TheNiche

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

From the Chronicle today 9/14/09

Whole Foods Market is moving forward with its plan to build another inner-loop store in the Montrose area, the developer who owns the land said Monday.

The Finger Cos. said it has signed a long-term lease with the upscale grocer, which is finalizing plans to build a 40,000-square-foot outlet at the corner of Waugh Drive and West Dallas Street.

“We are looking forward to opening our 6th store in the Houston area and becoming a part of the Montrose community,” said Mark Dixon, Whole Foods Market Southwest regional president.

The Finger Cos. also is planning a luxury apartment complex on the site.

Screw Whole Foods.

The company's customers were famously progressive. They assumed that the company shared their values. But when the company's leader made clear his antipathy to one of their core beliefs, consumers were shocked, describing the situation as "utterly incredible" and "incongruous." Some quickly called for coordinated consumer action to weaken the company.

PH2009090102931.jpg

Rick Watts, 49, protests outside a Whole Foods store in West Hollywood, Calif. last month. The protest took place after John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods Market, wrote an op-ed piece for the Wall Street Journal about health care reform. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/shortstack/2009/09/whole_foods_boycott_the_long_v.html?hpid=news-col-blog

John Mackey needs to be FIRED. The tea baggers are calling for "buycotts." ... I care about progressive values, and as such, I will never set foot in one of their stores. Until their CEO is gone.

Screw Whole Foods.

The company's customers were famously progressive. They assumed that the company shared their values. But when the company's leader made clear his antipathy to one of their core beliefs, consumers were shocked, describing the situation as "utterly incredible" and "incongruous." Some quickly called for coordinated consumer action to weaken the company.

PH2009090102931.jpg

Rick Watts, 49, protests outside a Whole Foods store in West Hollywood, Calif. last month. The protest took place after John Mackey, the CEO of Whole Foods Market, wrote an op-ed piece for the Wall Street Journal about health care reform. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

http://voices.washin...d=news-col-blog

John Mackey needs to be FIRED. The tea baggers are calling for "buycotts." ... I care about progressive values, and as such, I will never set foot in one of their stores. Until their CEO is gone.

It's pretty ridiculous to boycott a store just because its CEO has different views than you. It's not like he doesn't want health care reform but has a different idea about it. Seems like a pretty knee-jerk reaction.

It's pretty ridiculous to boycott a store just because its CEO has different views than you. It's not like he doesn't want health care reform but has a different idea about it. Seems like a pretty knee-jerk reaction.

So it's okay for a CEO to use the company to voice his opinion (i.e. without the company, he would be a nobody and not get into the WSJ), but it's not okay for a customer to use the company to voice theirs? As far as I'm concerned, it should be a two way street.

---I think there is another thread on this subject also

September 14, 2009

North Montrose Civic Association

Developer: Whole Foods coming to Montrose

Copyright 2009 HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Sept. 14, 2009, 6:04PM

WholeFoods Market is moving forward with its plan to build anotherinner-loop store in the Montrose area, the developer who owns the landsaid Monday.

The Finger Cos.said it has signed a long-term lease with the upscale grocer, which isfinalizing plans to build a 40,000-square-foot outlet at the corner ofWaugh Drive and West Dallas Street.

"We are lookingforward to opening our 6th store in the Houston area and becoming apart of the Montrose community," said Mark Dixon, Whole Foods MarketSouthwest regional president.

The Finger Cos. also is planning a luxury apartment complex on the site.

TheNorth Montrose Civic Association is a non profit neighborhoodassociation that for nearly 30 years has promoted activism and socialinteraction through its civic minded volunteers with the purpose ofimproving our neighborhoods and overall quality of life. While ourneighborhood has undergone a radical transformation over the past 30years, many of the issues we face today are still quite the same. NMCAhas been at the forefront of working with residents, businesses,elected officials and other organizations and institutions to provide acohesive voice on those issues that affect our neighborhood.

A fish rots from the head.

And it's not just the health care issue... I'll leave it to others to do their own homework.

Support your local farmer's market instead.

So it's okay for a CEO to use the company to voice his opinion (i.e. without the company, he would be a nobody and not get into the WSJ), but it's not okay for a customer to use the company to voice theirs? As far as I'm concerned, it should be a two way street.

It's not like anything he says or does is going to have any influence on the issue at all, WSJ article or not. Heck, he probably doesn't even have a lot of influence on what happens at the store level, so I can't really see how a boycott (buycott? ugh) will make any difference.

And it's not just the health care issue... I'll leave it to others to do their own homework.

I love the farmer's market, but there are limitations.

Anyway, CEOs are a pretty vile bunch so its not really practical for me to boycott all the companies that I don't like the CEO of.

Make sure you check out the CEOs of all the other stores you go to also - make sure they dont have ideas you dont agree with....might be tough to find a store to go to !!

Make sure you check out the CEOs of all the other stores you go to also - make sure they dont have ideas you dont agree with....might be tough to find a store to go to !!

The issue isn't what a CEO personally thinks. The problem is when he abuses his position in order to attempt to influence the debate (like going out of his way to write an article for the WSJ).

The issue isn't what a CEO personally thinks. The problem is when he abuses his position in order to attempt to influence the debate (like going out of his way to write an article for the WSJ).

we need more people involved, not less. I don't see this as going out of his way but rather someone who has an opinion and is willing to express it. happens everyday.

we need more people involved, not less. I don't see this as going out of his way but rather someone who has an opinion and is willing to express it. happens everyday.

We need more people involved, not less. I don't see [bryanS & brian0123] as going out of their way but rather someone who has an opinion and is willing to express it. Happens everyday.

But you know what you're getting into, with other stores. Whereas loyal Whole Foods customers got the bait-and-switch.

I would not have any issues with the Wal-Mart CEO holding those kinds of views. Because he's the Wal-Mart CEO. What do you think would happen if the Wal-Mart CEO endorsed any of Obama's more controversial programs? Do you think all those conservative, cheap Wal-Mart customers would just brush something like that off? I don't think so.

If anything, the Whole Foods CEO is an idiot for 1.) Not knowing his customer case, and 2.) Opening his big mouth in the first place.

...and to the comment that he doesn't really run the company, or have any influence... then what's the point to even having a CEO? He needs to go, along with everyone else on the board like him. You need a hippie. Or at least a person that thinks like one...

Healthcare and a sustainable food supply are frankly separate issues. There may be some demographics overlap but really one is not related to the other. Just because Whole Foods promotes eating quality food doesn't mean their CEO has to sign on to all varieties of liberal politics.

But you know what you're getting into, with other stores. Whereas loyal Whole Foods customers got the bait-and-switch.

I would not have any issues with the Wal-Mart CEO holding those kinds of views. Because he's the Wal-Mart CEO. What do you think would happen if the Wal-Mart CEO endorsed any of Obama's more controversial programs? Do you think all those conservative, cheap Wal-Mart customers would just brush something like that off? I don't think so.

Actually, the CEO of Walmart joined with the Service Employees International union in supporting Obama's healthcare initiative for employer provided health insurance, as well as a mandate for requiring the uninsured to get insurance, a requirement included in Max Baucus' plan released today. He was immediately attacked for that stance, not by Walmart customers, but by the Retail Trade Foundation, an industry trade group.

I really hope you're joking, because, no, I don't see Wal-Mart customers doing that. I have yet to meet a wal mart customer who shops there because it makes some sort of statement about them and their values.

Neither of the two Rice Epicurean markets are very far away. If you dislike Whole Foods' CEO, just shop elsewhere. Rice is a locally-owned private company (big plus in my book) plus the political views of the CEO Gary Friedlander don't show in the first couple pages of a quick google search. Actually, I doubt they appear anywhere on the web. If politics were really an important factor, you'd have been shopping at Rice already anyhow.

Actually, the CEO of Walmart joined with the Service Employees International union in supporting Obama's healthcare initiative for employer provided health insurance, as well as a mandate for requiring the uninsured to get insurance, a requirement included in Max Baucus' plan released today. He was immediately attacked for that stance, not by Walmart customers, but by the Retail Trade Foundation, an industry trade group.

Interesting.

There you have it folks: buy your groceries at Wal-Mart... or Rice Epicurean.

I really hope you're joking, because, no, I don't see Wal-Mart customers doing that. I have yet to meet a wal mart customer who shops there because it makes some sort of statement about them and their values.

Oh, I have. They make a statement alright.

I don't shop at walmart because of how they have a tendency to push local business out of the way. While it's not noticeable in a larger city, it was quite blatant in some of the smaller towns I had visited.

For several years, I had a statement and a link in my signature as a sign of protest against that company.

A CEO's political views shouldn't be held against them, but I go for what they, as a company stand for.

I recently found out that Mattress Mac was a major sponsor to an Anti Abortion campaign which sharply goes against my views on the topic, but that doesn't keep me from supporting and endorsing his business.

Now if the company told it's employees that they're fired if they don't follow his line of thinking on the topic, THEN I'd howl in protest.

Archived