TheNiche

This seems pretty close to the Whole Foods on Kirby, but I guess inner loopers love them some Whole Foods. I like certain speciality items from Whole Foods, but I can't do my full on grocery shopping there, you can't find things like Doritos and Oreos. Anyways, so is this pretty close to Regent Square? Hey, if this and the BLVD Place one are built, there will be a Whole Foods triangle, kinda.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This seems pretty close to the Whole Foods on Kirby, but I guess inner loopers love them some Whole Foods. I like certain speciality items from Whole Foods, but I can't do my full on grocery shopping there, you can't find things like Doritos and Oreos. Anyways, so is this pretty close to Regent Square? Hey, if this and the BLVD Place one are built, there will be a Whole Foods triangle, kinda.

The store is also servicing Memorial heights, Rice Military, etc...it's kind of surprising, but there's not one grocery store west of downtown and east of Westcott (memorial park) for the entire area between Dallas and I-10.

Glad to see this is finally confirmed! It's been the rumor at the office for months now (I work in the AIG tower). The location makes sense because it's convenient to midtown, montrose and the heights. And that Alabama Whole Foods is always jammed.

Yay! A new place to eat lunch and do shopping after work without having to move my car from the parking garage!

My understanding is that the other Fingers parcel acquired from AIG, on Dallas and Montrose, will be residential only.

The comments in the Chron article are priceless. Lost of Whole Foods envy by people outside of the loop, and a significant amount of vitriol directed at 2d Baptist Church for seeing to the demise of the Woodway store. Wow. Remember when Whole Foods was just that Hippie grocery store at the Alabama Center? I find the whole frenzy rather amusing. But I can't help but be excited about the development of this parcel.

Now excuse me while I enjoy my fair trade coffee and soy milk before I head out to work.

It sounds like although it'll have apartments and maybe a residential tower in the future, it's still gonna have a suburban feel. Do yall get that, too, or is it just too early to tell?

I drove by this morning and wondered the same thing, especially in light of the comments about the West Gray Kroger parking lot being jammed. I get the feeling that it going to be a suburban style massive parking lot with a market and some retail -- I don't really see another way. I keep suspecting that the apartments will run along the Dallas frontage, if any. I like a lot of Finger's stuff and I hope that they will do something a little different but I keep envisioning the suburban kind of feel you are talking about.

The thing with Whole Foods is that they are the perfect tenant to try something a little out of the ordinary with their design. People go there because they want to go to Whole Foods, not because they just need to stop by the market. I think their customers would handle a little variation from the norm quite well.

I wish HEB and Central Market would get their act together and open up some decent stores inside the loop.

I live near the WF on Bellaire, but rarely go to it. The parking lot is, however, always packed. I'm sure the demand is there for their new location on Waugh.

Great news! This is long overdue. We are in sore need of grocery stores over here. Glad to see it's Whole Foods! Never understood why they wouldn't put one in the Heights though.

the heights doesn't have a whole foods feel to me. I see it having more of a trader joes feel.

Trader Joe's ...You hit it on the head, that place totally has a Heights feel to it no matter where you are in the country. The same thing could be said for an area like the east end, I could see a Trader Joes there before a whole Foods.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
\What I've heard from Cushman Wakefield is the Dallas/Montrose piece is strictly residential and the Dallas/Waugh piece is retail. Who knows, though. They were only the brokers. AIG corporate ain't talking, other than to announce it sold to Finger.

The sign on the property says:

Restaurant: 8,000 square feet

Retail: 21,000 square feet

The Whole Foods on the property is planned at 50,000 square feet, which is larger than the average 38,000 square feet for a typical Whole Foods (per the Sarnoff article from earlier this year).

• 1 month later...

Workers have staked off the property over the past week. The areas staked off stretch from W. Dallas and Waugh (the Whole Foods site) to W. Dallas and Eberhard (across from Vincent's and Nino's). I haven't noticed any changes to the property that is between Eberhard and Montrose.

It's a little hard to see the stakes, but here are a few pictures. This could end up being a very nice addition to the neighborhood:

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

actually, you're right. I got the positioning of the buildings wrong, plus I thought THAT development had TWO cranes working on it, but I guess not.

I also seem to remember two cranes. Maybe I dreamed that up, but the construction appears to be nearing completion, so they may have taken one down.

Quick update: A significant portion of the parking lots on the South side of the complex are blocked off and empty. A bulldozer was brought in and is now sitting in one of the blocked off parking lots.

You can see some of the area that's blocked off in one of the pictures above.

Archived