only a rural store. Go to any of the Houston area Walmarts stores and you will see it is mostly minority people who didn't vote for a president because he was white.

I think you are overanalyzing my joke.

There are no Wal-Marts inside the Loop therefore all Wal-Marts are rural :blink::lol:

Agreed on that Wal-Mart point. Plus they're just dirty here in Houston. And I get pretty good deals on groceries at HEB, Fiesta, and the like, so why even bother.

About politics - especially in a large city where there are many choices, why support a business that you know the leader supports views you are against (even passionately, at times)? Like choosing a local pizza place over Domino's because you think Tom Monaghan is kinda creepy. There's nothing wrong with doing a little research and voting with your dollars..

My 67 year old mother is going to quit Curves gym because she found out that the owner uses profits to support militant pro-life groups and abstinence-only sex education. Go mom!

• 1 month later...

Does Whole Foods really have anything (worth buying) that my ghetto Fiesta on 23rd doesn't? I wouldn't think so. I've been there twice: once because someone gave us a gift card, and we used it all on wine. That was fine, but Spec's is better for wine. The other time, we had an awesome recipe for a hazelnut brown beer, and I searched everywhere for hazelnut extract but there was none to be found anywhere. And I don't buy raw beans by the pound, so...

Does Whole Foods really have anything (worth buying) that my ghetto Fiesta on 23rd doesn't? I wouldn't think so. I've been there twice: once because someone gave us a gift card, and we used it all on wine. That was fine, but Spec's is better for wine. The other time, we had an awesome recipe for a hazelnut brown beer, and I searched everywhere for hazelnut extract but there was none to be found anywhere. And I don't buy raw beans by the pound, so...

Whole Foods may be the only place to get tinned paté.

I once had the Food Network, and Rachael Ray had a 30 minute beef wellington recipe...

That's really the only reason I know that about the paté.

Yes. In general, their products are of good quality, and it's the only place where one can consistently find organic and "whole" foods (absent of high-fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, artificial dyes and flavors, antibiotics, hormones, etc.). They try hard to avoid such products, unlike Central Market and pretty much any standard grocer who will have shelves lined with heavily processed junk foods.

That said, I don't like what Whole Foods has become. It's too expensive and annoying (trendy) for my regular shopping. I go there for a few items I can't find anywhere else, but otherwise I have decent experiences at Fiesta and Randalls as long as I'm mindful of what I buy.

• 2 months later...

Quick update: the Waugh store is still on track to open between December 2010-February 2011.

I've always hoped that WFM could cut a deal with Fingers for the still unoccupied space in 1 Park Place. It makes sense as it's the same property owners and they could open both locations around the same time.

mark

Quick update: the Waugh store is still on track to open between December 2010-February 2011.

I've always hoped that WFM could cut a deal with Fingers for the still unoccupied space in 1 Park Place. It makes sense as it's the same property owners and they could open both locations around the same time.

mark

It is a bit more complicated than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Marvy Finger: "We should start April 15."

For those of you who don't patrol the Chronicle, this is from earlier in the week: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/heights/news/6865603.html

They've applied for building permit for Whole Foods. Finger says Whole Foods will break ground this Spring. The original plans for underground parking are intriguing... that could have added a level of urbanism to this developing corridor.

Finger said he hopes to break ground on the neighboring upscale apartment complex by the end of the year.

T-minus 2 months.

<br /><u>Marvy Finger</u>:  "<font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2">We should start April 15."</font></font><br /><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2"><br /></font></font><br /><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2">For those of you who don't patrol the Chronicle, this is from earlier in the week:  <a href='http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/heights/news/6865603.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='external'>http://www.chron.com...ws/6865603.html</a></font></font><br /><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2"><br /></font></font><br /><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="3"><font size="2">They've applied for building permit for Whole Foods.  Finger says Whole Foods will break ground this Spring.  The original plans for underground parking are intriguing... that could have added a level of urbanism to this developing corridor.</font></font></font><br /><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2"><br /></font></font><br /><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2">Finger said he hopes to break ground on the neighboring upscale apartment complex by the end of the year. </font></font><br /><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="3"><font size="2"><br /></font></font></font><br /><font face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><font size="2">T-minus 2 months.</font></font><br />
<br /><br /><br />awesomeness

i'd rather them wait an additional year and remain closer to the original plans but i think mary has whole foods by the short hairs on this one.... i believe this is going to be the first whole foods built and owned by an outside developer and leased by whole foods.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived